E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Top Gear USA premiere tonight! History Channel (thoughts and reviews)

11-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #45
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Man the show does kinda suck. I mean it's not THAT bad but compared to the UK version it's...well it's no comparison. I would rate it maybe a 4 or 5 out of 10.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 12:27 AM   #46
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Obviously it's not as good as the UK version, but it was a good try as the first episode. I am sure that it will improve over time.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #47
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post
I'm not changing my argument, you veered my original statement off target. I first said that the idea they used for the first episode of Top Gear U.S. was stupid. I never even brought up Top Gear UK, you just assumed I was thinking the same way that all the other commenters were. Crimson92 then proceeded to tell me that the UK version did the same thing. I then said that, while I have never seen the UK version episodes where they performed these races, they most likely did a better job of it, judging off of the other episodes of the UK Top Gear I have seen. You then said "No shit it's gonna be better". Where am I changing my argument? You are arguing and agreeing with me at the same time. Pure genius............
you sir are fail.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #48
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Everyone is watching with the high benchmark of UK Top Gear. This is no match.
But if you think about this is their stand-alone program, its not that bad compare to what America had before. I'd give it a few more episodes and one season or two to let them build their characters and such.
The first episode it was just one Tanner Foust's one man show.

For the first one...i'd give 6.5/10...just passing grade...
      11-22-2010, 01:22 AM   #49
///MLOVER
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3

UK version

The UK version is better
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #50
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MLOVER View Post
The UK version is better
      11-22-2010, 02:28 AM   #51
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

didnt think it was too bad. I think anyone who watchs it and compares it to the original isnt going to like it. Im sure the original top gear didnt look like what it does now in its first episode, and as someone said before, the chemistry between the 3 isnt there yet i think over time it'll get a lot better.
      11-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #52
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Lot's of room for improvement. The thing I noticed most was the fact that the three hosts were trying to think of whitty things to say like Jeremy, richard, and James. That got really annoying quickly.

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 02:48 AM   #53
Ryboy98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Some of the things Top Gear UK have raced cars against:

1) Apache
2) Cessna
3) Eurofighter
4) Train/boat/public transportion/bike
5) Guys running around on foot

So I don't get your complaint.
Don't forget the hot-air caravan that James took to the caravan site. Actually i don't think that was a race. But they did race a Porsche cayenne turbo against a "red devil" skydiver and a Audi RS6 estate against hand gliding skiiers.

That's the purpose of the odd opponents, Who would ever do that?! That's what makes it fun to watch. Actually this episode is like when Jeremy tried to get away from the tank and tanks in the Range Rover and the drug dealer's Evo.

If you ask that question you could ask why would Jeremy take a Ford fiesta and storm the beaches with the British armed forces? LOL The more whacked out the bit the better!

C'mon guys give it a shot, just think WITH everyone's support perhaps the show will have the chance to develop in to it's own entity instead of being in TGUK shadow. Show some support and maybe one day we will have two good top gears to watch per week.

Maybe one of these days with TG in the US some of these smaller tuners will be able to get some coverage with their products. Call me optimistic but what's wrong with that? As you can probably tell I watch a lot of TGUK I actually love the show but that doesn't mean i'm not going to cheer for the new show to succeed. Why not? Open your minds a little. Just think of it as a new expansion team in the NFL or NBA

Givem' a chance guys! What's it going to hurt?

*SOLD 3/2012 *2009 AW 6MT E92 M3 Gintani S/C Stage 2+ 606 WHP, 392TQ SAE Dynojet 93 Pump, Gintani cat-less x-pipe, Gintani Race rear.
DPE SP-C16 20x9F, 20x10.5R Toyo T1R 255/30/20F 305/25/20R
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #54
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWorNOTHING View Post

I'm not changing my argument, you veered my original statement off target. I first said that the idea they used for the first episode of Top Gear U.S. was stupid. I never even brought up Top Gear UK, you just assumed I was thinking the same way that all the other commenters were. Crimson92 then proceeded to tell me that the UK version did the same thing. I then said that, while I have never seen the UK version episodes where they performed these races, they most likely did a better job of it, judging off of the other episodes of the UK Top Gear I have seen. You then said "No shit it's gonna be better". Where am I changing my argument? You are arguing and agreeing with me at the same time. Pure genius............
Your specific comment was "why the hell would they race a car and helicopter." All I was pointing out, genius, is that the UK version did the same exact stunt and many other similar "stupid" stunts. You don't seem to know all that much about Top Gear UK because you would have known that's why the US version did it. That's what I'm trying to say. Then you switched it into a "well I've never seen the UK one, but the UK one is way better."

So you went from it being stupid to OK since the UK TG probably did a lot better job, but you haven't seen it so you're not sure...

And yes, right now the UK version is better, No sane person is going to argue that. Like I said, the hosts have worked together for 15 seasons and have formed a bond. If you expect the same thing in one episode from the US version you're a fool. Which is why I said go look at the very first UK episode. Then you'll see how much the show has grown over the years. I would even say the first episode of the US one was better than the UK one.
      11-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #55
Project1
Bimmer Love
Rep
Drives: You will figure it out...

The show plain sucked, trying not to compare it to TGUK, but it just sucked. What kind of comparison is that with the lambos...they did one thing. The one guy did slightly review his SV, but then bitched because the seats were too "race inspired" for his fat ass! WTF! I'm so angry, they should just stop airing it right now...

Ok, anyway, I guess I just want to hear more about cool cars and facts and figures and what not. I just know that there will be very few awesome car reviews on things I am interested in. NEVER will see a TVR on there (for obvious reasons) and things of that nature. I could care less about camaros and mustangs and the lot. Muscles cars will never be classics again, no one is going to be coveting a 2010 camaro ss and selling or buying them at Barrett Jackson in 50 years for $100,000.

When America wakes up and makes something with passion, my 4200GT Maserati comes to mind, I will be interested.

And PLEASE!!! get rid of Foust, drifting is NOT a sport, go back to your video game world. Cocky little punk.

:end rant:

I will continue to make my decision on how the show is based on each episode, I'm sure it will at least get better as time goes on.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #56
NFS13
Car Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is / R8

Garage List
The content did not flow very well and they have absolutley no chemistry between the three of them! Motorweek laughs at them : )
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #57
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I am sorry but that show was weak. It appeared they did one take and ran with it. The pauses between commentary was awkward to say the least.

What the heck was with that guy's hand shaking after going 185/mile in the Superleggera? He may be in the wrong business. Weird and almost scary. I was waiting to see a car wrecked on the first episode.
      11-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #58
zerep1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90, 328i F30, 230i G42,

this is them getting used to it even though i think there would have been better host choices they are getting the idea polished out. also we are not going to see the type of humor we see in the british version with out the feds jumping in and saying the jokes are to subjective.
and lets not forget there are other topgears around the world and they all showcase there countries cars so be ready to see alot of chevy, ford, and dodge "supercars" but what can you do if it lasts at least two seasons we might get to a much easier show to watch right now it felt forced. "i ate my tires up drifting" us version uk translation "you drove the car like a fairy" british chuckle
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #59
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Wait...I heard someone said "drifting" is not a sport....who's the one kept drifting and powersliding in Top Gear....hmmm...Jeremy Clarkson??? "POOOOOWWWEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!"
      11-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #60
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Wow...tough crowd....glad you guys didn't watch the very original Top Gear before Richard Hammond, Jeremy Clarkson, and James May joined.....it was like the same crap as Fifth Gear now...a Toyota Camry promotional video....

Even the first season of new Top Gear was not as good a recent years.

One day the UK Top Gear will end the show, and we will have nothing but "Pinks all out" to watch then....we've only watched the very first episode and quickly determined its not worth it, kill it with fire...if back then TG was killed in the first season....we'll won't see JC, RH, and JM be as famous as now....and UK Top Gear won't be such a successful show....
      11-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #61
Project1
Bimmer Love
Rep
Drives: You will figure it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Wait...I heard someone said "drifting" is not a sport....who's the one kept drifting and powersliding in Top Gear....hmmm...Jeremy Clarkson??? "POOOOOWWWEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!"
But there is no comparison between having fun and that being someones specialty, because you know that is all he is going to do. I'm just glad Tanner isn't the "main guy"...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #62
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

It's better than I expected. Of course it can't live up to the original TG, because that is probably one of the best shows ever produced. It's alot better than what existed before it, which was nothing. I give them credit, and also agree that it will get better in time.
      11-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #63
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
But there is no comparison between having fun and that being someones specialty, because you know that is all he is going to do. I'm just glad Tanner isn't the "main guy"...
But from last night...its like Tanner's one man show....=/
      11-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #64
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Slavish mimicry, but what's worse is they will NEVER be as honest and upfront about current cars they don't like as our friends from the UK.

Jay Leno should have taken this idea and run with it instead of pathetically trying to get back to late night. You need people who love cars, can be funny, and have the wherewithal to offend car makers and others. These three guys are are going nowhere.
      11-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #65
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianBMW99 View Post
+1, it's flaccid as hell so far. Little chemistry between the hosts and almost no technical talk. Well, we're only 15 mins in, see how the rest turns out...

Even the lambo segment didnt get me super excited as i would be if TG UK did it. And when the hosts were in the studio they tried way to hard to be funny and tried to form a rivalry similar to Clarkson vs the hamster & Capt. Slow.

There is supposed to be a TG UK X-mas special, at least there is something to forward to.
      11-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #66
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
http://forums.finalgear.com/tg-us-sp...-2010-a-46869/