E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Subaru BRZ Concept STI - Amazing!!!

07-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #683
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
^ This one has alot of turbo lag.
Most likely. There are better ways to do it.

However, when the turbo is placed much closer to the exhaust manifold and with some fuel being burned there for a high overall turbocharger efficiency, hence less turbo-lag, there's the danger of too high temperatures for the turbo to cope with... for instance, Porsche seems to be having all sort of problems with turbos NOT withstanding the high temperatures (I still don't know why people say Porsche is reliable... let alone for the price! ):

Porsche Recalls 1500 Vehicles Worldwide over turbine issue

There is the possibility that turbochargers may have been installed on which the ball joints on the adjustment mechanism for variable turbine geometry can become corroded - 911 Turbo (997)/911 GT2 (997)

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 07-24-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #684
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Toyota GT 86 vs rivals

Quote:
Verdict

The Toyota GT 86 is a back-to-basics sports car that follows a classic recipe to deliver a smile-a-minute driving experience. It’s the sort of car that makes you seek out a twisty road rather than take the direct route – and it wins this test.

But only by the smallest of margins – because we think the 1.8 TFSI is the best TT in the range. The engine is punchy, refined and efficient. The Audi handles like a hot hatch, plus it’s comfortable, has a great cabin and is cheaper to own than its rivals.

However, the fact that the agile Toyota is surprisingly refined and easy to live with narrowly keeps it ahead of the stylish TT. Unfortunately, aside from its power advantage, the more expensive Nissan 370Z is comprehensively outclassed and comes third. Toyota has proved that it has rediscovered some of its sparkle and the GT 86 is our pick.

Winner: Toyota GT 86 ★★★★★
The beautifully engineered GT 86 offers the sort of engagement normally reserved for cars like the Lotus Elise. The boxer engine loves working hard and the handling is near perfect. Yet despite its focus it rides well, and the cabin is comfortable, if a little dated.

2nd: Audi TT ★★★★★
It doesn’t have the traditional rear-wheel-drive balance and engagement of the Toyota, but the front-driven TT is composed, fast and fun. Part coupe, part stylised hot hatch, its lower emissions make it the best company car choice, and with a decent boot, it’s the most practical.

3rd: Nissan 370Z ★★★
On paper, the rear-wheel-drive, V6-engined Nissan has all the right ingredients to succeed in this test. Unfortunately its gruff engine, hefty weight and poorly controlled chassis let it down. Although it’s the fastest car here, it’s also the most expensive to buy and own

Toyota GT 86 coupe

Pros:
■Hugely entertaining handling
■Lots of standard equipment
■Value for money, price

Cons:
■Dated cabin design and cheap plastics
■Cramped rear seats
■Engine feels sluggish at low speeds

Quote:
Drive 4.8 /5

The GT 86 is most at home on a twisty back road

Thanks to its simple front-engine and rear-wheel drive layout, the beautifully balanced Toyota GT 86 delivers traditional driving thrills. The steering is direct and full of feedback, allowing you to place the GT 86 on the road with pinpoint accuracy. And while the Toyota lacks the outright grip of the Audi TT or Nissan 370Z, it's lower limits make the car's handling feel much more approachable and adjustable. Strong brakes and a precise gearshift complete the impressive driving dynamics. The only weak point is the 197bhp 2.0-litre flat-four engine, which feels a little sluggish at low speeds. Still, what it lacks in outright performance, it makes up for with a growling exhaust note.

Comfort 3.9 /5

The GT 86 is well-suited to everyday use

Given its sportscar status, the Toyota GT 86 is surprisingly comfortable. The suspension is firm, yet does a good job of soaking up bumps, while the raucous engine dies down to a distant hum on the motorway. And while wind and road noise aren’t quite as well suppressed as in an Audi TT, the GT 86 is still a remarkably relaxing long distance cruiser. What's more, the heavily bolstered, high backed seats are supremely supportive.

Reliability 4.5 /5

Toyota is well-known for making very reliable cars

Toyota has a strong reputation for reliability – and there's no reason to expect the GT 86 will be any different. The 2.0-litre flat-four engine is normally aspirated, so there are no complicated turbochargers or superchargers, while the car's lightweight construction means brakes and tyres should have an easy life. And while some of the materials used in the cabin look and feel a little cheap, overall build quality is first rate. There should be no safety worries either, as every GT 86 gets a full complement of seven airbags as standard, plus there's the added reassurance of electronic stability control.

Practicality 3.8 /5

Not ideal for carrying larger items

Given that it's billed as a sportscar, it's no surprise to find the Toyota can’t match a family hatchback for space. However, it also struggles to match versatile coupe rivals such as the VW Scirocco for space. The two rear seats are only really suitable for children, while the boot can only swallow 243 litres of luggage. At least there's a folding rear bench, while the cabin is full of useful storage, including decent sized door bins and a large glovebox. Those sitting up front get plenty of head and legroom, while the driver will have no problem finding a comfortable driving position thanks to a wide range of seat and wheel adjustment.

Value for money 4.5 /5

Very impressive level of standard equipment

It's hard fault the Toyota GT 86 when it comes to value for money. For roughly the same price as an entry-level Audi TT, you get a car that's much better quipped and backed by a longer warranty. There's only one mode, but it has the amount of standard kit normally reserved for an expensive executive saloon. A touch screen sat-nav, Bluetooth handsfree phone connection and heated seats all feature, as do powerful xenon headlamps and 17-inch alloy wheels. And as with every Toyota, the GT 86 is backed by a generous five year, 100,000-mile guarantee.

Running costs 3.1 /5

The GT 86 is not as fuel efficient as its rivals

The average official fuel economy figure for the GT 86 is 36.2mpg, with emissions of 181g/km, putting it in Road Tax band I - which is quite high. While the mpg figure may be achievable on longer journeys, heavy use of the throttle will no doubt see this figure drop quite considerably, resulting in regular fuel stops. However, the added peace of mind of a five year warranty should help to keep any unscheduled repair costs to a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #685
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

^I thought I was obsessed with the BRZ but you definitely take the crown. Subaru should hire you (if you are not getting paid already)!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #686
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
^I thought I was obsessed with the BRZ but you definitely take the crown. Subaru should hire you (if you are not getting paid already)!
There is NO other car that is worth to talk about at the moment... I'm trying to convince Toyota and Subaru to give me a Toyobaru for free.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #687
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:23 AM   #688
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

GTF: are you a Toyota employee?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #689
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh View Post
GTF: are you a Toyota employee?

Is Jeremy Clarckson a Mercedes employee?! Is Chris Harris a Porsche employee?! Are the 1addicts forum administrators and moderators BMW employees or all its members for that matter?!

Are you serious?!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #690
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
Is Jeremy Clarckson a Mercedes employee?! Is Chris Harris a Porsche employee?! Are the 1addicts forum administrators and moderators BMW employees or all its members for that matter?!

Are you serious?!
Well, you do religiously bump this about every hour. Isn't there a BRZ forum somewhere that needs you?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #691
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

why wasn't the 128i included in that comparison!
      07-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #692
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
Well, you do religiously bump this about every hour. Isn't there a BRZ forum somewhere that needs you?
He certainly has an agenda, more than just liking the car. Its plainly obvious. A company shill is my guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #693
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
why wasn't the 128i included in that comparison!
The 128i is not available in the UK... what best resembles the 128i is the 125i with the 6 cylinder engine and 218 hp.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 08-05-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #694
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Another little vid which shows how the Toyobaru can be FUN even at very low speeds...

Low grip concrete
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #695
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
He certainly has an agenda, more than just liking the car. Its plainly obvious. A company shill is my guess.
Not to mention 453 of his 455 posts are in this thread lol
      07-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #696
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
The Toyobaru is that good!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #697
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
And he swears he has a 1M.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #698
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

The Toyobaru got BIMMERIZED... inline-six 86x86 (bore x stroke) turbocharged engine...

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #699
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It’s amazing how many things were written about the BRZ/FRS twins, even before anyone ever drove the cars. Perhaps the dozen concept cars and years of speculation had something to do with it. Those speculations, hype, expert opinions, comparisons, test, track analysis, drifting y0!, all has been written about and discussed to death. Is there anything I could possibly add to this diarrhea of SEO keywords?

Yes, there is.
Quote:
The sporty suspension did an excellent job of absorbing all of the irregularities of these old roads. The ride is quite comfortable actually, much better than that of an Infiniti G37s coupe for instance; it does not beat you up.

(...)

Yes, a hundred more horsepower would make this vehicle amazing but I don’t know if it would make it more fun. The BRZ presents some degree of driving challenge to drive fast. Any idiot can get into a Nissan GT-R and become an instant hero, but in the BRZ one really needs to work. The old saying “I’d rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow” definitely applies here.
Quote:
I’m not going to beat around the bush – I liked this car. I really liked this car. If I had the need for a second car, and I was limited one sporty car, I would buy this, even brand new, overlooking some amazing, less expensive, used cars. It’s well priced, it’s functional, it’s sporty, and most importantly, it’s fun. Based on Subaru’s and Toyota’s history of reliability, this little car will likely take weekend autocross abuse and still happily drive me to work on Monday. It’s definetly safer and more reliable than anything used too.

Disclaimer: I got the opportunity to drive this car at a local media event. There were many other cars present but this and the new Porsche 911 were the only two cars I got to drive. If I may be so honest, those also happened to be the two cars I was most interested in driving. Subaru supplied the car and gas. I took a day off work and paid the tolls.

Very nice and well written review!

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #700
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
Very nice and well written review!

Nico Rosberg>Kamui Kobayashi>Fernando Alonso>Lewis Hamilton>Sebastian Vettel>Jenson Button>Mark Webber
God. I don't think I have ever seen such a signature wrong in every possible ways. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! AHAHHAHAHAHA
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #701
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abisson View Post
God. I don't think I have ever seen such a signature wrong in every possible ways. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! AHAHHAHAHAHA
1. Fernando Alonso>Lewis Hamilton>Sebastian Vettel>Jenson Button>Mark Webber

I think is obvious!

2. Nico Rosberg>Kamui Kobayashi>Fernando Alonso>Lewis Hamilton>Sebastian Vettel>Jenson Button>Mark Webber

You need to have the capacity to see beyond the obvious since their cars are weaker...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #702
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Nice...

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #703
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Are you kidding me with this POS?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #704
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Are you kidding me with this POS?
Is that what you think the General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos forum is?!
Appreciate 0