E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2015 C-Class review

03-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

2015 C-Class review

Crushing the compact luxury game, even if it isn't the sportiest car in the segment:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/11/2...-class-review/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoblog Ed. Jonathan Ramsey
Ladders. As children, we learn how important they are: even if you don't know who Jacob was or where he was climbing, you know how to make his ladder from string. If you don't want to be cursed, you know not to walk under them; and if you want to win the game, you know you need to avoid the chutes and climb the ladders. As adults, ladders take on more practical (if metaphorical) importance: if you want to rise above your station – to win the game of life, say – you need to avoid the chutes and climb the ladders.

It was the early 1980s when German automakers began introducing their aspirational four-wheeled ladders, and there are still three sedan Leitens to choose from depending on what you want your ladder to say: there's the C, E, S, the 3, 5, 7 and the A4, A6, A8. The point of any ladder, though, has always been to climb – the only reason you stepped on the bottom rung was because you intended to get to the top, or at least as close as you could muster.

That might change with this car, the 2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class. It might be so good that there's no need to climb any higher.

The new C is being called "the baby S-Class" for obvious reasons.
We've been reading about the new C-Class for months and got to see it in person at the Detroit Auto Show, so its major points have already been covered. It's larger, lighter, quicker, more elegant, more spacious, more powerful and more luxurious than the current sedan. So when we were given a chance to drive it after the Geneva Motor Show, our primary task was to see if it all came together properly. After being given just a few hours behind the wheel, our first impressions are that it most certainly does.

The new C is being called "the baby S-Class" for obvious reasons. Unlike the current C-Class or even the latest E-Class, it has forsaken all of its previously wedgey shape for an upright front graduating into a long hood and a long, laidback greenhouse followed by a visually short trunk, with those stretched-out flanks cut by sharp character lines. That's the S-Class playbook.

But it's easy to glue on some design cues – carmakers do it even when they shouldn't in order to strengthen family connections. It's much more difficult to make your near entry-level sedan feel like your marquee brougham. This is the C-Class that manages it, unlike every other iteration before.

It starts with that interior, which is nicer than anything else Mercedes makes that doesn't begin with an "S." Stuttgart has clearly put a ton of work into the refinement of its finishes, so even though we're dealing with many of the same materials we're used to – leather, wood, aluminum – they feel qualitatively better than before. The puzzle-piece componentry of the current car has morphed into a tapering ribbon of utility accented with gloss black and metallic sheen; the manmade leather on the seats and steering wheel doesn't just feel like leather, it feels like hide; the seat switches could come straight from the S-Class; the display screen between the gauges is full-color and lush.

Yes, there are some differences. The open-pore black ash (which we will get in the US, contrary to what we were told before) looks great, but the cubby cover in the center console is thin and gets cranky about anything out of place within its confines when you try to close it. Those high-class window switches make the mirror controls above them look kind of ordinary. Mercedes is gung-ho about its analogue clocks for some reason, but we wish that instead of the timepiece installed below the CD player, they had included 'forward' and 'back' buttons to shuffle through media. Yes, there are track buttons on the steering wheel, but we'll get to those in a moment. Let us admit, however, that these are nitpicks. Part of the problem is that almost everything is so good inside that segment-appropriate switchgear, like the truly ordinary buttons on the steering wheel, suddenly feels like they're not good enough. We have to see how it ages, but right now the fact is that this interior is fabulous.

The interior is nicer than anything else Mercedes makes that doesn't begin with an "S."

The new COMAND system is deep, and we could have spent the two days on nothing more than elucidating its mysteries. Overall, it's very good and easy to use, with many new menus and enhanced animations for a number of options. Mercedes has thankfully retained a familiar main knob control under the touchpad. This particular driver doesn't use finger-swiping gestures to do anything other than scroll a page on our phone and turn the page of a book – of the e- and paper varieties – so going for the knob was reflexive. When entering an address in the nav system with fingertip writing, the system read every letter perfectly, so we expect that you master swipers will be pleased. However, Yours Truly could do it quicker with the knob, so we only tried used the fingertip method once.

COMAND is normally so easy to navigate that its clunky bits have been made that much more strange.

As with the interior, COMAND is normally so easy to navigate that its clunky bits have been made that much more strange. To go back to those track buttons, say you have media on the center screen and audio selected on the in-dash display. If you want to advance a track, when you hit the up-arrow button on the steering wheel, it takes you from the individual track being displayed to the list of tracks in the playlist, and then you have to hit the down-arrow button to get to the next track. Oftentimes the OK button in between the arrows would take us to the main menu, just like the Home button would do, so we weren't sure when it was merely going to register an "okay" or when it was going to say, "Okay, let's go over here now." Nitpicks, again, and you get these incidents in just about every car. You'll figure out how to do everything you really want in 78 seconds. Oh, and the audio clarity of the Burmester stereo – whose work was once standard equipment on the Bugatti Veyron – is outstanding.

For our drive, we chose a C400 4Matic with the AMG package, which gets the sportier front and rear aprons and side skirts with chrome trim, 18-inch wheels with cross-drilled brakes, sport seats with perforated centers, a flat-bottomed steering wheel and stainless steel pedals with rubber lugs. 4Matic uses a 45/55 front-to-rear power split by default, and adds 154 pounds to the curb weight for the privilege of added foul-weather facility.

The "baby S-Class" sensations continue under power. There are five drive modes to choose from, Comfort is the default, Eco, Sport, Sport+ and Individual being the other options. Eco mode uses a host of power-saving technologies to help boost gas mileage so it doesn't need to abscond with all of the engine power to earn its green cred; while there's a noticeable difference in performance, it isn't off-putting. At the other end, we finally have a car you can put in Sport on the highway and not lose top gear; the 7G-Tronic transmission will remain in seventh at speed but kick down earlier – to go with sharper throttle inputs and steering – when cruising.

Our car was fitted with Airmatic suspension, and the choices in the Individual mode allow the driver to toggle between Comfort, Sport, Sport+ and Manual settings to tune the steering, damping and transmission behavior. The new C-Class is not a sport sedan, though, no matter how aggressively you set it, but it is an exceptionally sporty luxury sedan when it bares its teeth. It doesn't lack for acceleration, but with all the touting of weight savings, it didn't feel as fleet as we expected. Then we found an empty bit of road, put it into Sport+ and gave the throttle some what-for, at which point the bustle and gown came off and the car bolted. It's in there, but you've got to go get it.

The new C-Class is not a sport sedan but it is an exceptionally sporty luxury sedan when it bares its teeth.

Sitting in the passenger seat while our drive partner tackled a bit of curvy road, the sedan's attitude remained perfectly flat. Attacking a few corners ourselves, the C proved it's game to play, but it's obviously not a hill-climb machine. The base model is 220 pounds lighter than the current car, but add in that twin-turbo V6, 4Matic and all the options thrown at our test car, and it becomes clear you're moving weight. The rear-wheel-drive C300 will be lighter on its contact patches when it arrives in Q1 of 2015, but frankly, no one's going to be buying this car to attack corners because, well, "baby S-Class."

Which returns us to how the cabin feels – quiet. The aluminium-hybrid bodyshell is more rigid and uses fewer components, further enhanced by more noise insulation and sound-absorbing materials, aerodynamic detailing to decrease wind noise (and increase fuel economy), more advanced door seals and even a quiet central locking mechanism.

The auto stop-start mechanism is so subtle we didn't even realize it was active.

In particular, the auto stop-start mechanism is so subtle we didn't even realize it was active, and we had to pull over twice to verify it. The first time we pulled over, a truck passed by in the opposite lane on the restart, and even though we had our ear next to the steering wheel, we couldn't hear the engine fire up. The interior ambiance is hushed and sturdy, well above its compact premium pay-grade – perhaps more enlighteningly described as offering Lexus-like quiet with a Teutonic bearing.

We had planned to ask engineers some questions on the second day, but the only off-key note of our drive obliterated those plans. Buyers who don't want to lay out for COMAND Online with its larger screen and polished navigation can stick with the standard system, then purchase a Garmin SD card that fits into a slot in the center armrest and enables in-car navigation – which we think is a great thing. On Day 2, though, the navigation system refused to read any of the routes that had been saved to the SD card. A Mercedes helper called an engineer and was told that we needed to lock the car, wait four minutes for the system to reboot completely, then get back in and it should work. We did this. Twice. It didn't work. We swapped out the SD card for one from another car. It still didn't work. Our helper entered an address manually, but instead of taking us to the Michelin test track in Salon-de-Provence, it tried to guide us onto the runways at the Aero-Club Rossi-Levallois Pilot School. Not wanting to end up on Autoblog in one of those posts about some dumbass who followed his sat-nav onto a taxiway, we called off the game and drove straight to the departure hotel.

Nothing else in the class will offer everything the new C-Class does.

A foible, yes, but a small foible on a pre-production car. More importantly, once you get beyond the basics like the split-folding rear seat, electric parking brake, the massive trunk and standard features like Crosswind Assist, nothing else in the class will offer everything the new C-Class does. All of the Intelligent Drive features from the S-Class will be available on the C-Class, like Distronic Plus with Steer Assist – a boon in the traffic-clogged rush hour of Marseilles, Parktronic and Active Lane Keep Assist, and remote activation of the HVAC system. Yeah, it's going to get spendy if you order up the lot, but you can't get this much lot anywhere else in the segment.

Here's another way the new C-Class is like the S-Class: That executive luxury sedan has owned its segment for decades, yet it's never given the impression that it's been trying to beat its competitors. It is everything Mercedes represents – even, and perhaps especially, when it stumbles – and it never deigns to argue its position. You either get it or you don't.

Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche said of the new C-Class, "It embodies what we understand modern automotive luxury made by Mercedes-Benz to be." This new C isn't arguing, isn't fighting, isn't trying to beat the BMW 3 Series or any other car. It is its own thing, surprisingly mature and substantial – the Mercedes of the segment. It has stepped off the ladder, and now so can you. If you like the size of it, the 2015 C-Class is likely all the climbing you'll ever need to do.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

I don't get why any designer thinks an ipad stuck on the dash looks good.

Otherwise I love the look of the new C class
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

sounds like it sucks to drive

that's a shame. m3 or bust these days for driving thrills.

im sure it is a very nice car, just not exciting. really a car for a different demographic than myself.
      03-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Suprised how good this one looks, never been a fan of the c-class, but this one seems quite interesting. I think if you fit it with a modern grill like the sportgrille in the A/CLA it would look great
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
sounds like it sucks to drive

that's a shame. m3 or bust these days for driving thrills.

im sure it is a very nice car, just not exciting. really a car for a different demographic than myself.
Your last sentence sums it up. As the article and Dieter Zetche state, the car isn't trying to fight the F30 for the sport sedan crown. They're making a car that's effectively a short wheelbase S-Class with all of the features and competency anyone could want. Driving experience aside, I'm betthing that this car bests the F30 in any other objective category. The interior is in another league in terms of design and material quality, the tech features are prolific, and the overall package is all-encompassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo85 View Post
Suprised how good this one looks, never been a fan of the c-class, but this one seems quite interesting. I think if you fit it with a modern grill like the sportgrille in the A/CLA it would look great
That studded/stippled grille looks fantastic on those models; definitely an upscale touch that I wish was shared with the bigger brother here.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
The F30 328 was one of the more disappointing cars i've driven in the past year....so it's not like MB had to try very hard to better it.

I really dig the way the new C-Class looks though....VERY nicely proportioned and designed. Well done MB.

Last edited by IEDEI; 03-11-2014 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Car looks great. For an E Class. I think I'm destined to just ignore the Germans until they get back to building smaller rwd cars, if they ever do.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Car looks great. For an E Class. I think I'm destined to just ignore the Germans until they get back to building smaller rwd cars, if they ever do.
Not going to happen ever. The smallest RWD sedans are this new C Class, the 3 Series and the new IS. Anything below, 1 Series Sedan/2 Series GranCoupé, A3 Sedan and CLA is or in the case of BMW will be FWD. The only possible small RWD sedan to come might be the Alfa Romeo Giulietta successor if:
1. Alfa Romeo decides to make a sedan version plus to the hatch...
2. If Alfa Romeo will really build the Giulietta successor on the new modular RWD platform
3. If Alfa Romeo will finally really bring something new to the market, and not continuously postpone their IPO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Marchionne
We are going right back to what Alfa Romeo was even before Fiat was involved, rear wheel drive, lightweight, good looking and powerful. We need to make what made the brand unique become relevant again.
As for the GT86 Sedan (turbo or hybrid), I doubt it will happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Levi, I agree on all counts. I'd love a GT86 based sedan, but Toyota and Subaru can't play nice with the coupe, much less make a whole new version.

Unfortunately, being in the US, I have almost no expectation that we'll ever get Alfas again, even if they do build something great.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Levi, I agree on all counts. I'd love a GT86 based sedan, but Toyota and Subaru can't play nice with the coupe, much less make a whole new version.

Unfortunately, being in the US, I have almost no expectation that we'll ever get Alfas again, even if they do build something great.
I'm sure they'll come if we in Europe will get them. The 4C is not really a car with which it is possible to enter a new market, just as the 8C was.

Alfa cannot sell the Mito and Giulietta in the US, they barely sell in Europe (only in Italy the sales or OK).

When Alfa will have a 159 replacement, they will be sold in the US, no doubt.
But till now, the Giulia has been postponed many times. First it was to be RWD a shortened Quattroporte platfrom (the previous model), then it went FWD to be based on the Giulietta, just like the 147 and 156 shared the same chassis, then the 169 was to come, based on the current Ghibli. Finally they scrapped everything, and currently developing the new RWD modular platform for Alfa Romeo first of all. If this time, 2015, nothing happens, yes I'll give up any hope.

For now, the C Class and IS are very good cars, and I don't find them that big. I think the main think that makes a car feel big is its height, rather than its length. Low cars, where you sit lower to the ground just feel smaller.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

To my eyes, I find that the "stubby" trunk helps this C-class appear even marginally smaller than the F30. Certainly not E-class big.

Regardless of its dynamic character, it is beautifully designed. Well done, Mercedes.
      03-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #12
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Mercedes is going to own this segment by a large margin. Instead of playing in a crowded field where everyone is copying each other with dynamics, they choose to do what they do best and that's luxury , something that majority of people care about. Well played Mercedes, well played.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Motorauthority has a recent review as well up on their site.

They say the new C-class is "the best car they have driven in the segment".
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Jag XE kitty will devour bratwurst
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #15
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Was hoping for more comment on the engine. TT v6? All the vids I've seen show the diesel
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #16
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloakster View Post
I don't get why any designer thinks an ipad stuck on the dash looks good.

Otherwise I love the look of the new C class
Absolutely spot on! This iPad-taped-to-the-dash look has got to be killed with fire!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #17
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
Your last sentence sums it up. As the article and Dieter Zetche state, the car isn't trying to fight the F30 for the sport sedan crown. They're making a car that's effectively a short wheelbase S-Class with all of the features and competency anyone could want. Driving experience aside, I'm betthing that this car bests the F30 in any other objective category. The interior is in another league in terms of design and material quality, the tech features are prolific, and the overall package is all-encompassing.

That studded/stippled grille looks fantastic on those models; definitely an upscale touch that I wish was shared with the bigger brother here.

Found a good comparison pic, the sportgrill looks so much better
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #18
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Mercedes is going to own this segment by a large margin. Instead of playing in a crowded field where everyone is copying each other with dynamics, they choose to do what they do best and that's luxury , something that majority of people care about. Well played Mercedes, well played.
I agree. The car wont appeal to me without a much sportier trim level, but I (we) represent a very small segment of buyers as enthusiasts. This car might cause companies to shift their strategy. If so, the biggest benefactor (besides Merc) might be Lexus because they can implement luxury features at a lower price point with quality to match.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #19
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

Mercedes have the best button engineers, with that 1.44mm travel you just cant go past the Mercedes interior quality.
      03-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_
Motorauthority has a recent review as well up on their site.

They say the new C-class is "the best car they have driven in the segment".
It should be noted as to why they think it's the best car in the segment. I can already see people thinking it's a good balance of sport and luxury, but according to reviews, it's anything but sporty it's just a pure luxury car.

Now it remains to be determined, what's the criteria for this segment? Is it sport or has Mercedes completely redefined the segment?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #21
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
It should be noted as to why they think it's the best car in the segment. I can already see people thinking it's a good balance of sport and luxury, but according to reviews, it's anything but sporty it's just a pure luxury car.

Now it remains to be determined, what's the criteria for this segment? Is it sport or has Mercedes completely redefined the segment?
Take the new refinement/luxury, add AMG bits and 4.0TT...winner winner.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #22
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

I actually prefer this nav screen treatment vs what BMW is doing.

The BMW nav looks like 1/4 of the screen is hidden in the dash.
Appreciate 0