E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Anyone a car broker or know about the business?

11-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
jahmed78
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

Anyone a car broker or know about the business?

I'm in Sales for a tech company and I usually have side projects going on...my most recent was an Android app that I got developed and sold. I've also run a couple of custom PC businesses and a house painting business through college . I'm getting bored again and as I spruce up my recently bought BMW I can't help but think why not combine my love of cars and ability to sell and deal with people?

So I'm thinking maybe I take on car brokering on as a side hobby/project. I's like to do high end luxury but obviously need to work my way up. Any advice/tips? Where to start? Best source for cars? Where is most of the money made (buying or selling)? Etc....

Thanks!

19" BMW M-Performance wheels, ST coilovers, m3 rep front bumper and skirts, CF Hamann rep diffuser, Remus Race quad exhaust, aFe DCI, LED angel eyes & DRL kit,
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
jahmed78
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bump?

19" BMW M-Performance wheels, ST coilovers, m3 rep front bumper and skirts, CF Hamann rep diffuser, Remus Race quad exhaust, aFe DCI, LED angel eyes & DRL kit,
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmed78 View Post
I'm in Sales for a tech company and I usually have side projects going on...my most recent was an Android app that I got developed and sold. I've also run a couple of custom PC businesses and a house painting business through college . I'm getting bored again and as I spruce up my recently bought BMW I can't help but think why not combine my love of cars and ability to sell and deal with people?

So I'm thinking maybe I take on car brokering on as a side hobby/project. I's like to do high end luxury but obviously need to work my way up. Any advice/tips? Where to start? Best source for cars? Where is most of the money made (buying or selling)? Etc....

Thanks!
Take my advice start small and stick with econmy or regular cars.....luxury high end is too complicated. You will sell 10 corolla-civic for every 3 series that you will sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

anyone on here own a used car dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
You need a dealer license to get into the auto auctions. Most states require a dealer license if you sell X-number of cars per year. I agree that there is more money in turning low end econo cars than big dollar luxury cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
jahmed78
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info. I see two approaches to this business:

1. Buy econo cars from auctions and turn them for a profit.

2. Be a broker who simply finds specific cars and negotiates deals on behalf of buyers for a flat fee. No investment in the actual cars.

Any thoughts on #2?

Appreciate 1