E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What the hell is this?? ( New Tahoe )

08-06-2023, 09:45 PM   #1
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

What the hell is this?? ( New Tahoe )

Bought a new 2023 Tahoe and noticed this on the paint two weeks later, does anyone know what this is ? I already notified the dealer , I tried cleaning the area with detailer but it still shows, the rest of the car is prestine.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Attached Images

08-06-2023, 11:24 PM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Repainted damage if you ask me.
This is done all the time in the factory, but this looks like a bad job. (could have been done later at the dealer too, if it was transport damage)

Try a paint thickness meter to see if you can confirm a thicker layer as proof (maybe a local detailing shop has one, it's usually not a very expensive tool), and try and come to a solution/compensation.

It's important that you get this sorted satisfactory, because now that you know it's there, you'll see it every time.

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-07-2023 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60060.50
Oldgixxer1911.00
whyzee1251678.50
      08-07-2023, 12:32 AM   #3
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Repainted damage if you ask me.
This is done all the time in the factory, but this looks like a bad job. (could have been done later at the dealer too, if it was transport damage)

Try a paint thickness meter to see if you can confirm a thicker layer as proof (maybe a local detailing shop has one, it's usually not a very expensive tool), and try and come to a solution/compensation.

It's important that you get this sorted satisfactory, because now that you know it's there, you'll see it every time.
Thanks you, I'm hoping the dealer will make it right, I don't mind taking it to a shop that'll fix it, but they should pay the cost or recommend a shop that will fix it
      08-07-2023, 12:38 AM   #4
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

If you drive it to a local bodyshop, they for sure can tell you exactly what it is and if it's fixable and what it takes to fix it.
Compared to an experienced bodyshop guy, we're all amateurs.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60060.50
      08-07-2023, 03:42 AM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

From an earlier comment (about a BMW):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
QC issues are normally sorted out before leaving the Leipzig factory. Cars go through a final check. 160 km on the odometer straight from the factory means that the car has seen more places than just the factory and the normal transport route to a dealership.

If a car sustains minor damage pre-delivery, it's repaired (and fast, normally in a proper way). Usually the customer won't be informed about it. Even serious hail damage gets sorted out, but that's usually reported to the customer (though the car manufacturer will refrain from disclosing the specifics of how bad the damage was).

Of course it's guessing what could explain the extra miles piled on, but the QC reference could be a hint that the car needed repairs at a workshop after a mishap during transport and afterwards possibly some road testing to check whether everything has been properly repaired. Not saying that the car was damaged, but it's a possibility. Normally documentation exists, but it can be doubted whether it will be disclosed what has exactly happened.

Feel free to check the paint thickness (it's easy to find an automotive paint meter). If you discover paint irregularities, then that's a tell-tale sign that the car got damaged and was repaired pre-delivery. Could be ranging from a simple scratch or a small dent, to the car being rear-ended or hitting a wall or another car whilst parking or during transport. A lot could happen between leaving the factory and taking delivery.

whofelt198.00
      08-07-2023, 09:27 AM   #6
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Is it fisheye? Could be a GM production paint defect.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 10:28 AM   #7
whofelt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
If you drive it to a local bodyshop, they for sure can tell you exactly what it is and if it's fixable and what it takes to fix it.
Compared to an experienced bodyshop guy, we're all amateurs.
True, I'm just waiting to hear from the dealership on how to proceed.

The funny thing is, this wasn't visible when I picked it up from the dealer, it's also only visible at just the right angle and lighting. Oh well, hope the dealer will make it right