E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Sushi initiation

05-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Sushi initiation

Ok, it wasn't a Sushi place, it was Mexican. La Esquina (NYC), which is a very cool place. Anyway I ordered scallops and this tuna tostados plate, foolishly thinking the tuna would be cooked. It wasn't. But I didn't want to look like a putz by sending it back, so I tried it. And it was good! The tostados chips and aoli probably helped, but it was surprisingly tasty and it didn't have the cold jelly texture I've always worried about with sushi. I might have to investigate sushi further now.

Geez, first Scotch and now sushi. How my tastes have been changing.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Are you sure you didn't just order a tuna tartare?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Could be. It was raw tuna, let me put it that way. I'm no expert on such things, so maybe sushi is the wrong word.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Um not sure what part of sushi says "cold jelly texture". Unless I'm missing out on some jelly fish sushi.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Ceviche? Once you get the hang of [Japanese] sushi, you're hooked. I guarantee it.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS
Ceviche? Once you get the hang of [Japanese] sushi, you're hooked. I guarantee it.
This. I used to never think I'd enjoy sushi. Now I order it once a week at least lol
      05-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #7
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Um not sure what part of sushi says "cold jelly texture". Unless I'm missing out on some jelly fish sushi.
I'm guessing it's the slime of fish, but that only happens when it's not fresh. Properly made sushi is made with a high degree of purity and if it DOES feel slimy then you'd have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
That has always been my fear (phobia?) of what it would be like just from the appearance of it. Now I know that's not how it is. Or shouldn't be, at least.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
That has always been my fear (phobia?) of what it would be like just from the appearance of it. Now I know that's not how it is. Or shouldn't be, at least.
I've yet to know someone that didn't overcome their sushi phobia once they actually tried it. Sure there will be some types of fish you won't like but you'll love it otherwise.

As already stated, if it is slimy then it isn't fresh. If you poke it with a chop stick, finger, etc... and it keeps the dimple, then it is not fresh. If it has a fishy smell to it, then it is not fresh. If it is chewy (and it isn't squid or octopus) then it was frozen fish that the place thawed out.
      05-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #10
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've yet to know someone that didn't overcome their sushi phobia once they actually tried it. Sure there will be some types of fish you won't like but you'll love it otherwise.

As already stated, if it is slimy then it isn't fresh. If you poke it with a chop stick, finger, etc... and it keeps the dimple, then it is not fresh. If it has a fishy smell to it, then it is not fresh. If it is chewy (and it isn't squid or octopus) then it was frozen fish that the place thawed out.
Almost all sushi/sashimi/saviche served in the U.S. has been previously frozen to kill parasites.

The only exception to the rule is Tuna because it is exceptionally clean already; but even that is previously frozen to help reduce costs as "fresh fish" is expensive.

There is a process called "Super Freezing" that freezes down to -76* F it preserves the texture and flavor and is indistinguishable from "fresh fish". Not all fisheries have adopted this practice though. The industry standard is -10*F.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #11
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
Almost all sushi/sashimi/saviche served in the U.S. has been previously frozen to kill parasites.

The only exception to the rule is Tuna because it is exceptionally clean already; but even that is previously frozen to help reduce costs as "fresh fish" is expensive.

There is a process called "Super Freezing" that freezes down to -76* F it preserves the texture and flavor and is indistinguishable from "fresh fish". Not all fisheries have adopted this practice though. The industry standard is -10*F.
I wasn't referring to super or flash freezing. I just meant literally frozen fish from a grocery store or as a means to preserve their stock of fish from the previous day.
      06-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Yeah, back when I was working for a firm, I was sent to work for our Japanese Direct Services group which is just all Japanese clients. So, at these clients, naturally, when we went to lunch each day, it was sushi. And I had up to that point never eaten it.

I can't say I loved it initially (I can eat anything pretty much so I still ate it, but it was just so-so, wouldn't have ordered on my own). So we did that for maybe 3 lunches, then I was off the group and working elsewhere where I didn't have sushi.

About a month later I found myself really craving some sushi - really odd, but I was hooked from then on. It really does grab you - experiment, you'll find stuff you like, and stuff you don't prefer.

For me, I don't really like unagi (cooked eel), even though its normally expensive and considered a delicacy. Just not for me.

And I've found that I oftentimes enjoy ordering a few lemon slices with my order and just squeezing some of the lemon onto my salmon sushi and then dipping in the soy/wasabi sauce. I find the lemon just brightens up the salmon...probably some sushi eaters would say lemon destroys the "delicate" taste of the fish, but whatever - do what you like.

Have fun - I think you are going to get hooked!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

I developed a sushi phobia AFTER I tried it...

I will never ever put another form of sushi into my mouth ever again....

**and this coming from a guy who eats chicken hearts, liver, cow throat, cow brains (sesos), cow intestines, octopus, ceviche and alligator**
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
I developed a sushi phobia AFTER I tried it...

I will never ever put another form of sushi into my mouth ever again....

**and this coming from a guy who eats chicken hearts, liver, cow throat, cow brains (sesos), cow intestines, octopus, ceviche and alligator**
Why is that - what did you dislike? Texture? Taste? Was it good sushi or had it gone bad perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #15
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Start with Salmon and then move on to try others. Dip a little japanese soy sauce on the fish side and eat it upside down (fish side down). My favorites are chopped scallop cone, salmon sushi, Jack Mackerel, sablefish, and flounder.

Don't forget to drink green tea.

Uni still tastes like shit to me.
      06-02-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Start with Salmon and then move on to try others. Dip a little japanese soy sauce on the fish side and eat it upside down (fish side down). My favorites are chopped scallop cone, salmon sushi, Jack Mackerel, sablefish, and flounder.

Don't forget to drink green tea.

Uni still tastes like shit to me.
Green tea - good point - I always have that as well.

Have you ever tried squeezing a little lemon on the salmon sushi (not the other fish, just salmon) and with soy?

If you don't consider it to be an abomination, you should give it a shot one time...just once to see what you think.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Why is that - what did you dislike?
it was the taste.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #18
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Green tea - good point - I always have that as well.

Have you ever tried squeezing a little lemon on the salmon sushi (not the other fish, just salmon) and with soy?

If you don't consider it to be an abomination, you should give it a shot one time...just once to see what you think.
Yeah of course, I'll give it a go tmr with the salmon and lemon. I have sushi like 3 times a week anyways lol. Thanks for suggesting.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #19
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
it was the taste.
Hmmm...well that's too bad. Hopefully it was good sushi (the way it was supposed to taste) and you just happen not to like it.

But if you think that it might have been bad sushi, I'd encourage you to give it another try at a restaurant that has good reviews.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #20
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Anybody else try a quail egg? That was pretty interesting, came to the table with the top of the egg shell cut out and a shot of saki next to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #21
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Anybody else try a quail egg? That was pretty interesting, came to the table with the top of the egg shell cut out and a shot of saki next to it.
It's interesting as part of Japanese food if it's fresh... Just about the only other time I had it was with Chinese style noodle soup and since it was canned it was nasty as hell.
Appreciate 0