E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Official cigar thread

06-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #89
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTexan View Post
I don't know, $150-$200 I would assume is fair.

I'll check out the one's recommended, thanks.
I was joking about the coolerdor, but they do actually work. I have a buddy who has ordered a couple from this site:

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/

you could browse around and maybe give them a shot.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 02:57 AM   #90
radix
No_Country
Rep

I had a Por Larranaga Petite Corona (PLPC) in the humi that unfortunately appeared to be unravelling a tiny bit, so I figured it's time to smoke it. If you are looking for the greatest bang for the buck in terms of cuban cigars, this is it ladies and gentlemen, at least imo. This cigar is imo, 4.5 out of 5 stars. Considering that this cigar, usually purchased in a 50 cab, sells for about $4.25 USD per stick, I can't think of a cigar that beats it in terms of flavor.

Tonight I smoked this particular PLPC with some Remi VSOP (my favorite congac at the VSOP level). This smoke had approximately 3.5 years age on it. In terms of overall strength I'd rate the PLPC a 5.5-6.5 out of ten, in other words medium. Tonight's smoke yielded earthy, leathery, and peppery overtones that at times bordered on spicy. Of course that unmistakable Habanos flavor was always there as well. Surprisingly, the cigar finished on a somewhat sweet note. Roughly the last one third was distinctly sweet. I don't remember PLPC ending that way, but that's how it went with my palate, with this smoke, on this evening.

The lingering aftertaste in my mouth can only be described as vegetable. This cigar is quite the complicated little smoke, and ~$4.25 a smoke, if you haven't tried one you really should.

How much did I enjoy this PLPC? This much:

Name:  IMG_20100702_023958.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  258.7 KB

Experienced smokers will of course notice that this is roughly the point at which smoking the cigar begins to become uncomfortable both for the hand and the lips. Please excuse the breach of cigar etiquette, you're quite right if you noticed that I didn't let the cigar die a dignified death, but I wanted to post my thoughts while they were still fresh on my mind.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #91
radix
No_Country
Rep

For those who don't know what I mean by cigar smokers etiquette, this will help:

http://www.cigartrends.com/etiquette.php

Follow these rules, or don't, some people might be offended if you don't, I personally, will not. Cigar smoking is a personal thing, and whatever you get enjoyment out of that is not rude to other people is fine with me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #92
radix
No_Country
Rep

I just came across this, and apparently I'm not crazy.

http://theboxpress.com/2008/04/02/po...t-corona-cuba/

Quote:
For the first half inch, there is a pronounced musty flavor — part earth, part damp leather with maybe a touch of clove. Not unpleasant, just unusual. That flavor doesn’t linger for long, however. It fades almost instantly into a toasty finish. By the end of the first third, the PLPC begins to resemble the ERDM Choix Supreme. Its medium body is accented by a long, honey-like finish. Not syrupy sweet, but it coats the palate nicely.

There is no spice to speak of, but that’s not to suggest this smoke won’t hold your attention. In fact, it has unusual depth for its modest size. On the second half, it has interesting hints of graham cracker, dashes of earth that come and go, and a finish that some have likened to kettle corn.
As far as the points in bold go:

1. Agreed, but replace clove with pepper.

2. It wasn't until the last 1/3rd of the cigar that I experienced sweetness.

3. It's not spice imo, but it's close to spice. Again, as I suggested earlier there was a peppery flavor for me.

4. I didn't get graham cracker, but I did get sweetness towards the end, and the aftertaste was definenitely vegetable, although not distinctly corn, if anything I'd have to choose celery, and maybe even a hint of cucumber.

It's odd how close my palate is to that of this reviewer's in terms of taste. Interestingly, he gave it an 89 out of 100, whereas I gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars. 4.5 x 20 = 90 out of 100. I'd disagree with his comments about value only being average, I think the value of this smoke is outstanding. Perhaps that's a result of what seems to me to be an overall price drop over the past couple of years. Anyhow, all of my present sources are about $1 a stick cheaper than that of the reviewer of this article.

I'd also agree that the PLPC has never been a pretty cigar. They're veiny, and look as though they were rolled by an army of retarded monkeys.

Last edited by radix; 07-02-2010 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #93
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

I've enjoyed PLPC, but they just aren't strong enough for me. They are good cigars, and a very good entry cuban cigars for a novice.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #94
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: valvetronic engaged

For cheap I also used to smoke Jose Piedras on the regular. Around $2/pop, the things looked like Backwoods, no joke. But damn they were good for what they were....

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #95
Baoer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Coupe

had one of those mini torpedo punch cigars. it was good until towards the end when all i tasted was something i cant put my finger on but was not good. i almost want to say i tasted all lighter fluid or something which is odd since i used a butane to light my stogie up. i actually really like the mini torpedo partarguas better
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #96
OEMconcept
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Smoked a couple of Bolivar Coronas over the weekend. Excellent cigar, smooth from the beginning to the end. A+ in my books
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 09:00 AM   #97
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baoer View Post
had one of those mini torpedo punch cigars. it was good until towards the end when all i tasted was something i cant put my finger on but was not good. i almost want to say i tasted all lighter fluid or something which is odd since i used a butane to light my stogie up. i actually really like the mini torpedo partarguas better
Cuban or Honduran for the Punch? I ask because for just about every Cuban brand name there's a Honduran, Nicaraguan, or Dominican counterpart. Can you post a photo of the cigar? If you really got a Cuban Punch Torpedo, then you're pretty lucky man, because those were limited edition available only in England. Torpedoes are a vitola not normally a associated with the Habanso s.a. Punch.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #98
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMconcept View Post
Smoked a couple of Bolivar Coronas over the weekend. Excellent cigar, smooth from the beginning to the end. A+ in my books
Agreed, I think I only like the BBF better as far as Bolivar goes. I tend to stay away from churchills and double coronas. I'll smoke lanceros though.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #99
Baoer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Cuban or Honduran for the Punch? I ask because for just about every Cuban brand name there's a Honduran, Nicaraguan, or Dominican counterpart. Can you post a photo of the cigar? If you really got a Cuban Punch Torpedo, then you're pretty lucky man, because those were limited edition available only in England. Torpedoes are a vitola not normally a associated with the Habanso s.a. Punch.
i had myself the honduran. i'm not so lucky to find a local with cubans nor can i actually afford to...hahahaha...i'm pretty new to it, i enjoy the milder ones and from time to time a maduro. i actually had one of the mini 12 year rocky patel over the weekend.

i'm starting to really like everything they put out
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #100
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 e90

Had my second Cain cigar yesterday. These seem promising.
      08-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #101
OEMconcept
Canada
Rep

Had a Partagas Serie D No. 4 over the weekend, and I have taken a great liking to this stog. One of my favorites for sure, just so smooth from beginning to end. A+++
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #102
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: valvetronic engaged

Rocky Patel 1961 Robusto...excellent.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #103
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M

when the fuck did this thread show up!?

On a side note has anyone tried the La Flor Dominicana Doulbe Liegero 660?

tell me how much you love it, bcus i havent found any cigar to beat it if your looking for alot of spice and nicotine..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #104
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMconcept View Post
Had a Partagas Serie D No. 4 over the weekend, and I have taken a great liking to this stog. One of my favorites for sure, just so smooth from beginning to end. A+++
I've read good things about this stick, I think i will give it a try today, however its 20 bucks, i can get almost 2 romeo & julietta's for that.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #105
OEMconcept
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000gsr View Post
I've read good things about this stick, I think i will give it a try today, however its 20 bucks, i can get almost 2 romeo & julietta's for that.
You cant even compare! You'll love it! Let us know how you enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #106
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyCSL View Post
when the fuck did this thread show up!?
06-15-2010, 03:47 AM
      08-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #107
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I'm a complete newb when it comes to cigars. Reading this thread made me crave a cigar. What should I start with? I don't have any experience so can't compare and what not. Should I still start by buying a box?

I'd prefer to start with something mild and not too spicy. TIA for any help.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #108
Baoer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

go to a local, ask about a milder one is my suggestion...that's what i did.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 01:37 AM   #109
e92justin
LCpl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

do black and milds count?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #110
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

You'll never guess how much I pay for these.

Appreciate 0