E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > NYC bar connoisseur needed

05-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #23
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
That attitude would never fly out here, but then again our beer scene is different than on the east coast (there are some craft breweries popping up out there though). Many of the bars around CO specialize in the selection and number of beers they have on tap. These days I usually prefer having varoius beers when I go out as opposed to my younger drinking years when coctails were typically my norm.
Same around here, though the "beer culture" is somewhat ingrained in the Wisconsin attitudes.

I much prefer to drink several, locally brewed beers over having a few cocktails.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #24
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
That attitude would never fly out here, but then again our beer scene is different than on the east coast (there are some craft breweries popping up out there though). Many of the bars around CO specialize in the selection and number of beers they have on tap. These days I usually prefer having varoius beers when I go out as opposed to my younger drinking years when coctails were typically my norm.
All depends what type of establishment you frequent...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #25
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
That's true. If I happen to be at a martini bar or lounge, I'm probably there to have a martini or other type of coctail anyway. I rarely frequent those establishments these days though.
      05-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #26
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Indeed, and your plans afterward. We'll be heading to dinner after, so beers are out for me or I won't be hungry. We'll be going to this place mostly for the history and atmosphere (I'll be with two literati types). A single scotch will work fine for me.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #27
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Ok, I'm no corner sewer of the bar scene. Not by a long shot. But we have an upcoming trip to NYC and a friend of ours wants to meet at Bemelmans for a drink before dinner. Looks like an interesting enough place. The bar menu raised my eyebrows a bit, I must admit. I'm not a cheapskate, but $10 for a Sam Adams is highway robbery. I'd be more likely to opt for a good single malt scotch at $18. At least I can make that last a while.

Is this normal for nice bars in NYC? Anyone ever been to this place?
This would not be considered a "bar" in NYC. Its in an old money type hotels bar, not for everyday NYers. Not that theres anything wrong with it, just expect a stuffy atmosphere. The price is avg though for any decent bar/lounge in the city. Not sure your age or scene you are looking for but this would not be a recommendation from a native
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #28
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
This would not be considered a "bar" in NYC. Its in an old money type hotels bar, not for everyday NYers. Not that theres anything wrong with it, just expect a stuffy atmosphere. The price is avg though for any decent bar/lounge in the city. Not sure your age or scene you are looking for but this would not be a recommendation from a native
Not my choice. Our dinner guest suggested it. Like I said in another post, my wife and our guest are literary types and this bar is a shrine to a famous children's author. I'm fine with that. I'm not expecting to be rocked by the atmosphere. In fact, if it's half empty I'll be quite happy. I'll just sit and nurse my scotch.

And I'm a few years into my second half-century, so quiet is good. My ears ring loud enough without the added noise.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #29
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #30
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

$10 for a sam adams is about average in NYC.

I went to Sky Room one night (never do it again), and got charged $18 for a cranberry vodka. It was in a glass the size of a mouthwash cup. Absolute robbery.

However, there are great places out there with realistic prices, you just need to spend some time looking for them.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #31
falconati
Rep
Drives: M235i/Ducati HM796

To answer the original question: yes, this is unfortunately pretty standard. $18 is high for a drink, but not unheard of. I think the most expensive cocktail I've had was $25 at Per Se (I did feel that it was worth it, though).

Instead of Bemelmans, I would head down the street to Bar Pleiadies. About as expensive but amazing bar snacks.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #32
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

If you are looking for a nice bar that is not super loud or packed. Check out the flatiron room. Probably the largest selection of whiskeys in New York, not cheap, but not super expensive, especially for what you're getting. You need only book a reservation as they do not fill to capacity like other bars do.

http://www.theflatironroom.com/

Their food is ok, standard small plates and higher end but pricier bar food (small plates etc, charcutterie etc).

The caveat to this is that it is in flatiron, which is about a 15 minute cab ride from the UES where Bemelmans is.

Not far from the flatiron room is La Bierria which is the rooftop of Mario Batali's Eataly. Weather permitting the roof may be open. It is a higher end beer garden with a lot of very excellent craft beers, house made beers, good wines etc. Tons to eat there too.

If true cocktails are your thing. Then Speakeasies like Death & Company and the Pegu Club are places for drinks that are excellent but the expense is justifiable and without massive crowds. Reservations help at both places.

Last edited by druu; 05-14-2014 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #33
z4drvr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu
If you are looking for a nice bar that is not super loud or packed. Check out the flatiron room. Probably the largest selection of whiskeys in New York, not cheap, but not super expensive, especially for what you're getting. You need only book a reservation as they do not fill to capacity like other bars do.

http://www.theflatironroom.com/

Their food is ok, standard small plates and higher end but pricier bar food (small plates etc, charcutterie etc).

The caveat to this is that it is in flatiron, which is about a 15 minute cab ride from the UES where Bemelmans is.

Not far from the flatiron room is La Bierria which is the rooftop of Mario Batali's Eataly. Weather permitting the roof may be open. It is a higher end beer garden with a lot of very excellent craft beers, house made beers, good wines etc. Tons to eat there too.

If a true cocktails are your thing. Then Speakeasies like Death & Company and the Pegu Club are places for drinks that are excellent but the expense is justifiable and without massive crowds. Reservations help at both places.
What?! There is a rooftop beer bar at Eataly??? How did I miss that?? Next trip for sure!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 07:14 AM   #34
m630
Major
Rep

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by z4drvr View Post
What?! There is a rooftop beer bar at Eataly??? How did I miss that?? Next trip for sure!
yes its quite nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #35
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

We went to Bemelman's tonight. Pretty cool bar. It was packed when we walked in and I thought we'd have to leave without a drink, but then some guy asked how many in our group, we told him 3, and he pulled a reserved sign off a table and offered it to us. Not sure what that was all about, but it made us look special. Wifey and our guest both had a very sweet Riesling and I had a Glen Morangie. Dinner before that was awesome, so it turned into a really good night overall.

Thanks for all the advice here.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0