E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Can you enjoy yourself without drinking?

12-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #23
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post
MMMM MMMMMMMM BITCHES!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #24
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
I only drink once and a while since I've become somewhat of a health nut, and its usually only when I'm at a bar or club. I guess I'll have to make up for wasted time this New Year's Eve.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 06:53 PM   #25
brokemywallet
Slaveaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I've never drank in my life. Sipped a beer once as a kid and a small glass of wine once, but other than that, never. Don't care for the taste and don't feel the need to acquire a taste for it.
yeah, i am the same way too.......

I don't know what it is, but the taste of some beers gross me out. but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #26
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
^ You guys need to try liquor.

I hate the taste of wine (both red and white), and don't really care for beer either, but I love the taste of a good vodka.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #27
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I don't drink. So the answer is yes I can enjoy myself without alcohol.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:28 AM   #28
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
I don't drink. So the answer is yes I can enjoy myself without alcohol.
+1 I get ragged on for not drinking, but I want my body to be in the best shape possible, and drinking does not help in doing so. Why would I bust my ass at the gym only to go drink?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #29
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
+1 I get ragged on for not drinking, but I want my body to be in the best shape possible, and drinking does not help in doing so. Why would I bust my ass at the gym only to go drink?
Because medical studies indicate that drinking (red wine in particular) in moderation has definite health benefits?

http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition.../red_wine.html
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #30
radix
No_Country
Rep

To answer the original question, no I don't require alcohol to have a good time, but a couple of drinks can make things more interesting.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #31
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmcguire View Post
To answer the original question, no I don't require alcohol to have a good time, but a couple of drinks can make things more interesting.
wash 2 down with a dozen more, that should be really interesting
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #32
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Because medical studies indicate that drinking (red wine in particular) in moderation has definite health benefits?

http://www.ynhh.org/online/nutrition.../red_wine.html
Yeah, I know about this already, but that's completely different than what we are talking about here dude, lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #33
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

i'm on my 3rd bud light tonight......cheap beer for a cheap buzzzzzzz....
      12-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #34
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Yeah, I know about this already, but that's completely different than what we are talking about here dude, lol.
Not really. You posited - to paraphrase - that you'd be hurting your health, in particular, undoing the work you've done at the gym, by drinking. I merely posted that link to show you that isn't necessarily so, and in fact moderate drinking helps reduce the risk of heart disease, improves good cholesterol, and helps lower bad cholesterol. I replied to the OPs question in a separate post.

Don't mistake my intention, I was only trying to be helpful and not trying to bash your lifestyle.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 01:44 AM   #35
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
wash 2 down with a dozen more, that should be really interesting
The last time a drank like that was about 5 years ago. I had a bottle of red wine (two buck chuck), a very large quantity of vodka and cranberry juice, and four scotch doubles neat that night. I think there might have been a couple of beers in there somewhere too, but I can't remember. I threw up. A lot. After that I promised I'd never get that shit faced again.

Now I limit myself to the lesser of four beers or a drink an hour. Most weeks I have a couple of beers once a week with a friend of mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 02:14 AM   #36
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
Not really. You posited - to paraphrase - that you'd be hurting your health, in particular, undoing the work you've done at the gym, by drinking. I merely posted that link to show you that isn't necessarily so, and in fact moderate drinking helps reduce the risk of heart disease, improves good cholesterol, and helps lower bad cholesterol. I replied to the OPs question in a separate post.

Don't mistake my intention, I was only trying to be helpful and not trying to bash your lifestyle.
I think you misunderstood my last post. I completely understand where you are coming from. I was trying to say that yes, I already knew about the benefits of drinking red wine. Thanks for pointing it out anyways though.

When I said, "...but that's completely different than what we are talking about here dude..." I was meaning drinking (red wine) for health is completely different than what the OP was talking about, at least that was with the assumption that he was talking about drinking for fun, meaning beer, liquor, etc.

I think we understand each other now.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #37
A/J
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G22 M440I on order

Some mixed responses! …sounds like a lot of people think drunk people are annoying but if you cant beat em join em!lol

…the reason I askd is cos until recently i used to drink like a normal person/fish but a couple of months back alcohol started leaving me fked up, like unable to think straight for a few days after any drink (even half a beer!)….. weird huh! …. (out of interest anyone else ever had this?)

…good to know a lot of you get up to the same partying sober!

Last edited by A/J; 12-20-2008 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 05:20 AM   #38
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/J View Post
Some mixed responses! …sounds like a lot of people think drunk people are annoying but if you cant beat em join em!lol

…the reason I askd is cos until recently used to drink like a normal person/fish but a couple of months back alcohol started leaving me fked up, like unable to think straight for a few days after any drink (even half a beer!)….. weird huh! …. (out of interest anyone else ever had this?)

…good to know a lot of you get up to the same partying sober!

I'd say if alcohol really has that much of an effect on you then it's probably best to stick to the near-beer. That is strange that half a beer would leave you disoriented for two days though... really strange. Question... are you Asian? I see you're in the UK, but still...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 05:29 AM   #39
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

i dont need to drink to have a good time, but it sure as shit doesnt hurt to be a little drunk. plus, i really enjoy playing beer pong. the past 5 weekends, 6-7 of my friends and i have averaged $50 on beer per night
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 05:31 AM   #40
A/J
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G22 M440I on order

i am indian.... ive heard some asian people have a neagtive reaction, but ive never had any skin probs form it!...+ itd be quite wierd to affect me now, esp after my collage years!lol
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 05:39 AM   #41
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
i am indian.... ive heard some asian people have a neagtive reaction, but ive never had any skin probs form it!...+ itd be quite wierd to affect me now, esp after my collage years!lol
Yep, you nailed the reason I was asking. ~50% of asians are susceptible to alcohol flush reaction. That's not to say that other people are guaranteed to be immune however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction

This is interesting though...

"Much anecdotal evidence suggests that ingestions of low doses of heartburn medicine, containing ranitidine or famotidine (such as Zantac or Pepcid AC), may be able to relieve the body of the symptoms if taken an hour before drinking.[4]

It is not known definitively why ranitidine and famotidine may, in some cases, but not all, help reduce the symptoms of the alcohol flush reaction."

The reason I asked is that I knew a Japanese government contractor when I was in our Marine Corps. We took him out drinking on his birthday only to find out he didn't react well to alcohol. He explained why later, but was too shy to refuse the offer at the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 05:55 AM   #42
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Yep, you nailed the reason I was asking. ~50% of asians are susceptible to alcohol flush reaction. That's not to say that other people are guaranteed to be immune however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction

This is interesting though...

"Much anecdotal evidence suggests that ingestions of low doses of heartburn medicine, containing ranitidine or famotidine (such as Zantac or Pepcid AC), may be able to relieve the body of the symptoms if taken an hour before drinking.[4]

It is not known definitively why ranitidine and famotidine may, in some cases, but not all, help reduce the symptoms of the alcohol flush reaction."

The reason I asked is that I knew a Japanese government contractor when I was in our Marine Corps. We took him out drinking on his birthday only to find out he didn't react well to alcohol. He explained why later, but was too shy to refuse the offer at the time.

when joking about beer in class, my high school chem teacher told us he was allergic to alcohol. he was vietnamese
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:24 AM   #43
dreamk
Banned
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
...are you able to party like a rockstar - completely sober!?
party like a rockstar - completely sober!?

how can you party sober? how can u be sober.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #44
Jred22
Meat Puppet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
The last time a drank like that was about 5 years ago. I had a bottle of red wine (two buck chuck), a very large quantity of vodka and cranberry juice, and four scotch doubles neat that night. I think there might have been a couple of beers in there somewhere too, but I can't remember. I threw up.
That's the anmcguire i want to get to know.
Appreciate 0