E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > The U.S. is the Land of Displacement

05-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #67
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
mybe for having a family in FL that lived there for the 1920's???
In last 5 years, there were 5+ major storms in the Gulf of Mex, and over FL. Did not happen before.

The whole country is under a heavy drought for last few years -- in TX we're not allowed to water lawns (except once or wtice/week) for last two years...was not the case before...

My dad owned the same piece of land last 40 years, and told me that never before he had to mow the grass before May -- last few years -- in March...

And so on...
THe evidence is overwhelming that there is a warming trend caused by...???
You never disappoint. When facts are not available to support your argument, anecdotes will always be available.

Maybe you are right, we should alter our lifestyle because you can't water your lawn. I am curious though, was the Great Dust Bowl of the 1930's caused by global warming as well?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #68
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

There is no doubt that we are polluting. All the chemicals and gasses we put into the air do have negative environmental effects on us, and possibly the earth as a whole. The issues is how much are we really affecting the earth as a whole. Just because you need to mow your lawn earlier or northern animals are migrating further north doesn't mean it's our fault, it simply means that we're experiencing a warming period in the earth's history.

Why is it that carbon-based molecules were more apparent in our atmosphere millions of years ago?

Why was there just as much Carbon-14 in the atmosphere now as there was a thousand years ago?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #69
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
You never disappoint. When facts are not available to support your argument, anecdotes will always be available.

Maybe you are right, we should alter our lifestyle because you can't water your lawn. I am curious though, was the Great Dust Bowl of the 1930's caused by global warming as well?
Actually, I always give you the REAL LIFE views and facts, you give me the Bush BS...

Prove it the other way and I will agree with you.
Giving me the "earth cycle" BS line that may or may not be correct is as selfish as every other "argument" you had...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #70
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chbrules View Post
There is no doubt that we are polluting. All the chemicals and gasses we put into the air do have negative environmental effects on us, and possibly the earth as a whole. The issues is how much are we really affecting the earth as a whole. Just because you need to mow your lawn earlier or northern animals are migrating further north doesn't mean it's our fault, it simply means that we're experiencing a warming period in the earth's history.

Why is it that carbon-based molecules were more apparent in our atmosphere millions of years ago?

Here we can see the sunspot patterns in relations to temperature. How come in the beginning of the 17th and late 18th century we had such high average temperatures? Why did they follow the sunspot patterns as they are now?

Why was there just as much Carbon-14 in the atmosphere now as there was a thousand years ago?
Ah, all this is meaningless to Ganeil -- Bush said it is NOT Global Warming and that is it...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #71
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
mods should move this to another section in the forum... this isnt directly related to bmws.

because the majority of active participants on this forum are from the US, your going to hear more about the 328vs335 issue because its the only models sold in the US for e9x... before stating the obvious please review the population your talking about... imo this is a stupid thread.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #72
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Ah, all this is meaningless to Ganeil -- Bush said it is NOT Global Warming and that is it...
Do you even understand what the charts are showing?

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #73
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
Do you even understand what the charts are showing?
I showed you the other graphs some time ago showing the opposite...therefore, as I said -- PROVE the other way and discussion is over.
We can show both ways, but no one should claim it as a final...

Again, if the cycle was occuring at a normal rate -- I'd be OK.
I am not sure why is it occuring so fast and very noticable from the 70's when the boom started...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #74
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
mods should move this to another section in the forum... this isnt directly related to bmws.

because the majority of active participants on this forum are from the US, your going to hear more about the 328vs335 issue because its the only models sold in the US for e9x... before stating the obvious please review the population your talking about... imo this is a stupid thread.
YEP, should be moved down to other forum...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #75
Hiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Why didnīt the United States sign the Kyoto protokoll?

The U.S. are living in their own world, wasting all ressources, and they donīt care about the rest of the world ...

But we all have to pay the bill for this careless and egoistical behavior.

The image of the U.S. got worst in the whole world, growing up since damned Bush is the President and startet his stupid war against terrorism and Iraq.

Quote:
No wonder many different kinds of people would like to emigrate to the US.
Not really ...

Sorry, but this is the truth.
      05-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #76
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed250 View Post
Why didn´t the United States sign the Kyoto protokoll?

The U.S. are living in their own world, wasting all ressources, and they don´t care about the rest of the world ...

The image of the U.S. got worst in the whole world, growing up since damned Bush is the President and startet his stupid war against terrorism and Iraq.

Not really ...

I need to call BS on this.

Anyone who believes that an entire country is like thinking and all acts the same way is not a reasonable thinker. Yeah, the US all got together and decided to do exactly what you said. Perhaps you should restate your premise. As you can see from this thread alone, there are differences of opinion among Americans. Many of them are very concerned about resources, the rest of the world, etc. However, it is people like you who fail to recognize the diversity of thought in the US and elsewhere.

It's a real shame. You would rather criticize others than help them.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #77
Aija
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335Coupe 6-Speed!

America is a rich depressing country~
-We got the highest debt
-We got the highest divorce rate
-We got the highest valued houses

and best of all, which applies to this forums, we got bimmers

enough of this america vs other countries and gore vs bush crap please.

P.S. i believe in global warming. In politics, i hate bush and his bs.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2007, 10:14 PM   #78
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aija View Post
America is a rich depressing country~
-We got the highest debt
-We got the highest divorce rate
-We got the highest valued houses

and best of all, which applies to this forums, we got bimmers

enough of this america vs other countries and gore vs bush crap please.

P.S. i believe in global warming. In politics, i hate bush and his bs.
It's not a question of whether or not you believe in global warming, it's happening. The question is whether or not humans are actually substantially contributing to it enough to make a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #79
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Giving me the "earth cycle" BS line that may or may not be correct is as selfish as every other "argument" you had...
That "earth cycle" argument has just as much if not more plausibility and backing as the "global warming" fallacy.
Quote:
I am not sure why is it occuring so fast and very noticable from the 70's when the boom started...
Speaking of the 70s, weren't they all saying we were entering a new ice age? Oh wait, I guess they were wrong.
Quote:
Why didn´t the United States sign the Kyoto protokoll?
The U.S. are living in their own world, wasting all ressources, and they don´t care about the rest of the world ...
This shows how little people actually know about Kyoto. Kyoto is quite literally a joke of an accord. It it based on stupid numbers and has even more foolish methods of enforcement. Have you ever read it? It basically glosses over the fact that China/India is going to be and is starting to pump out a shitload of greenhouse gases with the economy the way it is atm. Don't even get me started on carbon credits and the like. I also have yet to hear anything that happens to a country that breaks it's pledge. I believe it amounts to gentle chiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 05:13 AM   #80
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Why do you have to involve f'n politics and politicians (Gore) in every day's life??? It is very simple, the globe and the weather trend is getting warmer and there is no dispute over it. The Eco systems are moving more north (in northern hemisphere), temp averages are way above previous, the weather is definitely more violent than it was in ththe 20th century.
You can believe whatever you want but it is time to drop the politics game and crap and invest more into this matter ASAP...because we may be too late...
The reason politics is brought into the subject is because the biggest and (to himself) the most influential promoter of the Humans Causing Global Warming warning is Al Gore. I've watched his movie, and I don't appreciate being spoken to like I was a 5-year old. Chicken Little.

Life on earth actually depends on the Greenhouse effect, so it is a natural occurrence. There are many influences that affect the temperature of the Earth: solar output, slight changes in the Earth's elliptical orbit around the sun, changes to the tilt of the Earth's axis, volcanic activity just to name a few. Looking at a hundred years of temp data can't show a trend for a planet that is over 4 billion years old. So if you believe driving a car around for a million miles or so over your life time is actually going to change the planet and end life as you know it, then maybe you should stop driving, eating, drinking water, having babies, and stop reading E90 post. Save the planet.

My suggestion is look at the Finger Lakes in New York State and find they were created by ice flows, or look at the Grand Canyon to find ocean-living fossils, go to the Bad Lands and learn that they were once the floor of ancient ocean, study the Sahara Desert and find that it once was a tropical forest. The Earth changes, live with it.

I refuse to let a politician dictate how I will live my life. I'll enjoy my time ripping the corners in my BMW and not feel guilty about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #81
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I refuse to let a politician dictate how I will live my life. I'll enjoy my time ripping the corners in my BMW and not feel guilty about it.
WOW...and you live in...???
You have a "dictator" not only trying to dictate your life but the whole world's life...

As for the rest of your post -- either accept it or don't. If it takes Al Gore or someone else to help you realize (or opposite) the effects of today's living, then, Chicken Little is too mature for you...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #82
rsjames
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Montego Blue

Quote:
Why didnīt the United States sign the Kyoto protokoll?
And why are the carbon emissions of many countries that did sign the Kyoto agreement RISING?

Kyoto means nothing, not only for the reasons another poster mentioned - China and India, which couldn't care less - but the fact that one of the ways of complying - carbon offsets - is a huge scam that is making a lot of people very rich and doing nothing to reduce carbon emissions.

Company A has two tons more carbon emissions than allowed, so it buys two tons worth of carbon offsets from company B, which was producing less than allowed. Net reduction in carbon emissions? 0. But, hey, it makes somebody feel good that they're doing something about the environment, and that's all that really matters, right?

I'm 100 percent in favor of reducing pollution from all sources. But we also need to consider all the effects of our methods of doing so. Some of the so-called solutions (one alternative fuel being widely touted, for example) are worse than what they replace in terms of their effect on the environment.

As far as global warming, well, it may or may not be happening and it may or may not be caused by humans. But the debate is far from over, despite the fact that some people want to keep the debate from happening.

Richard
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #83
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
WOW...and you live in...???
You have a "dictator" not only trying to dictate your life but the whole world's life...

As for the rest of your post -- either accept it or don't. If it takes Al Gore or someone else to help you realize (or opposite) the effects of today's living, then, Chicken Little is too mature for you...
I hope you realize that by the mere fact you are reading this post you are contributing to global warming (if you believe Al Gore). You do realize that it takes electricity to run the Internet, and it takes electricity to manufacture and use your computer, along with the lights and AC in your house/office where you are reading. Not to mention the fact that it takes electricity to feed yourself and your family. So why you feel you, or anybody (like Al Gore), can lecture the rest of us about how the way we live is causing global warming is complete BS.

The problem is AL Gore wants to keep the status quo when it comes to life on this planet. The news is, life will change on this planet, and the fossil record shows it pretty much changes due to climate changes, not the other way around. The things I discussed in my previous post are irrefutable scientific facts that are observed on the planet and in our solar system and others. You do realize that our sun will go Super Nova one day, 4 -6 billion years from now, and fry the Earth and the other near-sun planets to a crisp, so worrying about global warming, when it is a natural phenomenon and actually keeps us all from freezing to death anyway, seems to me to be a pretty useless waste of time.
Appreciate 0