E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Bye-bye M-640HP CTS-V

12-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

Car and Driver is hearing 85k for this thing.

Pretty damn sweet looking car IMO. I've seen a red CTS-V around my area few times and always thought it looked good. Hell I had a crush on the previous gen wagon version - I thought it looked the best.

I'm sure I'm not experienced enough to keep that much power under control. On the other hand this is more powerful and bigger than a F8x for pretty much same price given certain options. Build quality still concerns me though as well as user friendly-ness. I saw the interior and I hate this touch button/screen based world with cars.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #24
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Here's why I wouldn't consider it...the interior.

There's no question that Cadlilac/GM can match and likely exceed the performance of the German rivals. However, most of us and certainly the general public spend the majority of the time inside the car driving around town. As such the interior and tech need to feel just as special as the performance capabilities of the car and that's where GM/Cadillac fall short to the German rivals. The CUE infotainment stack in the Cadillac is inferior the German rivals by a long margin.

Hopefully in the next iteration, GM will have the performance AND the interior tech and design to compete with the Germans. Then I'd consider it. Also not a fan of the 8 spd auto (and reading the reviews of the same tranny in the Z06 - it doesn't seem to be as good as marketed by GM)
CUE isn't that bad once you get used to it. I think a lot like iDrive when it first came out, the hate towards CUE is exaggerated and just the popular thing to rag on these days.

iDrive wasn't bad when it came out and CUE isn't either. Sure CUE could use some more processing power( or a bit more efficient coding not sure what could be the issue) in regards to the zoom function in the navigation( can be a bit slow to recognize your pinch to zoom/slow animation or pressing the zoom buttons), but other than that it is smooth and fluid.

Last edited by quagmire; 12-22-2014 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #25
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

If the $85k is true then WTF is GM thinking? If they could get the C7 Z06 at nearly the same price as the C6 Z06, then why can't they do the same for this? Come on GM......and no manual and no hint of a Wagon = fail.

Besides, I bet the current CTS-V is faster than this one........
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #26
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
If the $85k is true then WTF is GM thinking? If they could get the C7 Z06 at nearly the same price as the C6 Z06, then why can't they do the same for this? Come on GM......and no manual and no hint of a Wagon = fail.

Besides, I bet the current CTS-V is faster than this one........
Because the ATS-V displaced it from it's previous price point.

I would expect a $75K starting price point then $85K though.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #27
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

It looks like a bigger ATS-V, like exactly the same car.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #28
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Here's why I wouldn't consider it...the interior.

There's no question that Cadlilac/GM can match and likely exceed the performance of the German rivals. However, most of us and certainly the general public spend the majority of the time inside the car driving around town. As such the interior and tech need to feel just as special as the performance capabilities of the car and that's where GM/Cadillac fall short to the German rivals. The CUE infotainment stack in the Cadillac is inferior the German rivals by a long margin.

Hopefully in the next iteration, GM will have the performance AND the interior tech and design to compete with the Germans. Then I'd consider it. Also not a fan of the 8 spd auto (and reading the reviews of the same tranny in the Z06 - it doesn't seem to be as good as marketed by GM)
I completely agree...the interiors are no where near as nicely engineered as the Germans. Materials, switchgear, turn signal stalks, base gauges, etc. are not in the same league.

I actually think the exterior looks decent though, but the horsepower is irrelevant...much like the Hellcat. If these cars can't hook up their rear tires, then what's the point???

Everyone needs to follow AMG's lead, I hate to say, and offer AWD....without it, in the real world where 0-50 mph is vital, an Audi S4 or WRX Sti would walk one of these off of the line in the rain.

You'd spend so much time in the rain feathering the throttle in one of these, you'd be overtaken by a well driven AWD car with half of the power!!!

As Pirelli ads use to say, "Power is nothing without control."
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #29
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Shouldn't be more than $78k, fully loaded.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #30
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
Shouldn't be more than $78k, fully loaded.
Right. While the M5 and E63 are $120K+.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #31
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
...in the real world where 0-50 mph is vital, an Audi S4 or WRX Sti would walk one of these off of the line in the rain.
Are you 12 years old?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #32
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I completely agree...the interiors are no where near as nicely engineered as the Germans. Materials, switchgear, turn signal stalks, base gauges, etc. are not in the same league.

I actually think the exterior looks decent though, but the horsepower is irrelevant...much like the Hellcat. If these cars can't hook up their rear tires, then what's the point???

Everyone needs to follow AMG's lead, I hate to say, and offer AWD....without it, in the real world where 0-50 mph is vital, an Audi S4 or WRX Sti would walk one of these off of the line in the rain.

You'd spend so much time in the rain feathering the throttle in one of these, you'd be overtaken by a well driven AWD car with half of the power!!!

As Pirelli ads use to say, "Power is nothing without control."
Alrighty, but you're (generally speaking, not you yourself) a complete dumbass to race when the roads are wet/slippery. Doesn't matter if you're in a 50 HP car or a 1500 HP car.

I like it when people say "Oh, an AWD (enter car name) will destroy that RWD/FWD piece of crap in the rain/mud/snow!"

While it WOULD be nice to see an AWD ATS-V/CTS-V, I doubt GM will. Just like for them to make a DCT variant, they have not. They made an auto tranny that is "suppose" to be faster but we'll see when the nannied ECU auto C7 Z06 is out.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 09:09 PM   #33
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Are you 12 years old?
unfortunately not, but if I were, I'd be able to make 1,032 posts since May of this year...

I realize I made the most fanboy post in my life, but I should have stated something more along the lines of this:

The current Audi S8 (obviously AWD) went on sale in the Fall of 2012, and it is heavier, makes less power (520hp/481tq), yet is faster, and I will guarantee gets better fuel economy. All of this on a chassis engineered 5 years ago.

My point is this: all of these cars need AWD - period. Power is nothing without control.

Did anyone see the Dodge sponsored press event for the Hellcat???

And even though the CTS V is rumored to be an $85k car, it is only that. I can promise you, once you experience an S8, you quickly realize it's worth every penny of its $110k price tag.

That's only a $25k spread. Regardless of what brakes they put on their cars, or how much power their engines make, Cadillac still has a LONG way to go...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #34
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep

Long way to go as in what? Making a $25k adjustment and some BS to the back seat? The S8 might be faster to 60 but it does like most AWD vehicles, it looses steam up top. The handles its own very well for not being in the same category as the 8 but maybe it is in the class of the 8 now, who knows.....

GM might have a "long" way to go in your mind, but to me they aren't far behind. I didnt like the last interior but this interior is nicer. Audi's interior have been alright IMO and the S8 front is nice but the back seat has wayyy too much going on. Only because of that middle console BS.

So there is nothing without control huh? You know, the guy who invented the Miata said the same thing. And what was that car? A RWD, 2 seater with 15x HP.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #35
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

Is it me or is Germany dropping the ball lately? ...Cadillac CTS-V

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/22/2...-show/#image-1

I think the Ford Mustang GT350 was a big hit and then GM follows up with the ATS-V and now the CTS-V. Both are gorgeous, in my opinion, and really sticking it to the Germans... 600HP and 200MPH. Cant wait to test drive all 3, I hope they addressed the whole handling issues that plagued them in the past.
      12-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #36
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERFM3 View Post
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/22/2...-show/#image-1

I think the Ford Mustang GT350 was a big hit and then GM follows up with the ATS-V and now the CTS-V. Both are gorgeous, in my opinion, and really sticking it to the Germans... 600HP and 200MPH. Cant wait to test drive all 3, I hope they addressed the whole handling issues that plagued them in the past.
While these cars are awesome on looks and power (in most respect) the overall quality is sub par. Every single GM car/truck I have owned has had shitty interior quality. Button paint always comes off everything. And for the most part, almost all the interiors look cheap.

And all that delco electronics crap needs to go. The vetts tech stuff looks cool though. I admit that. But Im not sold on anything american yet.
      12-22-2014, 11:27 PM   #37
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

I completely agree with you! American car manufacturers all fall asleep when it comes to interior design. Even the Daimler/Chrysler partnership couldn't resolve this issue. I wish they could take a page, wait... even a line, out of Horacio Pagani's book (well one can wish)

But we also have to admit that they've come a very long way. Specially when you consider a new M3/M4 spec'd out is reaching $90K mark, the light starts to shine on the 50-60K US made sports cars.

Here's hoping that the new generation has spent some time addressing interior and handling issues. If they have, then count me in!
      12-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #38
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
So there is nothing without control huh? You know, the guy who invented the Miata said the same thing. And what was that car? A RWD, 2 seater with 15x HP.
Sort of made his point for him there.
      12-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #39
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Long way to go as in what? Making a $25k adjustment and some BS to the back seat? The S8 might be faster to 60 but it does like most AWD vehicles, it looses steam up top. The handles its own very well for not being in the same category as the 8 but maybe it is in the class of the 8 now, who knows.....
Here is the thing, when comparing factory times it isn't. He is cherry picking a time from Motor Trend test. Factory 0-60 for S8 is 3.9. The CTS is going to test quicker than 3.7 as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 11:58 PM   #40
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

Looks ugly as hell. Would never trade.
      12-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #41
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

These cars DO need AWD. I mean come on, these cars are meant to be daily driven and unless you're blessed with tropical weather, good luck driving a cts v in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #42
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
unfortunately not, but if I were, I'd be able to make 1,032 posts since May of this year...

I realize I made the most fanboy post in my life, but I should have stated something more along the lines of this:

The current Audi S8 (obviously AWD) went on sale in the Fall of 2012, and it is heavier, makes less power (520hp/481tq), yet is faster, and I will guarantee gets better fuel economy. All of this on a chassis engineered 5 years ago.

My point is this: all of these cars need AWD - period. Power is nothing without control.

Did anyone see the Dodge sponsored press event for the Hellcat???

And even though the CTS V is rumored to be an $85k car, it is only that. I can promise you, once you experience an S8, you quickly realize it's worth every penny of its $110k price tag.

That's only a $25k spread. Regardless of what brakes they put on their cars, or how much power their engines make, Cadillac still has a LONG way to go...

Wrong. All they need are good drivers, not poseurs.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #43
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

no manual, no DCT ... no thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #44
swanson
Convicted Felon