E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Who hates their HOA?

05-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Solonng
Captain
Rep
Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

Who hates their HOA?

Just of of curiousity, who hates their Homeowners Association? How do you deal with them without loosing it?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
renegade
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

sign me up... a burnch of people with nothing more to do than try to regulate nonsense. Most of the time I just go directly around them and follow the regulations of the city - skipping their 'needed approval' and dealing with any consequences later (usually there are none). Such as back in the day putting up the big satellite dishes, or adding an addition to the home. As long as your not trying to paint your house purple or adding something crazy I don't think they can do anything to crazy.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Solonng
Captain
Rep

my HOA wants me to register my cars with them and let them know who lives in my house. To answer their second question, i said "the devil".
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

I live in a free democratic society.........HOA does not exist.
      05-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
renegade
Private
Rep

That's ridiculous! I would seriously look into any invasion of privacy laws/issues/etc. Personally, I would throw their letters in the trash..I haven't attended a HOA meeting 6+ yrs. and don't ever plan to besides recieving the monthly newsletter in the mail
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Fuck me... I take valium just so I don't go to federal prison...

I mean, I am glad they are there, but when you've got some busy body little Twit running round? OMG LADY take the crown off and pull the scepter outta your ass...

Grrr... I've been in enough areas without a HOA so I know that oddly enough 80% or so of most people will NOT behave in a respectable, neighbor conscious manner so I endure the HOA. But when I get second notices about dying plants on my rear porch when there are none? I get a little irritated. They've got something mixed up or they are just stupid but yeah... Necessary evil I think for now anyway... I didn't think we'd need to be concerned about this sorta thing where we are at now but yeah, folks just don't take care of their stuff.

Next move here in the next couple of years is going to be the 5-10 acres outside of any town...
      05-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
Solonng
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
That's ridiculous! I would seriously look into any invasion of privacy laws/issues/etc. Personally, I would throw their letters in the trash..I haven't attended a HOA meeting 6+ yrs. and don't ever plan to besides recieving the monthly newsletter in the mail
i don't know how to do this. pls advise me on how to proceed. also, they ganged up on me and the rest of the homeowners to put up a gate that costs 350k.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #8
Solonng
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Fuck me... I take valium just so I don't go to federal prison...

I mean, I am glad they are there, but when you've got some busy body little Twit running round? OMG LADY take the crown off and pull the scepter outta your ass...

Grrr... I've been in enough areas without a HOA so I know that oddly enough 80% or so of most people will NOT behave in a respectable, neighbor conscious manner so I endure the HOA. But when I get second notices about dying plants on my rear porch when there are none? I get a little irritated. They've got something mixed up or they are just stupid but yeah... Necessary evil I think for now anyway... I didn't think we'd need to be concerned about this sorta thing where we are at now but yeah, folks just don't take care of their stuff.

Next move here in the next couple of years is going to be the 5-10 acres outside of any town...
My HOA patrols the area with a golf cart and tells me that I cannot back my car in since the exhaust on my benz will destroy the plant life behind it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Solonng
Captain
Rep

keep the comments coming, i really glad that i'm not a minority in hating the HOA.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Solonng
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonng View Post
My HOA patrols the area with a golf cart and tells me that I cannot back my car in since the exhaust on my benz will destroy the plant life behind it.
I wonder what they will say about the 335i exhausts. (too loud that you can't have this car) lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

I live in Cali and own a house in Las Vegas that I rent out. I constantly get letters from the HOA there ranging from the lawn upkeep to having something in the driveway that isn't supposed to be there. If it isn't taken care of, there is a fine of $100 and another $100 for every 10 days that passes if it's not fixed. My renters are responsible for paying the fines, but it sure is hard to keep renters in my place because of the HOA.

Last edited by number335; 05-17-2008 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
renegade
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonng View Post
i don't know how to do this. pls advise me on how to proceed. also, they ganged up on me and the rest of the homeowners to put up a gate that costs 350k.
That's awful, I'm not a lawyer or anything but perhaps you can start getting ideas form this article http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...sociation.html and perhaps definitely talking to other neighbors - I'm sure everybody can't be in support of this
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
My HOA board sucks.... I think they all hold some low level corporate job and take the opportunity to power trip in the community they live in.... Bunch of assholes...
      05-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
Solonng
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPDAN View Post
My HOA board sucks.... I think they all hold some low level corporate job and take the opportunity to power trip in the community they live in.... Bunch of assholes...
Lol, i love your comment! Keep them coming guys
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Ours is a love/hate relationship. They used to try to tell us that we couldn't wash our cars in the driveway, because it "degrades the look of our development". We slapped them with a 4 page list on things that needed to be improved on their dime and that was that. Now they have a problem with the Z4 because in 2nd gear it has a nice deep tone, and the President came over to me and says I need to slow down or put the stock exhaust back on, mind you I have a completely stock car.
Also, my friend (E46 kid), tend to accelerate quite fast sometimes (never when kids are out), and we get complaints about speeding, however the family that complains ALWAYS speeds and never looks when leaving (almost hit me on my bike and then said I should be riding on the sidewalk.
      05-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #16
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Why the hell would you ever move into a place with a homeowners association? Also, what gives them any authority? It's your house and property, who are they to tell you what you can and can't do on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #17
Bimmer335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 Sparkling Graphite 335i Sed

Yeah, I hate the HOA BS, but whatcha gonna do..you live in a condo complex and that's the rule. And now, they're raising the fee starting this July, $48 to $289/month...wasted $$ that does nothing for you!

And to piss me off more, my condo lost value so now I can't sell it either...i'm basically screwed until the effing housing market picks up again...looking at another 3-4 yrs down the road.
      05-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #18
JetskiMark
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 Competition DCT AW

I have a friend who lives in Westlake Village, CA. He tells me that the HOA there will not allow a Direct TV satellite dish. Or a garden shed of any size. And if it does not fit in your garage, you can't store any boats, RVs, personal watercraft, utility trailers etc. on your own property.

You have to pre-approve the color of your house paint, yet there is a Pepto Bismol pink house on his street!

I would never buy in an area with an HOA.

My blood pressure is going up just thinking how Un-American this all seems.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #19
DreDre
Noob (but its okay b/c im a girl)
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord Coupe

i agree w/ yall's comments. my parents' street had one (it disbanded after about 10 years since the development began) and it was super anal especially a/b parking RV's in your driveway...

lame.
      05-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #20
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Why the hell would you ever move into a place with a homeowners association? Also, what gives them any authority? It's your house and property, who are they to tell you what you can and can't do on it?
The contract you sign gives them the authority. They can, and have, foreclose on your property for not paying their fines/monthly dues. HOAs f-ing suck. There is never adequate parking and they are always dicking you around. I am currently free of HOAs, but almost every new house (in the Bay Area) has some sort of association.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #21
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I wouldn't live with a HOA simply because I don't want to have a mortgage AND pay rent.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #22
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
my family only looks for homes without association.
Appreciate 0