E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Road bikes?

08-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #67
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
damn you guys ride 45mph? thats good he found his ring. im not gonna have anybody to ride with. i told all my friends about me starting this riding for a new hobbie and they just laughed at me and called me gay. uugghh...of course i got the speedo jokes too. but no big deal. this seems like a fun hobbie and it will get me in better shape. i have gained 70 in the last 2 years due to a back injury so now its time to drop them off. how do i go about installing a bottle holder? i seen a bike with 2 of them. one on the frame and the other on the back of the seat.
Very easy to get up to that on a downhill stretch. The pros can get to 65mph + on a long steep downhill.

The bike will have at least one (should be two) sets of bosses in the middle triangle of the frame where you can install cages. New bikes come with the hardware, you essentially just need the cages... very easy to do with an allen wrench.

F your friends.... you do what you gotta do to loose the weight, etc. In the long run, they'll be admiring you for it. Just use this as motivation to prove them wrong.

You might check around for a group ride to get on. Local bike shops will usually have them... might also check craigslist, etc. Being that you are pretty new, you'll want to go to one that is a "no drop" ride so that you don't get lost/left in the dust. Keep in mind though that these rides are typically 25miles + so you might want to do some training on your own first so you can get your stamina where it needs to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #68
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
damn you guys ride 45mph? thats good he found his ring. im not gonna have anybody to ride with. i told all my friends about me starting this riding for a new hobbie and they just laughed at me and called me gay. uugghh...of course i got the speedo jokes too. but no big deal. this seems like a fun hobbie and it will get me in better shape. i have gained 70 in the last 2 years due to a back injury so now its time to drop them off. how do i go about installing a bottle holder? i seen a bike with 2 of them. one on the frame and the other on the back of the seat.
it's not that fast, we weren't even pedaling, just coasting. I only mentioned the speed because it's a little nerve racking hitting a pothole at that speed, for me at least. Descending really steep roads is less about power and more about how big your balls are.

For the bottles, the bike should come with holes drilled on the down tube and the seat tube for cages. Just remove the bolts, put the cages on and tighten them back down. There should be two sets of holes so you can hold two bottles. They make cages that mount on the back of the seat but I would just ride with the two bottles on the frame for a while. In the beginning, you probably won't be riding long enough distances to need more than two bottles anyway.
      08-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #69
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Very easy to get up to that on a downhill stretch. The pros can get to 65mph + on a long steep downhill.

The bike will have at least one (should be two) sets of bosses in the middle triangle of the frame where you can install cages. New bikes come with the hardware, you essentially just need the cages... very easy to do with an allen wrench.

F your friends.... you do what you gotta do to loose the weight, etc. In the long run, they'll be admiring you for it. Just use this as motivation to prove them wrong.

You might check around for a group ride to get on. Local bike shops will usually have them... might also check craigslist, etc. Being that you are pretty new, you'll want to go to one that is a "no drop" ride so that you don't get lost/left in the dust. Keep in mind though that these rides are typically 25miles + so you might want to do some training on your own first so you can get your stamina where it needs to be.

i looked closer at the bike nline and it did have 2 sets of bosses on it. should i also buy these at the bike shop? i seen them on amazon and they got horrible reviews. and you are right about the f my friends part. they not doing anything but wasting their money on other useless shit like 26' rims that they cant afford haha. man i wish they would smarten up sometimes.yea i was thinking the same thing about checking a local bike shop fow when the next ride is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
it's not that fast, we weren't even pedaling, just coasting. I only mentioned the speed because it's a little nerve racking hitting a pothole at that speed, for me at least. Descending really steep roads is less about power and more about how big your balls are.

For the bottles, the bike should come with holes drilled on the down tube and the seat tube for cages. Just remove the bolts, put the cages on and tighten them back down. There should be two sets of holes so you can hold two bottles. They make cages that mount on the back of the seat but I would just ride with the two bottles on the frame for a while. In the beginning, you probably won't be riding long enough distances to need more than two bottles anyway.
ok but where and what brand of cages did you guys get? like i said before im no brand whore. but some decent bottles and cages would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #70
Feyd
Major
Rep

Almost any cage will work for you. They are a universal size so if you end up getting them online, don't worry they'll fit your frame just fine. It really comes down to color/style/material, and lastly how much you want to spend.

You can get them at your local shop, but you can probably get them online for less.

nashbar.com
performancebike.com
jensonusa.com
treefortbikes.com
speedgoat.com

are just a few of the sites out there where these types of things are available.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #71
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok but where and what brand of cages did you guys get? like i said before im no brand whore. but some decent bottles and cages would be awesome.
for cages it doesn't really matter, they all do the job, buy whatever you think looks cool. They make carbon fiber cages but they're usually $40+ each. For a while though Walmart was selling CF cages by Bell for $7 each. I have two of those.

For bottles I use the Camlebak Podiums. You don't have to open and close them which is nice. Just squeeze the bottle and water comes out, stop squeezing and they seal. I have both the insulated and the non-insulated versions. Insulated ones are nice for the really hot summer days so the water stays cold. In the spring and fall though I use the non-insulated ones.
      08-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #72
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep

got the Garmin hooked up last night and did a short loop just to test it out, it should be a helpful tool

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43890101
      08-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #73
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
got the Garmin hooked up last night and did a short loop just to test it out, it should be a helpful tool

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43890101
Nice, connect is cool too.

It is a great tool, it really keeps you honest and motivated.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #74
Feyd
Major
Rep

I'm looking at upgrading my computer to a Garmin. I think that it tracks some really useful information.

First though, is a set of Zipp 404s. I've set some goals to meet before I get the zipps (cause they're effin expensive), but next on the list of upgrades will be the Garmin.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #75
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
i want a gps heart rate monitor thing
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #76
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm looking at upgrading my computer to a Garmin. I think that it tracks some really useful information.

First though, is a set of Zipp 404s. I've set some goals to meet before I get the zipps (cause they're effin expensive), but next on the list of upgrades will be the Garmin.
what kind of computer do u have now?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #77
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Quote:
i want a gps heart rate monitor thing
Your first purchase beside Helmet, Cages, water bottle, the basics should be Clipless shoes and pedals.
      08-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #78
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Tubular or clincher? There are some fire sales on the old clinchers now that the full carbons are finally out. I'm waiting for them to move the 303's to full carbon clinchers, but also need a set of tubies for cx season.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #79
Feyd
Major
Rep

Clincher actually.... and yes, I'm noticing the price reductions.

Incidentally, have you seen any real specs/photos of the full carbon clinchers? I'd like to check them out.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #80
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
Your first purchase beside Helmet, Cages, water bottle, the basics should be Clipless shoes and pedals.
all those things can be at a lbs right? or is there a cheaper place.

and what is the 100 mile tune up that one of you guys mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #81
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

New or used? I'd love to get a set with a powertap but that's going to be down the road. I'd be replacing my bike first, should have gone with 56 instead of a 58.
      08-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #82
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:

You can find everything at your LBS, but it might be a tad more expensive.

The tune up is somethign that you will need at around the 100 mile mark (all new bikes need one). Essentially all of your shifter cables/brake cables will have stretched a bit from use and everything will need to be dialed back in. It should only take a few minutes to adjust everything. The 100 miles is just a average interval. In the weeks after you buy you might notice your bike making noises while shifting/not braking as effectively, etc. This signals that you need the tune-up. Might be only after 50 miles. *shrug*
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #83
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Your brake and shifter cables are going to stretch through use. Things will need to be adjusted afterwards. It's a simple procedure to adjust your own gears, something you should learn how to do, but have the shop do it in the beginning if you're not confident.
      08-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #84
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
what kind of computer do u have now?
I have a planet protege 9.0 wireless... ~$40. It's honestly a great little computer and has all the info you'd ever really need.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/8003.html

I just want the GPS/HR/Cadence, etc. that comes with the Garmin.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #85
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
so do you get a tune up ever 100 miles? i suppose i could look on youtube on how to do it also. for rest of the tune ups.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #86
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
New or used? I'd love to get a set with a powertap but that's going to be down the road. I'd be replacing my bike first, should have gone with 56 instead of a 58.
Not opposed to some lightly used ones...

My issue is that I'm built like a brick shit-house, so I need either the 404 MAX, or a custom built set using some 24/28 505 rims (same rim profile as the 404 series). I spoke with Zipp a couple days ago and they say that there is no difference in the rim, just the lacing, etc. Looks like I can get a custom set built up with DuraAce hubs for about $400 less than retail on the 404 MAX, so I might be going that route.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #87
Feyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
so do you get a tune up ever 100 miles? i suppose i could look on youtube on how to do it also. for rest of the tune ups.

The first one will be the major one... typically after that tuning things up is semi-rare, but will of course vary depending on how much you ride/how hard you are on your bike.

The most common thing (for me anyway) is the occaisional drive train tweak. But again it's always minimal.

There are lots of adjustments that you'll figure out how to do along the way that should keep you out of the LBS for everything but the major stuff.

When you pick up your bike make sure you talk with the mechanic so he can give you a run down of all the the "trim" adjustments you can make on your own with no tools, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #88
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Not opposed to some lightly used ones...

My issue is that I'm built like a brick shit-house, so I need either the 404 MAX, or a custom built set using some 24/28 505 rims (same rim profile as the 404 series). I spoke with Zipp a couple days ago and they say that there is no difference in the rim, just the lacing, etc. Looks like I can get a custom set built up with DuraAce hubs for about $400 less than retail on the 404 MAX, so I might be going that route.

Have you considered the Edge 2.45 rims with Dura Ace hubs? Since Edge has a lot more history with full carbon clinchers, and the 2.45s are super stiff, I think I'd lean this route. A set laced 2x with 24f and 28r should be just about bomb proof.

I ride with a few guys on the new 404 cc, but haven't really checked them out too closely. They don't seem to have any issues with them, but I don't know of many issues with any carbon clinchers, Edge, Easton or Reynolds (aside from most Reynolds being a little flexy and their suspect hub quality).
Appreciate 0