E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Do we have any Radiohead fans?

10-24-2007, 07:12 AM   #1
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Do we have any Radiohead fans?

Well if you guys didn't get it yet, http://inrainbows.cow is letting you download the album for however much you want. This article regarding OK Computer and In Rainbows has recently come up though and is quite interesting.

Here's the link : http://puddlegum.net/radiohead-01-and-10/

Radiohead: 01 and 10
October 20th 2007 by Flick
Ten years after OK Computer shocked the world, Radiohead released In Rainbows on October 10 (10/10). Though no one was expecting the album to be released until 2008, Radiohead announced In Rainbows just ten days in advance. In Rainbows, which consists of ten letters, has ten tracks, and would be downloadable from a rumored ten servers.
Radiohead preceded the release of In Rainbows with nine cryptic messages. They repeatedly emphasized X, the Roman Numeral for ten, in phrases such as “March Wa X”, and “Xendless Xurbia”. The tenth message was posted on October 10 with a photo of the band drinking tea.
There has been a lot of speculation over Radiohead’s emphasis of ten surrounding the release of In Rainbows. One theory suggests that Radiohead was typifying a binary code of ones and zeros, 1010101010. This has come to be known as the Binary Theory, also called the TENspiracy by some.
Puddlegum first addressed the Binary Theory in Radiohead: 1010101010. Someone associated with Thom Yorke contacted Puddlegum, sharing Thom’s reaction to Puddlegum’s article:
“The meaning behind all of this is right in front of our faces, we’re just overlooking it. [Thom] has been expecting an article much like this one for a couple of years, as have I. But I’m willing to wager he’ll have fun waiting a few more. On the other hand, it seems to annoy him that no one ‘gets it’ yet, given the mountain of clues.”
Ten days after our original article, we have come to believe that OK Computer and In Rainbows were meant to complement each other. During the writing and recording process of OK Computer, Radiohead used the working title of Zeros and Ones. If OK Computer is represented by 01, and In Rainbows is represented by 10, then we have 01 and 10. In binary code 01 and 10 complement each other.
Consider that In Rainbows was meant to complement OK Computer, musically, lyrically, and in structure. We found that the two albums can be knit together beautifully. By combining the tracks to form one playlist, 01 and 10, we have a remarkable listening experience. The transitions between the songs are astounding, and it appears that this was done purposefully.
The lyrics also seem to complement each other. There appears to be a concept flowing through the 01 and 10 playlist. Ideas in one song is picked up by the next, such as “Pull me out of the aircrash,” and “When I’m at the pearly gates, this will be my videotape.”
To create the 01 and 10 playlist, begin with OK Computer’s track one, Airbag, and follow this with In Rainbow’s track one, 15 Step. Alternate the albums, track by track, until you reach Karma Police on OK Computer, making All I Need the tenth track on the 01 and 10 playlist. Follow Karma Police with Fitter Happier from OK Computer, for tracks eleven and twelve. These two tracks act as a bridge between the first ten and the following ten tracks on the 01 and 10 playlist. Then continue to alternate the albums again, picking up with Faust Arp on In Rainbows, with Electioneering on OK Computer as the following track.
Radiohead - 01 and 10 playlist:
1. Airbag (OK Computer)
2. 15 Step (In Rainbows)
3. Paranoid Android (OK Computer)
4. Bodysnatchers (In Rainbows)
5. Subterranean Homesick Alien (OK Computer)
6. Nude (In Rainbows)
7. Exit Music (For A Film) (OK Computer)
8. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (In Rainbows)
9. Let Down (OK Computer)
10. All I Need (In Rainbows)
11. Karma Police (OK Computer)
12. Fitter Happier (OK Computer)
13. Faust Arp (In Rainbows)
14. Electioneering (OK Computer)
15. Reckoner (In Rainbows)
16. Climbing Up The Walls (OK Computer)
17. House Of Cards (In Rainbows)
18. No Surprises (OK Computer)
19. Jigsaw Falling Into Place (In Rainbows)
20. Lucky (OK Computer)
21. Videotape (In Rainbows)
22. The Tourist (OK Computer)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Ive got it. Its really a fantastic album. If youre a fan or a casual listener, its something you should have in your collection.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Scottz71
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F25 X3 - Space Grey

Garage List
i'm a big fan...going to download the album today...I still put 'Stop Whispering' as my fav. song...with Fake Plastic Trees not far behind...I thought OK Computer was a great album as a whole suite, not like the individual songs on Pablo Honey or The Bends.
'07 E92 335i - Space Gray (Brock) retired
'15 i3 REx Giga World - Capparis White (Randy) retired
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottz71 View Post
i'm a big fan...going to download the album today...I still put 'Stop Whispering' as my fav. song...with Fake Plastic Trees not far behind...I thought OK Computer was a great album as a whole suite, not like the individual songs on Pablo Honey or The Bends.
haha that's funny. i thought their greatest singles came from that album. paranoid android, karma police. all up there! way up there!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #5
Scottz71
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F25 X3 - Space Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
haha that's funny. i thought their greatest singles came from that album. paranoid android, karma police. all up there! way up there!
from a pure singles and 'pop music' effect standpoint, radiohead's earlier work stands out. Creep, High and Dry, My Iron Lung, Fake Plastic Trees...were all more 'single' friendly songs...while OK Computer was very album-based and I thought more catered to the pure fan, rather than the pop charts.

Granted I like all of Thom Yorke's early work too...which was a bit more pop-candyesque....I still like Radioheads' later album too...and I am sure I'll like the new one.

Radiohead is the best reminder we have today of the late 80's early 90's shoegazing era of guitar-heavy, plodding and methodic alternative music...

I miss those days...music is too bubblegum and forgettable now for the most part.
'07 E92 335i - Space Gray (Brock) retired
'15 i3 REx Giga World - Capparis White (Randy) retired
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottz71 View Post
from a pure singles and 'pop music' effect standpoint, radiohead's earlier work stands out. Creep, High and Dry, My Iron Lung, Fake Plastic Trees...were all more 'single' friendly songs...while OK Computer was very album-based and I thought more catered to the pure fan, rather than the pop charts.

Granted I like all of Thom Yorke's early work too...which was a bit more pop-candyesque....I still like Radioheads' later album too...and I am sure I'll like the new one.

Radiohead is the best reminder we have today of the late 80's early 90's shoegazing era of guitar-heavy, plodding and methodic alternative music...

I miss those days...music is too bubblegum and forgettable now for the most part.
nicely said Creep was what hooked me in and the whole OK Computer album is what wowed me into staying. After that, i think it took a bit of time to like the other albums like amesiac and kid a.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

always been a fan of their various songs (my iron lung, creep, karma police, no surprises, etc.), thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

I'm a huge Radiohead fan, I know "Kid Eh" is too. I think In Rainbows is pretty amazing, the best since OK Computer imo. It's the most complete "album" they've done in a long time; very compilation-esque, tough to pick any favorites but at the same time no bad tracks.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
I'm a huge Radiohead fan, I know "Kid Eh" is too. I think In Rainbows is pretty amazing, the best since OK Computer imo. It's the most complete "album" they've done in a long time; very compilation-esque, tough to pick any favorites but at the same time no bad tracks.
that's exactly what i thought when i heard it. i'm afraid i might get tired of it in the near future since i'm listening to the entire thing once a day. i've moved onto the playlist given by that site lately, and it's pretty bad ass as well

+1 on the best album since OK computer
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #10
schneid4323
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, M6

wow i dont think anyone read the op.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I did, I just setup that playlist and am going to try it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
I did, I just setup that playlist and am going to try it.
i think you'll be pleasantly surprised
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #13
Neurorad
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 340xi

Living in self-imposed cultural isolation, I just heard of this album yesterday, from a friend who has downloaded it.

I'll be buying it, and downloading it, within the next 24 hours.

I caught them last year at the Bonnaroo music festival - great experience.

Thanks for the background on the OK Computer interdigitation, can't wait to check it out. I'll be sure to tell my friend about it, although he's probably heard of the connection.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
i think you'll be pleasantly surprised
You're right, especially near the end. The last section:

20. Lucky (OK Computer)

Is really awesome together. Reckoner is an incredible track.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #15
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ok, I'll bite - even though I think it's a case of drinking the Radiohead Kool-Ade...

For me, the band peaked with 'The Bends' and 'OK Computer' and while 'Kid A' was an interesting experiment, you really have to be in a certain mindset to listen to it - my wife hears noise and tells me to 'turn that crap off!'. If I hadn't loved the two preceding albums so much, I doubt I would have worked so hard to appreciate it.

That said, In Rainbows sounds great on the first couple of listens and I think I'm going to love this one. I optionally paid for it without hearing a note, so it had better be!

I'll try the above playlist - if nothing else at least half the tracks "OK Computer" will be awesome...
      10-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #16
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Living in self-imposed cultural isolation, I just heard of this album yesterday, from a friend who has downloaded it.

I'll be buying it, and downloading it, within the next 24 hours.

I caught them last year at the Bonnaroo music festival - great experience.

Thanks for the background on the OK Computer interdigitation, can't wait to check it out. I'll be sure to tell my friend about it, although he's probably heard of the connection.
not a problem . i paid 10 dollars USD for it myself

Quote:
You're right, especially near the end. The last section:

20. Lucky (OK Computer)

Is really awesome together. Reckoner is an incredible track.
the bit from Nude to Reckoner is my fav!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #17
Neurorad
Major
Rep

'Disc Box' price is 40 British Pounds. That's ~80 USD?

Is this correct? Why aren't they using Euros?

I think $10 USD would be good for the download. Have to consider that hefty price on the 'disc box'. What am I going to do with vinyl? Add to a land fill.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #18
SpecC
Rep

yeah it's about 83 dollars USD. i think it's just for collectors
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #19
fanbase
estate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e91

anyone going to shows on their current tour??

here are some pics i took from the pit during bristow, va show...complete with record setting torrents of rain and 45 degrees....ahhh.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...32a&id=5701565

2007 TiAg 328xi Touring: 6AT, Sports, Cold Weather, Thule Cross bars.
The Sports Wagon Association:www.velocityresource.com
"A sports wagon, by contrast, conveys an effortless and consolidated sense of self, a worldliness and maturity. You are more than just available; you're eligible."- Dan Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #20
SpecC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbase View Post
anyone going to shows on their current tour??

here are some pics i took from the pit during bristow, va show...complete with record setting torrents of rain and 45 degrees....ahhh.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...32a&id=5701565
haha thanks for bumping my thread! yeah, i'm planning to go to the golden gate park one when they're in SF in august. i don't wanna pay for jack johnson or tom petty though. jack johnson ftl
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #21
Robertbog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

The order thing is sweet, I cant wait to see them, this sunday baby!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #22
Neurorad
Major
Rep

They're skipping Nashville, unfortunately.

Wifey got me the disc for Christmas.
Appreciate 0