E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Supporting engine - engine support bar

05-27-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
fozzydj
DIYer, 335i N54 lover
Rep
Drives: N54 BMW 355i SE 2007, 148,000

Supporting engine - engine support bar

Hi,

Im midway through the oil sump, turbo replacement and Im stripped down, cars up on 4 stands and ready to remove the subframe.

Ive bought an engine support bar - and encountered a few problems.

The first one is that my towing hook doesn't fully screw into the engine support hole. It catches on a ridge that wont allow it past (see attachments). Do I have the correct towing hook I wonder? Its the one that came with the car Im sure of it.

Second problem is that between my engine support bar and hole to insert the towing hook into the engine theres 16cm. When the towing hooks in its sat right under the support bar, too close.

I would assume I'll gain another 1 to 2cm of clearance if my towing hook went right in, so brings me back to my towing hook being wrong possibly

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Attached Images

BMW 335i BLACK E92 SE 2007 158,000k
Bilstein B3 suspension, Catless downpipes, Turbonetics intercooler, MHD stage 1
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
Donutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

You have two options for the hook going into the head, leave it as is (I did) or you can take a little metal off the head (what others have done.

For the height issue, I put two pieces of wood that I fastened together under the feet. So imagine something like a 1x2, cut about 14" in length; make four pieces, and fasten two together to make two of these spacers. Put these under the feet of your engine support bar to raise it up a couple of inches. Don't take my measurements though, make your own.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
fozzydj
DIYer, 335i N54 lover
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
You have two options for the hook going into the head, leave it as is (I did) or you can take a little metal off the head (what others have done.

For the height issue, I put two pieces of wood that I fastened together under the feet. So imagine something like a 1x2, cut about 14" in length; make four pieces, and fasten two together to make two of these spacers. Put these under the feet of your engine support bar to raise it up a couple of inches. Don't take my measurements though, make your own.
Thanks for this.

A friend had a different tow hook with a thinner shaft, it went in perfect and height between the bar and the engine wasn't an issue anymore.

Subframe successfully out 👍
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzydj View Post
Thanks for this.

A friend had a different tow hook with a thinner shaft, it went in perfect and height between the bar and the engine wasn't an issue anymore.

Subframe successfully out ��
Hey I have a question if I may. I nowhere need to do work needing my subframe out but knowledge is always good and I like to know beforehand so that said... is all you do hang the engine from your bar and keep it at the same height (not raising the engine, the bar is just there to keep it in place where it was) and just unbolt all the stuff the sub frame connects to and and it just drops down? I didn't find any detailed DIY so I wasn't sure.

Isn't is then difficult to get the frame back in place since the engine is "loose" in the air or no? Because all you have to do is just line up the engine mounts into the engine right? And then connect rest?

And great work!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:46 AM   #5
fozzydj
DIYer, 335i N54 lover
Rep

Hi,

Im not a mechanic, I just watched plenty of videos and gave it a go.

So basically yes, exactly what you said.

I setup the engine support bar (I didnt jack the engine up or anything), I tightened the support bar up after Id attached it to the engine then started removing the subframe.

When I was on the last 2 bolts of the subframe I put a jack under the subframe to keep it up, took off the last 2 bolts then slowly lowered the subframe down.

I wont be putting it back together for quite a while yet so Im afraid I cant help you with that part, but it looks super easy. The engine moves slightly as its hanging so I could use a crow bar as a lever to move it slightly to realign the mounts.

Hope that helps

My passenger side engine mount was proper shot as well, so glad Ive started the job.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Hi,

I setup the engine support bar (I didnt jack the engine up or anything), I tightened the support bar up after Id attached it to the engine then started removing the subframe.

When I was on the last 2 bolts of the subframe I put a jack under the subframe to keep it up, took off the last 2 bolts then slowly lowered the subframe down.

I wont be putting it back together for quite a while yet so Im afraid I cant help you with that part, but it looks super easy. The engine moves slightly as its hanging so I could use a crow bar as a lever to move it slightly to realign the mounts.

Hope that helps

My passenger side engine mount was proper shot as well, so glad Ive started the job.
Nice thanks for the reply! It doesn't seem as daunting at I had thought eh, just time consuming!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Hope that helps

Nice thanks for the reply! It doesn't seem as daunting at I had thought eh, just time consuming!
When I did my oil pan gasket 4 years ago, I don't remember the putting the subframe back into position being a challenge.

I would encourage you to take the FMIC & engine fan out. This will give you more room to work.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi,

Im midway through the oil sump, turbo replacement and Im stripped down, cars up on 4 stands and ready to remove the subframe.

Ive bought an engine support bar - and encountered a few problems.

The first one is that my towing hook doesn't fully screw into the engine support hole. It catches on a ridge that wont allow it past (see attachments). Do I have the correct towing hook I wonder? Its the one that came with the car Im sure of it.

Second problem is that between my engine support bar and hole to insert the towing hook into the engine theres 16cm. When the towing hooks in its sat right under the support bar, too close.

I would assume I'll gain another 1 to 2cm of clearance if my towing hook went right in, so brings me back to my towing hook being wrong possibly

Any thoughts would be appreciated
I took a grinder to my tow hook
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 11:11 AM   #9
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i / 06 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I took a grinder to my tow hook
Can you explain what you grinded odf/down?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 03:29 PM   #10
fastboatster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneykickin View Post
Can you explain what you grinded odf/down?
you can use an e46 tow hook, it fits without grinding anything, that's what I used.