E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > The end of BMW ///M - Interview with Ludwig Willisch

07-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Thumbs down The end of BMW ///M - Interview with Ludwig Willisch

BMW ///M has lost its way.....X6M / X5M instead of building M3CSL, M1. Now they are doing turbocharging. Much like Porsche losing its way with the Cayenne and Panamera.

Mr. Albert Biermann - please inject some sense into your new boss!!!!

I may be off Ferrari for my next car.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/wirtschaft_-_handel/hxcms_article_514268_13987.hbs

(English Translated)

What is the role of the BMW M GmbH, and how important it is for BMW AG?
Willisch: We are a small-volume manufacturers, whose special focus on the topics of sportsmanship and dynamics. In addition to the BMW M cars, we all activities of BMW Individual equipment and offer our highly successful BMW driver training. This is the M GmbH or a kind of epicenter spearhead for BMW - we have a crucial role in the brand values.

How much units to supply M vehicles annually - and where is your personal goal?
Willisch: In the last fiscal year were due to the model change in the M3 around 16,200 copies, in the peak year of 2002, we do sell 26,800 units. This figure, certainly something up, we aim within the next five years. In addition, we provide about 20,000 individual vehicles.

Volume model of the BMW M GmbH is the M3, as the coupe, convertible and sedan offer - here it also the most developed depth. If it is the waiving any M3 Touring, and when will the M3 CSL?
Willisch: On the M3 actually accounts for about 65 percent of our volume and our development depth is almost 80 percent. A M3 Touring I agree to remain relevant market analyses, the same applies - from today's perspective - for a M3 CSL.

For the M3 optionally offer the first double-clutch gearbox from BMW - what do you order rates?
Willisch: On average, it should be around 70 percent, but this varies from country to country. In the U.S., by far our most important market, will continue probably 50 percent of the customers remain loyal to switch hands.

BMW now occupied convincing the issue Efficient Dynamics, with the CO2 emissions significantly reduced. Is it for the M GmbH, will also downsizing concepts into reality - for example in the next M5 no V10, but a supercharged V8 to construction?
Willisch: We examine all options. It looks really as was the trend towards smaller, supercharged engines to us not over. This, however, we must remain authentic, the nature of the M vehicles must not be diluted. For the customers is one of the most important purchase arguments. That is: We stay in engines, which rotate much higher than the engines of the series-BMW cars - but they are never a Formula 1 level.

Will diesel models of the M GmbH?
Willisch: We do not generally include diesel and for all times. But the medium term, there is no such intentions.

Meanwhile, almost all M models to the top. But not quite ...
Willisch: Maximum speed is not a development goal! M5 and M6 are available on special request for a 305 km / h abgeregelten maximum speed. The M3 can be compared with a peak of 280 km / h order. Part of the 2,450 euro expensive package is a BMW driver training.

Why do you not have any ceramic brakes?
Willisch: We are working on it. They will in the foreseeable future in some of our models as an option to have.

The fourth model series, with an M version crowned, is the detachment standing before the Z4. Will it remain such a variant? And close the sevens series continue?
Willisch: A M7 on the basis of the new Siebeners close we are - while we expect significant growth in the equipment through the BMW Individual. At the Z4 is questionable whether to remain an M version worthwhile. The priority is on the other, so far we do not use segments.

They believe the X5 and X6 models, which are still heavily disguised test their rounds off. From what kind of order volume go for?
Willisch: It is true also for these vehicles can I use the existence of the Nurburgring Nordschleife not deny. The BMW M GmbH is working effectively in such projects, but the earliest the end of 2009 on the road experience. They should be stückzahlmäßig in the field of M5.

That would be the first allradgetriebenen cars, the M GmbH. Even they are not equipped with a V10, but with around 460 horsepower, supercharged eight cylinders to be ...
Willisch: I feel your skepticism, but be assured: These vehicles will be sufficient lateral and Längsdynamik offer! When the engines so you can see already in the program of BMW AG, that a well-made turbo V8 really can not hide.

Remains the question of a sports car above the M6. On the Villa d'Este you have gathered the public the mouth with a waterborne M1 model.
Willisch: That was a very nice exercise but without serial relevance. In the foreseeable future, with a super sports car can not be expected. We must not fritter, we currently have many projects to lift - for example, the Concept CS, the BMW M GmbH to the serial car is being developed. But you should be as a vehicle, as you've got in mind, not lose sight of.

And what about the bottom of the program - when, with an M version of a Einsers, such as with a supercharged four-cylinder to?
Willisch: For us it would be technically no problem, we have lots of imagination. But now I see next to the 135i does not make as big market, which is a special model of our company would justify. And what is not calculated, we have ruled out - and we all future developments closely and timely analysis.
      07-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
That was a difficult and confusing read.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

lolwut pear?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Damn google translator sucks...but we saw some of this yesterday too. The debate ran on and on whether they will actually be named MX5/MX6 or whatever. I doubt it, and so do many others.

I didn't know that they were working on an M7 though...interesting.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
That was a difficult and confusing read.
  • X5M / X6M - end of 2009, 460 hp with good grip
  • No M3 CSL, M1, Z4M
  • 7 series - talk was on individual components and not a M7 per se
  • New M5 / M6 - Forced induction with more power than now and will still remain high revving
  • No Diesel for ///M
End of BMW ///M
      07-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

WTF?
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
  • X5M / X6M - end of 2009, 460 hp with good grip
  • No M3 CSL, M1, Z4M
  • 7 series - talk was on individual components and not a M7 per se
  • New M5 / M6 - Forced induction with more power than now and will still remain high revving
  • No Diesel for ///M
End of BMW ///M
You already have a FI BMW, why are you freaking out so much?!? This isn't new news other than the no Z4M deal. Just because there won't be a M1 doesn't mean that they will not make a supercar. Did you want BMW to just sit around making 11 MPG M5s and M6s? What else were they supposed to do to improve efficiency and keep performance?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Mercedes finally got to BMW.......

If you can't beat them.........join them.
      07-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
You already have a FI BMW, why are you freaking out so much?!? This isn't new news other than the no Z4M deal. Just because there won't be a M1 doesn't mean that they will not make a supercar. Did you want BMW to just sit around making 11 MPG M5s and M6s? What else were they supposed to do to improve efficiency and keep performance?

Yes and it has serious turbo lag compared to the M6.

Don't you see the strategy shift? They are focusing on making fast trucks and not fast cars to fatten their pocket.....it is called brand dilution.

BMW ///M is done.
      07-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
I didn't know that they were working on an M7 though...interesting.
Bad translation, Willisch ruled out an M7.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

They've got too much money invested into R&D to fuck things up. I'm not worrying.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #12
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Bad translation, Willisch ruled out an M7.

Best regards, south
good to know...i definitely misread that.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
BLITZ
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E34 525i M-Technik

This very bad news.
      07-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Yes and it has serious turbo lag compared to the M6.

Don't you see the strategy shift? They are focusing on making fast trucks and not fast cars to fatten their pocket.....it is called brand dilution.

BMW ///M is done.
T, you're polemic.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #15
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
T, you're polemic.

Best regards, south

South, I had to look up "polemic", I thought you were swearing at me in German!

No not at all. I am truly disappointed with ///M's direction.
      07-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I also had to look up polemic, good use of vocabulary.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Even if BMW goes FI, I would not complain. I genuinely think that BMW introduced the 335 (and other 3.0 liter TT variants) only one year after the 330 and such for a reason. The lessons being learned now with FI on the 335 will translate to better FI systems for the ///M series.

If the engine is still able to produce the same power and similar delivery of that power over its range, why not have it be more fuel efficient and less weight?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

how is this bad news again? I happen to like turbo engines, I say keep em coming
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

No M1 makes sense. Because of the namesake, and that it would most definately cut in on M3 sales. It would just be an overall unwise decision.

No M3 CSL. If im not mistaken, the whole reason we got a e46 CSL was because they needed a production car with a minimum volume of sales to match certain elements as one of their race cars. I may be mixing this explanation up with why the current M3 went with a V8 though. So someone 2nd or debunk this please. Aside from that though, I think that there would definately be a market for a bare bones limited production e92 CSL. Even more so because the basic M3 is so heavy.

No Super car. Not sure I really agree with this either. Creating a car to compete more directly with the R8, AMG Black, 911, and Gallardo would be amazing. Of course you can argue that the M6 is pretty close, but its really not.

xM5, xM6 series. Totally against this. Agreeing with T-bone here. Its a sellout move.

No Z4M. Wow. This is a shocker as well. What would they replace this segment with? Their are plenty of poeple on this forum with Z4 M coupes and roadsters. I thought this was a lock-in.

Overall, I have to say this was some negative intel.
      07-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #20
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom330 View Post
how is this bad news again? I happen to like turbo engines, I say keep em coming
If you had 2 cars with the same power, the NA car would be more fun to drive. Quicker throttle response and overall feel more alive.

Though some poeple do like the noise from a Turbo/SC and the pressure relief valves. (That little pssst when you change gears on some tuned cars.)
      07-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #21
southlight
Rep

Quote:

lol, it's commonly used in German and I looked up if it means the same in English.

I don't think that's the moral end of ///M division. They have to cope with the emerging green 'awareness'. It's not that they want to go the FI route, they're forced to go that way.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #22
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post

No M3 CSL. If im not mistaken, the whole reason we got a e46 CSL was because they needed a production car with a minimum volume of sales to match certain elements as one of their race cars. I may be mixing this explanation up with why the current M3 went with a V8 though. So someone 2nd or debunk this please. Aside from that though, I think that there would definately be a market for a bare bones limited production e92 CSL. Even more so because the basic M3 is so heavy.
No CSL??

What about these?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-bmw...top-speed.html

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...32&postcount=1