E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > driving to the dealer...my 1st race

01-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
VapoR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupé

driving to the dealer...my 1st race

so im going to the dealership this morning to get an audio part fix and an oil change. on my way i come up to this red light and i end up in a right turn only lane b/c i trying to go around these slow pokes and i didn't feel like cutting someone off by quickly squeezing in. i don't want to turn right so once it hits green i accelerate to get ahead of the car to my left and cut in. apparently the car to my left saw this coming but couldn't really stop me from doing these. he kinda gets pissed and changes lanes to mad dog me a bit. as he comes up i give him the goofiest smile i can make. then we both come up to a red light again and he rolls down his window and so do i. "thats a V-6 right?" the guy in his 30s says. "uhh yea" (i didn't want to confuse/embarrass him with saying I-6 twin turbo 300+ ponies buddy). "thats a stick shift?" "yea." then he says "let's go". hes driving an 06 benz m-class. i laugh to myself and say ok. i roll up my window and the light hits green about 5 seconds later. in about .5 seconds i can see his car in my rear view mirror. i punch it til about 65 mph. he got beat so bad it was ridicules. i wasn't really surprised cuz it was a big suv but it didnt stop me from laughing. he didnt want to talk after that and quickly got off the road. it was my 1st race in my 335i. ill try to find a more worthy opponent next time.
then i goto the dealer, get some papers signed. btw the oil change is costing me $167 in labor plus the actual cost of oil and filter. wtf? anyone else getting robbed?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
DocRoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

what happened to the free service interval?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VapoR
so im going to the dealership this morning to get an audio part fix and an oil change. on my way i come up to this red light and i end up in a right turn only lane b/c i trying to go around these slow pokes and i didn't feel like cutting someone off by quickly squeezing in. i don't want to turn right so once it hits green i accelerate to get ahead of the car to my left and cut in. apparently the car to my left saw this coming but couldn't really stop me from doing these. he kinda gets pissed and changes lanes to mad dog me a bit. as he comes up i give him the goofiest smile i can make. then we both come up to a red light again and he rolls down his window and so do i. "thats a V-6 right?" the guy in his 30s says. "uhh yea" (i didn't want to confuse/embarrass him with saying I-6 twin turbo 300+ ponies buddy). "thats a stick shift?" "yea." then he says "let's go". hes driving an 06 benz m-class. i laugh to myself and say ok. i roll up my window and the light hits green about 5 seconds later. in about .5 seconds i can see his car in my rear view mirror. i punch it til about 65 mph. he got beat so bad it was ridicules. i wasn't really surprised cuz it was a big suv but it didnt stop me from laughing. he didnt want to talk after that and quickly got off the road. it was my 1st race in my 335i. ill try to find a more worthy opponent next time.
then i goto the dealer, get some papers signed. btw the oil change is costing me $167 in labor plus the actual cost of oil and filter. wtf? anyone else getting robbed?
WTF is right. Congrats on your first victory
      01-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Entertaining write-up. But I wouldn't write off the M-class at a stoplight race completely, the ML63 runs 0-60 in 4.7 seconds
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #4
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

u have to pay for oil changes? isnt it included in the 4 yr 50K mile warranty?
      01-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
dumbass soccer dad, did he have a soccer ball sticker on the back window too.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
I hope you get pulled over next time you race and lose your license. Imagine if someone was racing and killed you Mom or sister or another family member. How would you feel? Street racing is for immature people who are very selfish. I hate stories like this.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06
u have to pay for oil changes? isnt it included in the 4 yr 50K mile warranty?
he wanted one before the car needed one. The car will tell you when it needs to be changed and if you decide to do this before then its an out of pocket expense to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

I got quoted on a dealer oil change for $220. I just went to an indi place and got it changed for $100.
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
$167 PLUS the cost of oil/filter?!?!

Your dealer is bending you over.
I did a break-in oil change on my car. Cost $90 total.
      01-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #10
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walked U
I got quoted on a dealer oil change for $220. I just went to an indi place and got it changed for $100.
220 is nuts we charge 110-120 here at my dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD
220 is nuts we charge 110-120 here at my dealership.

Ya southern cali just sucks. Over price everything.
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #12
VapoR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope you get pulled over next time you race and lose your license. Imagine if someone was racing and killed you Mom or sister or another family member. How would you feel? Street racing is for immature people who are very selfish. I hate stories like this.
ouch. i would cry for weeks if that happened. immature? selfish? don't condemn me yet please. i understand plenty of people hate racing but that doesn't make me a bad person. the title said "race" in it. shouldn't have clicked on it if you hate race stories.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #13
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ouch. i would cry for weeks if that happened. immature? selfish? don't condemn me yet please. i understand plenty of people hate racing but that doesn't make me a bad person. the title said "race" in it. shouldn't have clicked on it if you hate race stories.
I dont hate race stories I do not like the people who do it. Its pointless and the upside is so little compared to what could be the downside. Thats all I am saying. Also its a lot better to go to the track. If you auto-x and race your car at in the 1/4 mile then when your on the streets you wont care so much about racing. Trust me on that as it works for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #14
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
I dont hate race stories I do not like the people who do it. Its pointless and the upside is so little compared to what could be the downside. Thats all I am saying. Also its a lot better to go to the track. If you auto-x and race your car at in the 1/4 mile then when your on the streets you wont care so much about racing. Trust me on that as it works for me.
Then don't read the thread...It isn't like he was doing 120 weaving in and out of traffic on the interstate (now that is stupid).....it was stop light drag racing has been going on for decades with very few mothers meeting their demise
07 E90 335i / JET BLACK / TERRA / WALNUT / NAVI / PREMIUM / SPORT / COMFORT ACCESS / HEATED SEATS / SIRIUS / OEM CD CHANGER / OEM LIP SPOILER / OEM AW MATS & CARGO LINER / OEM AL PEDALS / OEM BLACK LINES / OEM JACK KIT / OEM MOBILITY KIT / OEM WHEEL LOCKS / 35% TINT / 19" M6 REPS / 245/275 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #15
VapoR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
see that was a lot nicer sorta and now I'm not so worried about the safety of my mommy.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #16
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
so ummm.... if he was just doing 65 and not racing another car.... would that be okay??? Youve never done 65 in a 35? or a 45?

Wishing a suspended license on someone is foul. But its all carma. So I wish you never get pulled over or get a single speeding ticket. And god forbid you ever get into an accident. Especially one that might hurt you or others.

Stay up
      01-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #17
dhmilosr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan Montego Blue

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Agreed. If I wanted something to just tool around in I wouldn't have bought the 335i. I selected the 335i because it was fast and could hold its own against a lot of other cars. :rocks: Racing is part of life with a fast car. My wife races too. But let's be real here, we're not talking "Fast and Furious" length races, these are just to the next stop light or roll on races on the highway. Pretty harmless stuff. (And we never "race" when there are old ladies crossing the road!)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 07:02 PM   #18
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 S6 + 2017 340 M sport

Quote:

HOLY CRAP !!!! YOU WERE DRIVING 65 MPH!!!! You Could Have Killed Someone!!!!

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #19
PMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

There was a guy who lost his wife and kids in Tampa a couple of years back when two cars were racing from light to light. One of the cars T-boned his wife, who was pulling out onto the street and didn't realize it was a racing zone (but what's the harm -- been done for years, right?).

Other than the fact that his two kids burned to death in the ensuing fire I guess it was no big deal, though.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #20
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmilosr
Agreed. If I wanted something to just tool around in I wouldn't have bought the 335i. I selected the 335i because it was fast and could hold its own against a lot of other cars. :rocks: Racing is part of life with a fast car. My wife races too. But let's be real here, we're not talking "Fast and Furious" length races, these are just to the next stop light or roll on races on the highway. Pretty harmless stuff. (And we never "race" when there are old ladies crossing the road!)
No racing is not a part of life with a fast car. Street racing or driving at unsafe speeds is a practice that is the cause of 20% of driving fatalities in the US.

Having to "prove" your vehicle's worth by racing it on the street for 30, 100, whatever feet is nothing more than a sign of immaturity or a sad attempt to stroke one's ego. No one is impressed that someone figured out how to drive fast in a straight line for 5 seconds.

If you want to see what your car is worth, don't waste money on stupid crap and use the money to take it to a track. You're get a hell of alot more respect and admiration there.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #21
DocRoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I spilled a liquid on my keyboard!

Quote:
Thus endangering the lives of mommies and daddies everywhere--electrocution is not a laughing matter.

Get a grip tough guy, he sped away from an SUV--"race" is relative.
      01-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #22
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Hooray!!! You win the no one gives a crap about your 'kill' award
Appreciate 0