E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > I HATE FOX! (re: their news scare tactics)

03-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #23
sdorn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven24
Hardly anything on? If you like music in any variety, it's there. Commercial free. There's right wing talk & left wing talk. There's Stern, Maxim, ESPN, and even Kids Programming.

I haven't gone back to the FM or AM dial since Sirius.
I have XM radio in my truck, and when I am driving it I listen to nothing but XM radio. I have Sirius in my BMW, and I only listen to it maybe 15% - 20% of the time. With XM, there are 6 or 7 music channels that constantly play stuff I like to listen to. With Sirius, there are only 4 that ever play any music I like, and they don't play it very often. There isn't one music channel on Sirius that I can just tune to and leave it there.

XM's standup comedy station is way better than Raw Dog on Sirius. I probably spend 75% of my time listening to XM's standup channel when in my truck, but the standup on Sirius just doesn't hold my attention the same way.

As far as talk radio goes, XM and Sirius are pretty comparable. I don't care enough about sports to listen to sports talk, but I do listen to political talk radio sometimes. Both carry ABC Radio which is the only one I really listen to, but I also get the only shows I really care about hearing on AM radio.

All in all, Sirius just doesn't have the right content to hold my attention. I can usually find better music on the radio. There are 12 music stations that constantly play music I like on FM in Atlanta, so that beats both XM and Sirius. There is a great news/talk radio station on AM here in Atlanta that I also like to listen to. I guess when I go on trips I will make more use of Sirius. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have spent the $600 it cost to get Sirius installed in my car.
2006 Jet Black 325i (SOLD)
2001 Bullitt Mustang (450rwhp - SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #24
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
All in all, Sirius just doesn't have the right content to hold my attention. I can usually find better music on the radio. There are 12 music stations that constantly play music I like on FM in Atlanta, so that beats both XM and Sirius
I hate commercials, so I never listen to FM. I tried out Sirius via the free online trial and the music channels had too much DJ talk for my taste. I prefer XM.

FOX is not alone in this type of advertising. I admit that I do not watch a lot of national news (I read it online), but I do see the promos on the local channels. All of them have "breaking news" and "the big story" that fits this description on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #25
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

This was said by a classmate, something that will always stick with me when it comes to news media. "Do you think your house is safe?? Scientists say there are things in your house that could be killing you right now. Tune in at 10 to find out. WHAT IF WE DONT LIVE UNTIL 10PM???" LOL that dude was funny.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #26
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

That's absolutely hilarious!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #27
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLV
Yeah.... the media is no longer a vehicle for information. It s a business that capitolizes on urgency. I also blame any dip in economy or the slowing down of the housing market on them.

My favorite is: "You could be eating something that could kill you.... tune in at 11." Its no different than: "You could be makeing millions from your home.... pay us $99 and we will tell you how."

Bastards

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I just saw the news preview on NBC and it says "Will tomorrow feel more like spring? We'll tell you at 11". OMG I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL 11 TO KNOW IF IT"S SPRING OR NOT??? What will I wear??? I fuckin hate the news.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #29
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
I just saw the news preview on NBC and it says "Will tomorrow feel more like spring? We'll tell you at 11". OMG I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL 11 TO KNOW IF IT"S SPRING OR NOT??? What will I wear??? I fuckin hate the news.
Well, you could drive to Pennsylvania in February and stand outside waiting for a rodent to be brought out of his hole.

I think the internet is changing how people get the news, however. Television stations have a hard time competing with that, but I suppose they're not competing for people who would check their weather on the computer...they're fighting for people who watch the news because Powerball could change their dreary, wretched lives.

Media is a reflection of ratings, which are a reflection of our society. Therefore, when you criticize the mindlessness and sensationalism of news teasers and broadcasts, what you're really doing is criticizing our society. You're saying that PEOPLE are generally stupid, shallow, and with short attention spans. I cannot disagree.
Appreciate 0