E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Monmouth vs. Hofstra...

03-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Monmouth vs. Hofstra...

Ok guys many of you know the situation i was in regarding monmouth and their admissions. Well i finally heard back from them today. They are sending me a conditional acceptance letter and packet stating that as long as i maintain a C or better avg then i will be fully accepted. So they are still giving me the $4500/yr scholarship i was awarded.

However, during this time of flip flopping, i got a little turned off by monmouths unorganization. And ive spoken with many people who seem to think Hofstra is a better school, even better for my major (Communications w/ Public relations). I heard that hofstra's internships are much better due to NYC being 35 mins away. Hofstra is much more well known than monmouth is.. but what i want to know.. is, what do you all suggest? I cant decide btwn the two schools. Monmouth con is the admissions and what they did to me, but if its a good school then i shouldnt worry. But ive been hearing hofstra is better. Yet monmouth is offering me money and hofstra isnt..yet.

Ah im so confused!
      03-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
BitStream
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Hofstra is known for their Communications school. I wasn't involved in the program while I attended, but while I worked there I can tell you a great emphasis was put on their school of communications.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Internships are usually done F/T and even if you attempt to do it P/T it will be a bitch commuting from either Long Island or Jersey. So just do internships over the summer during the break (and live in the city), if you're even going to do any (in the city).

The admissions staff has absolutely nothing to do with the actual integrity of the communications program itself. Hell, the admissions assistants/advisors of the PhD biology programs I applied to have absolutely no clue about biology. They're just people who work to fill out paperwork. They're not the faculty or anything.

If you think both schools are equal in academic prowess, maybe you should fine-tune things by considering:

1) Living costs
2) Living conditions (housing, night-life, traffic, outdoorsy, campus/city provide a social atmosphere?)

Living conditions will probably be the deciding factors. Hell, right now I am contemplating between Irvine, Ithaca, and Manhattan. It's a bitch deciding. They're all different. Dammit.
      03-21-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Internships are usually done F/T and even if you attempt to do it P/T it will be a bitch commuting from either Long Island or Jersey. So just do internships over the summer during the break (and live in the city), if you're even going to do any (in the city).

The admissions staff has absolutely nothing to do with the actual integrity of the communications program itself. Hell, the admissions assistants/advisors of the PhD biology programs I applied to have absolutely no clue about biology. They're just people who work to fill out paperwork. They're not the faculty or anything.

If you think both schools are equal in academic prowess, maybe you should fine-tune things by considering:

1) Living costs
2) Living conditions (housing, night-life, traffic, outdoorsy, campus/city provide a social atmosphere?)

Living conditions will probably be the deciding factors. Hell, right now I am contemplating between Irvine, Ithaca, and Manhattan. It's a bitch deciding. They're all different. Dammit.
Well im also deciding by popularity. Hofstra is a bigger/well known school compared to monmouth in which only a few have heard of it. However, if hofstra doesnt give me money, then that could be a deciding factor. Getting to manhatten from LI is a 40 min train ride. Getting to manhatten from monmouth is an hour and 15 min drive. So.. geez this is hard.
      03-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Squawks
United_States
Rep

40 and 75 minutes? They're both the same then, give or take - they are both *long*.

If you're concerned about the reputation of the schools, then maybe you should do a little more research to make certain that one school is much more reputable than the other. I personally think the school's name where you got your B.A. from doesn't matter too much on your resume compared to your actual experience/internships you did.

With that said, I am seriously considering giving up Cornell (well-known) for Mount Sinai in Manhattan (not as well-known). Just because nothing beats the crazy-ass city.
      03-21-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
40 and 75 minutes? They're both the same then, give or take - they are both *long*.

If you're concerned about the reputation of the schools, then maybe you should do a little more research to make certain that one school is much more reputable than the other. I personally think the school's name where you got your B.A. from doesn't matter too much on your resume compared to your actual experience/internships you did.

With that said, I am seriously considering giving up Cornell (well-known) for Mount Sinai in Manhattan (not as well-known). Just because nothing beats the crazy-ass city.

I see what you mean, but with the PR major, a masters isnt neccessary. So i want to go to a reputable university for my BA. Since that is what most employers will look at. My friends tell me to f*ck monmouth, and go to hofstra. If hofstra offers me money, then i may end up going there. If they dont offer money, tough choice.
      03-21-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Well, in the end, you'll be making a good decision nevertheless. You're just deciding between two good schools so you'll always be happy in the end.
      03-21-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

I've heard it from many people and I believe it myself, The only thing your schools name might help you with is your first interview. People will hire you because of your interview. After that, it's all about work experience and getting that interview. The most important thing is to go somewhere that fits you and has a good school, regardless of reputation. If you went to a great school but didn't learn a thing they'll interview you, find out you're an idiot and you won't have a chance. I'm not talking about you of course, that was an example.

That's just my opinion though.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #9
gohawks23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bauer S29s

Well Monmouth should win because they made the Dance whereas Hofstra is in the NIT...
Appreciate 0