E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > My Temper and the Death of my Television

09-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #23
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I have 2 plasmas and a DLP, and have sat for hours at a local high-end a/v store trying to get a calibrated LCD to come close to a calibrated plasma. It can't do it - LCD produces the picture by shining a light through the LCD, which changes colors based on the voltage applied to different pixels. There is no possible way to get true black out of an LCD. They've gotten a lot better, but a good LCD can't match a good plasma. Try using the video essentials DVD on the TV's to calibrate them. Also, not all plasmas (just like anything else) are created equal. Some mfg's have not done a very good job implementing the technology. Take Samsung - their LCD's aren't bad, but their plasmas are decidedly second tier.

I haven't seen a DLP on the market that even comes close to the picture of a plasma. Again, they are very good, but they don't come close. Bang for the buck, sure, DLP is much less expensive. Best picture - hands down, plasma.

BTW - be careful looking at any TV at CircCity, BBuy, etc. They have the brightness, contrast, saturation, all the settings out of whack. You don't have to buy from a high-end store if you don't think they don't add the value, but at least start there to evaluate the TV's. Ask to see a calibrated display, and bring some material with which you are familiar.

Lastly, consider getting the 1080p. If you end up with a BluRay or HD-DVD player down the line, it make a big difference. One of my plasmas is a 2 yr old 1080i, the other a new 1080p. You can't believe the difference. Both are Panasonic.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #24
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
My pops is rocking a 60' Samsung DLP. That thing is the bomb. Top notch picture, has above average viewing angles, and many other small features that can really fine tune the TV. The picture my not be "THE BESTEST EVER" compared to plasma, but unless you have a money tree I don't see the $$$ amount worth it just yet once you get into the 50'+ range.

Also what everyone is not mentioning with Plasma and LCD is they are comprised thousands of tiny bulbs and have a average amount of allowable bulbs that can be burnt out just like on a computer screen. Once these bulbs go there is no replacing them.

As for a DLP tv it has one central bulb. There is a door the size of an arm on the side of the tv, pop the door open, unplug the bulb, throw a new bulb in there and your tv is as good as new in 10 minutes.

Once I decide on a house a major DLP will be one of my first purchases after move in.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #25
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
...Also what everyone is not mentioning with Plasma and LCD is they are comprised thousands of tiny bulbs and have a average amount of allowable bulbs that can be burnt out just like on a computer screen. Once these bulbs go there is no replacing them....
Plasma does not have any tiny bulbs. It works by passing an electrical current through a gas charge, taking it to the next state of matter - plasma. Only LCD'd have pixels to burn out or "die". Less common than it used to be, but still happens.

The one thing that I haven't said, and I don't think anyone else has, is it's all what you like. You can't read down a spec sheet, or take some HT geek's word for it (like me). On most any civil HT forum, you'll see almost every reply end with something to the effect of "it's what you like best".

You have to decide what you like the looks of, and how much you are willing to pay.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #26
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Just a hunch, but I'm guessing everyone who is plugging plasma bought their plasmas a year or two ago. Just a guess.

Go look again.

Please speak up if you're shopped for a plasma vs. LCD recently.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #27
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Purchased my second plasma less than two months ago. I was impressed with the improvement that LCD had made from my last purchase, which was 2 years ago, but still couldn't match the plasma.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2007, 10:40 PM   #28
E36_325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 325i + '06 M3

Samsung DLP, no doubt about it. I have a 50 inch Sam DLP and have no regrets.
      09-26-2007, 10:45 PM   #29
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Just a hunch, but I'm guessing everyone who is plugging plasma bought their plasmas a year or two ago. Just a guess.

Go look again.

Please speak up if you're shopped for a plasma vs. LCD recently.
In the market for a new TV, considering 40" LCD vs 42" Plasma. I still find that plasma is better for watching sports and playing video games because of the faster response time. LCD has slightly better picture quality and details, so if don't watch things that move fast, LCD is the way to go. For the OP, I would recommend a plasma still