E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Problems with four year old E90

10-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
RichardLee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 320i

Problems with four year old E90

Recently, I had experienced several issues with my car:

1. February 2009, Steering Column. I had sent my car for servicing. It was discovered that I had a steering column issue, which had to be replaced. If my recollection is correct, there were charges for the replacement.
2. May 2009, Radiator issues. My radiator leaked and the pipes had to be replaced. A costly exercise and two days lost.
3. I had sent my car to Performance Motors to check on a transmission fault warning that appeared on my dashboard panel indicator intermittently in May. Until today no one has been able to discover if there was a problem though the warning indicator continued to flash almost every day since then until my last servicing on October 14th. Another two days lost and charges for the inspection.
4. September 2009, Loss of Power. One day after filling petrol I started my engine only to discover from the panel indicator that I had lost power to my engine. I had to drive slowly to Performance Motors to have that fixed as well. Another day lost. In retrospect, this issue could be related to the most recent engine failure.
5. September 2009, Engine Failure. Two weeks later as I was leaving my office for lunch and started my engine. It indicated an engine failure. Eventually, Performance Motors arranged for a truck to tow my vehicle to the workshop. A day lost.
6. I must have taken my car in for servicing at least twice this year. Once in February and October 15th. Yet these problems were never discovered or suspected.

Now I wonder if any other BMW owners had similar issues?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3

welcome to the club!-

Having worked for BMW for years, I can tell you that you are NOT alone....

All of your problems except for the 'engine failure' part are common issues associated with the early e90-

Remember- it is just car and crazy stuff happens.... There is no logical explanation. It does not matter how much you spent on the car- its still a car; all cars break. Cars are consumable items- I know this is not what you want to hear but it always needs to be said.

To answer your last question- ABSOLUTELY!
      10-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
JRINNS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5 Cab and Jag XJ

Garage List
I thrash the life out of my early 05 325 E90 Sport. 105000miles and not one problem. I do 25k a year.

Its just luck with cars and can happen to most models
Appreciate 0