E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Apple Macbook Air

01-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #45
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Overpriced for those specs IMO. I wouldn't expect anything less from CrApple.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #46
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
haha. I do admit they are priced high, but it is worth it for the reliability, style, usability, and design.

If you don't think those are worth a few extra $ then why the hell are you driving a BMW?

I like my MBP and although this is cool, I don't see it's practicality advantage over something that was already only an inch thick. It will be hard to find a computer bag that it doesn't bouce around in.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #47
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
haha. I do admit they are priced high, but it is worth it for the reliability, style, usability, and design.

If you don't think those are worth a few extra $ then why the hell are you driving a BMW?

I like my MBP and although this is cool, I don't see it's practicality advantage over something that was already only an inch thick. It will be hard to find a computer bag that it doesn't bouce around in.
Yes, they are a niche product, people don't understand that. It's aimed for people who want a really thin APPLE Macbook.

I don't think the computer bag problem will be that big of a deal.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #48
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: had e90, 330i mystic blue

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
It will be hard to find a computer bag that it doesn't bouce around in.

dude Apple have you cover already lol
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/17/a...eve-gets-real/
      01-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #49
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
It's not about the specs. If you want a fast laptop get a Macbok Pro, the Air is for people who want something very thin and light. And Apple is far from crap. Not my favorite company, but still way ahead of Microsoft and a lot of hardware makers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 12:38 AM   #50
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
It's not about the specs. If you want a fast laptop get a Macbok Pro, the Air is for people who want something very thin and light. And Apple is far from crap. Not my favorite company, but still way ahead of Microsoft and a lot of hardware makers.

+1 just see the zune, you can't compare it to the ipod, I don't even know someone that owns one

also iMovie it comes install in every mac and it kicks windows movie maker ass. and lets not talk about Vista aka biggest tech disappointment of the year.
      01-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #51
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
it comes out in two weeks and it's overpriced and useless. this is from someone who is a die hard mac fan and has purchased 3 different macs in the last year. no ethernet, no optical, insufficient HDD. for more than a MB Pro. no thanks. i was really looking forward to this, but i am thoroughly disappointed.
It doesn't matter, people will buy it anyway because it is going to be the new hip thing to have. I LOL every time I see an iPhone.. Practical?? No. But it is the new hip thing to have, and everyone wants one to 'up' their image. What is it, 60$ a month???

-Nathan
      01-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #52
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
It doesn't matter, people will buy it anyway because it is going to be the new hip thing to have. I LOL every time I see an iPhone.. Practical?? No. But it is the new hip thing to have, and everyone wants one to 'up' their image. What is it, 60$ a month???

-Nathan
Nathan, honestly I like the IPhone quite a bit. If it was 3G, I would have one. I could give a rats ass about upping image and the Iphone being about image. In Socal, even HS kids have IPhones, it isn't really a big deal. If you are in HS it might be an image issue, if you are an older professional, perhaps you just like the built in IPod and Interface? The interface is quite slick and MUCH better than my Sprint HTC Mogul.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #53
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post

-Nathan
are you kidding me? iPhone is the most practical phone out there. $60 a month for unlimited internet and voice + 200sms is nothing..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #54
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
are you kidding me? iPhone is the most practical phone out there. $60 a month for unlimited internet and voice + 200sms is nothing..
That would be a great deal.... But its unlimited slow internet and its only 450 mins a month....

I checked about switching my sprint plan with 5 phones all unlimited internet and text for $200 a month (a pair of blackberrys on the plan which blackberry data/email is $40 a month) to ATT with a family plan... In short my bill would be around $220 more at ATT than with sprint not including the price of the iphones.

Anyways I have a Macbook Air on order (1.8ghz) it will be here February 15th, I will let everyone know how it is. So far the only 2 things I might have an issue with is the keyboard not being like my powerbook and the screen is glossy.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 03:37 AM   #55
E(@M#
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94' corolla

really, what is the point?.....overpriced and underpowered....obsolete w/in a year
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 07:53 PM   #56
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E(@M# View Post
really, what is the point?.....overpriced and underpowered....obsolete w/in a year
Its not a freaking desktop and a 1.8ghz core 2 duo is still faster than most peoples desktops it will run circles around any P4 chip. I currently have 2 computers and when I need the power I fire up the desktop, a laptop is ment to be portable not a desktop work station. Right now I have a powerbook G4 and this new computer should be twice as fast or faster than that with half the weight and double the battery power. So for email, internet, movies, music, MS office it will be more than enough, I am not a windows nerd who need a 512mb graphics card to play video games since I dont play video games.

And your car isnt obsolete in a year? I cant think of a single pice of technology that isnt obsolete after a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #57
AJayE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
You Guys are retarded who think this computer is overpriced... what do you expect for the first laptop WITHOUT a hard drive???

it runs with flash memory, thats why there is only 80 gb, it uses 10 strips of flash... same type of memory new ipod touch and iphone uses

so stop being ignorant and calling this company crapple... you clicked this damn quick reply on a mouse that umm... APPLE invented and revolutionized..

your probably bashing apple as you change the song on your ipod lol

[JBE92335i]www.youtube.com/italiombiano
[Black Dakota Leather] [ZSP] [ZPP] [AA Xede] [iconz 830Z] [9500i]
[CF Kidney Grilles] [CF Vorsteiner PD Hood] [M-tech Sides] [Custom AngelEyes]
[Aero Lip] [Painted Reflectors/lowergrilles] [AC/S Roof Spoiler]
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #58
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJayE92 View Post
You Guys are retarded who think this computer is overpriced... what do you expect for the first laptop WITHOUT a hard drive???

it runs with flash memory, thats why there is only 80 gb, it uses 10 strips of flash... same type of memory new ipod touch and iphone uses

so stop being ignorant and calling this company crapple... you clicked this damn quick reply on a mouse that umm... APPLE invented and revolutionized..

your probably bashing apple as you change the song on your ipod lol
Better do some more research.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 07:58 AM   #59
AJayE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
optional 80 gb hard disk drive, or 64 sd Flash

okay i stand corrected but it still offers the new revolutionary feature of running with that feature

your paying for the size, and for the first of its kind.. all the wireless features it has is innovative.

plus the new multi touch track pad. and it already comes pre-installed with leaopard

i think its worth the money... even though im content with my macbook for now, the new macbook air is not a bad idea, not at bad pricing and a step in the right direction for apple.

[JBE92335i]www.youtube.com/italiombiano
[Black Dakota Leather] [ZSP] [ZPP] [AA Xede] [iconz 830Z] [9500i]
[CF Kidney Grilles] [CF Vorsteiner PD Hood] [M-tech Sides] [Custom AngelEyes]
[Aero Lip] [Painted Reflectors/lowergrilles] [AC/S Roof Spoiler]
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #60
calvino
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 e90 330i  [0.00]
there are going to be people that's going to buy it, I'm holding off because the new line of macbooks pro are going out in few weeks.

I own an Iphone and I love it, I don't see how I can be without it and is extremely practical, better than any other phone.

the fact is that Apple is really revolutionary, look how popular is the iPod most people own one, I don't even know someone that owns a Zune...

also look at the iPhone, is changing the way that people looks at cellphones.

now the macbook air, is the thinest notebook, soon others companies are going to start makeing other competition notebooks similar.

is the Macbook air revolutionary, YES but is NOT for everyone.
      01-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #61
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I love the direction of this new computer in the apple product line. Unfortunately, its not what I am looking for right now. I currently need a new primary laptop that is highly portable. If I already had a decent primary machine....and was just looking for a secondary thin/light machine, I would be all over it.

So, for now...I wait a little more to see if anything comes out in the next 4-6 months. I really need an updated MacBook Pro.....not a skinny (and somewhat downsized) MacBook.

But again..its nice to now have a third option for mac laptop users.
      01-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #62
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
That would be a great deal.... But its unlimited slow internet and its only 450 mins a month....
Internet is actually quite fast. Plus it has WiFi as well, and there are not many times I use it when not around a hotspot.

Quote:
I checked about switching my sprint plan with 5 phones all unlimited internet and text for $200 a month (a pair of blackberrys on the plan which blackberry data/email is $40 a month) to ATT with a family plan... In short my bill would be around $220 more at ATT than with sprint not including the price of the iphones.
Lie. My brothers plan at Verizon (he has a voyager with unlimited data, which includes texts) cost $5 more a month than mine. Granted he gets unlimited texts but big whoop. Sprint was more expensive than both at&t and Verizon.

I think the iPhone is practical (I use it a lot!). It has a full browser and the Maps are built right into the address book and everything, very easy to use. The only thing that could make that better is if it had GPS as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #63
E(@M#
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94' corolla

Quote:
Its not a freaking desktop and a 1.8ghz core 2 duo is still faster than most peoples desktops it will run circles around any P4 chip. I currently have 2 computers and when I need the power I fire up the desktop, a laptop is ment to be portable not a desktop work station. Right now I have a powerbook G4 and this new computer should be twice as fast or faster than that with half the weight and double the battery power. So for email, internet, movies, music, MS office it will be more than enough, I am not a windows nerd who need a 512mb graphics card to play video games since I dont play video games.

And your car isnt obsolete in a year? I cant think of a single pice of technology that isnt obsolete after a year.
matter of value here....spending those 1800 dollars isn't justified ....and considering what you believe a laptop should be used for....plenty of other notebooks would suffice for such use
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #64
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Its not a freaking desktop and a 1.8ghz core 2 duo is still faster than most peoples desktops it will run circles around any P4 chip.

Oh jeez, I just saw this

First, a 1.8 GHz dual core processor isn't any faster than a P4 1.8 GHz processor unless there are multiple programs running at the same time or you are running one of the very few programs that implement dual threaded programming. My 3.2 GHz P4 (desktop) is faster than my 2.2GHz core 2 duo (MacBook Pro) for most tasks.

Second, cars are not obsolete after one year (argument can be made if it was the last year of a certain production). What does that have to do with technology being obsolete (I am just missing why you put those together)?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #65
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh jeez, I just saw this

First, a 1.8 GHz dual core processor isn't any faster than a P4 1.8 GHz processor unless there are multiple programs running at the same time or you are running one of the very few programs that implement dual threaded programming. My 3.2 GHz P4 (desktop) is faster than my 2.2GHz core 2 duo (MacBook Pro) for most tasks.

Second, cars are not obsolete after one year (argument can be made if it was the last year of a certain production). What does that have to do with technology being obsolete (I am just missing why you put those together)?
Better look that up again.. The Core 2 duo and just the core chip is entirely different than the P4 chip the P4 chip had many design flaws to begin with. The only reason your desktop is faster is its well a desktop and probably has a faster 7,200 RPM hard drive not a 5,400 RPM low power laptop drive and other low power consumption components.

A core solo chip running a 1.8ghz is faster than a P4 running at 3.2ghz, partly because the core chip can do more calculations per cycle than the P4 can and thus doesnt need to be clocked higher.

I ended up canning my Macbook Air pre order, I went to see the glossy screen in the apple store and wasnt a fan, I am going to wait until its a none glossy screen. And I wasnt a fan of the spacing on the keyboard.

Here is a comparison of the chips so for a core solo 1.5ghz you need a 2.8ghz P4 to be even in terms of performance.

Core Solo/Duo Pentuim-Ms:
Core Solo 1.50GHz - 2.8GHz P4
Core Solo 1.66GHz - 3.0GHz P4
Core Duo 1.66GHz - 3.2GHz Pentium 4HT
Core Duo 1.83Ghz - 3.6GHz P4HT
Core Duo 2.00GHz - 3.8GHz P4HT
Core Duo 2.16GHz - 4.0GHz P4HT
Appreciate 0