E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > SpeedTV Loses F1 Broadcast Rights

10-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
SpeedTV Loses F1 Broadcast Rights

Pretty big news to come out of Korea. Fox has announced that Speed will no longer be broadcasting the F1 races after this season.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-so...1-after-season

NBC is possibly bidding for the rights.

I appreciate all that Speed has done for F1 in the US. But their coverage is woefully inept now, I hope another broadcaster can breath some new life into F1 Broadcasts for US fans.
      10-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Damn, NBC will screw this up. They'll package just the races into a 2-hour daytime slot like Fox does.

Fox probably low-balled F1 and Bernie gave them the finger. Fox is already set to completely screw up MLB coverage for the next 8 years.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
SpeedTV, I don't miss you at all. Sick and tired of the commercials, and the 4 races delayed at FOX channels every summer.

But not holding breathe on NBC will do something good about it.
Most American sports just too much breaks and commercials, Football (Soccer) and F1 just doesn't fit to commercial ads based TV Stations here.
      10-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Fox probably low-balled F1 and Bernie gave them the finger.
What's interesting is the tweet from @JennaFryer says they were outbid. But the quote from Fox says "a fiscally responsible bid" (i.e. low-balled)

"It's disappointing to learn that F1 has elected to move forward with a different media partner. SPEED had been the US voice of F1 since the mid '90s, and it was a passion for many people at the network. FOX Sports Media Group made what we believed to be a fiscally responsible bid based on the sport's current viewership levels, but F1 has elected to go in another direction. We wish them well." - FOX Sports Media Group spokesman
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram 1500

I think Speeds coverage could do with a makeover.

At least they got rid of Posey (mostly).

Hobbs is ok but seems to be limited to pithy comments like "he's really legging it there." Geez.

The Pit guy Will Buxton is animated, but they give him about 20 seconds a race it seems.

Matchett is knowledgeable but has such a deadpan delivery.

I get that F1 has a huge British culture but maybe we could do with a German or Brazilian or Italian commentator for some flair?

Varsha is ok. Maybe could get a new tag line other than "turn up the volume"?

I guess we can't get Murray Walker.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
At least they got rid of Posey (mostly).
Not by his or Speed's choice, he is suffering with Parkinsons.
      10-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
SpeedTV, I don't miss you at all. Sick and tired of the commercials, and the 4 races delayed at FOX channels every summer.

But not holding breathe on NBC will do something good about it.
Most American sports just too much breaks and commercials, Football (Soccer) and F1 just doesn't fit to commercial ads based TV Stations here.
They should do it like the German's broadcast F1 over here. There are TWO channels that carry F1 coverage. One is on public TV, ie: RTL (Radio Tv Luxemburg). RTL will interrupt the race for tv commercials thru out the race. Or you can subscribe on pay tv channel - with NO commercials!

You can choose HOW you want to watch the race! Choosing from 16(or so) incar cameras and pit lane cameras. You can split your TV screen and set it up to view your favorite team. You can even turn on(audio) what is said from the car to the pits. It is all VERY cool! F1 is big money over here. And people will gladly pay per month for their cable/sat tv which includes "pay for view" F1 and Soccer games.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
They should do it like the German's broadcast F1 over here. There are TWO channels that carry F1 coverage. One is on public TV, ie: RTL (Radio Tv Luxemburg). RTL will interrupt the race for tv commercials thru out the race. Or you can subscribe on pay tv channel - with NO commercials!

You can choose HOW you want to watch the race! Choosing from 16(or so) incar cameras and pit lane cameras. You can split your TV screen and set it up to view your favorite team. You can even turn on(audio) what is said from the car to the pits. It is all VERY cool! F1 is big money over here. And people will gladly pay per month for their cable/sat tv which includes "pay for view" F1 and Soccer games.
I'd do that here. I buy MLB's package just to watch the Red Sox lose, so F1 would be a better investment.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Not by his or Speed's choice, he is suffering with Parkinsons.
I see. That is unfortunate, and he has my sympathies.

However in my view he added nothing of value to the discussion on F1 and was annoying to listen to.
Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking... " --J. C. Watts
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
Rich_Jenkins
Riff Raff Refugee
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I may be in the minority here but I think that the Speed coverage is great. I tried watching some clips from the BBC coverage and found the animated announcing to be quite annoying. It's a classy sport and it deserves classy announcing and I think Speed does a great job of that.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

Wow, that is fairly big news. Does anyone here think NBC is going to give F1 the level of coverage Speed has? I can't imagine NBC showing Friday practice live or frankly at all. You'll be lucky to get qualifying. It will be a disaster for F1 fans in the US if all we get is the race shoved into a 2 hour time slot.

As for announcers we will have to see what NBC comes up with. I like the Speed team, especially the level of technical expertise Machett brings to the table. Hopefully NBC doesn't send in a bunch of NASCAR folks to call the races.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #13
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirpitz View Post
I can't imagine NBC showing Friday practice live or frankly at all. You'll be lucky to get qualifying. It will be a disaster for F1 fans in the US if all we get is the race shoved into a 2 hour time slot.
I could care less about the broadcast team or Friday practice, but live qualifying and live (full) race is key for me. Anything other that will be a huge step backwards.

That said, with 2 US races on the 2013 calendar, wouldn't this be the time to increase media exposure of F1 in the US?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
Impervious
UNC FTW
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

That's not good for the future of F1 in the USA. Especially considering there will be a gp here this year which is sure to pique new interest.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Did they announce this on the Friday Practice broadcast?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

damnit.. i used to bittorrent every race a week after but i broke down and got dishTV si i could watch the races and qualifing..now i dont need it ...

hate SPEED.. it used to be a great channel when they played all of the old shows like shade tree machic and the commercials were from OLD tv.. like 60's and 70 commercials.
      10-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

This would be awesome if it came about. I'd gladly pay for special coverage.

While I don't especially like SPEED's coverage, it's all I've known, and I set my alarm clock for practice, qualifying, and the race EVERY race. I LOVE F1.

I suspect NBC will show only the race, and probably not live, and it will be filled with commercials and much much worse than it is now. I actually only dislike all the commercials, which are out of control.

On a 1/2 hour show, maybe MAYBE 11-12 minutes is actually show. Then there's the commercials that are obscenely loud, forcing you to constantly adjust the volume.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
This would be awesome if it came about. I'd gladly pay for special coverage.

While I don't especially like SPEED's coverage, it's all I've known, and I set my alarm clock for practice, qualifying, and the race EVERY race. I LOVE F1.

I suspect NBC will show only the race, and probably not live, and it will be filled with commercials and much much worse than it is now. I actually only dislike all the commercials, which are out of control.

On a 1/2 hour show, maybe MAYBE 11-12 minutes is actually show. Then there's the commercials that are obscenely loud, forcing you to constantly adjust the volume.
I have habitually muted commercials for years. Drives me nuts when I'm at someone else's house and they don't mute commercials. Then I remember that it's my habit and not theirs.

I certainly hope FOM has pushed for a "must broadcast" clause or some such thing with whomever gets the deal. Suffice it to say I'll probably never watch Speed again.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #19
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

If we lose live race coverage...Epic FAIL.

They also better show live practice and quali.

I have a feeling they will use the new NBC Sports Network, ch. 603 on directv.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Agreed, aside from actual racing coverage, the rest of the shows on SPEED are useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I have habitually muted commercials for years. Drives me nuts when I'm at someone else's house and they don't mute commercials. Then I remember that it's my habit and not theirs.

I certainly hope FOM has pushed for a "must broadcast" clause or some such thing with whomever gets the deal. Suffice it to say I'll probably never watch Speed again.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Where ever F1 ends up just make it good. Give us at least what we have now p l e a s e.
      10-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #22
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
So, as always, it comes down to Bernie and his bank account. One wouild think that bids would have been based on some specifications such as broadcasting all qualifying and races in their entirety. UNLESS, it's really only about the money and high bid wins - even if the winner elects to show only half the races.
I'm sure we would find out if we ever learn about the contract. Hopefully the parent company NBC will handle this no worse than Fox/Speed and show practices and qualifying live on one of their cable channels. The worst would be these yutzes trying to fit it into a regular, network programming slot - say during Sunday football.

Last edited by ptack; 10-14-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0