E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Self-driving Audi RS7 takes us for a ride

12-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
Maxis
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F83

Self-driving Audi RS7 takes us for a ride

Where do you think this technology is going people?
      12-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Effing amazing would love to have it for long road trips but it would only work safely if other cars have the same technology and communicate with one another. I really can see this saving lives for the people that drive drunk, fall sleep drivers ir medical conditons etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Some questions I've always wondered about self driving cars. What does the car do when traveling fast and suddenly a pedestrian steps in the way of the car. Does it swerve? Slam on the breaks? How about in wet or icy conditions? I could see this getting ugly quickly.

Also, what if a small animal dashes into the street. Can it detect that and stop in time? Would it hit a squirrel, but stop for a larger animal? How does it differentiate between said animal vs. say, a pile of leaves blowing in the wind?

I'm not ready to make the jump to self driving cars. Lots of bad drivers out there, but your eyes are better detectors of what to hit vs. what to swerve / stop for in some cases.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I have been waiting for this! The high speed concerns mentioned above are legit but I would want it for low speed, high volume traffic situations. If a computer fails worse case scenario would be a fender bender. But in return I could sleep, eat, work, etc. instead of having a frustration induced brain aneurysm? Sign me up!
      12-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Some questions I've always wondered about self driving cars. What does the car do when traveling fast and suddenly a pedestrian steps in the way of the car. Does it swerve? Slam on the breaks? How about in wet or icy conditions? I could see this getting ugly quickly.

Also, what if a small animal dashes into the street. Can it detect that and stop in time? Would it hit a squirrel, but stop for a larger animal? How does it differentiate between said animal vs. say, a pile of leaves blowing in the wind?

I'm not ready to make the jump to self driving cars. Lots of bad drivers out there, but your eyes are better detectors of what to hit vs. what to swerve / stop for in some cases.
I'm sure the technology will improve year over year, baby steps first. Its awesome how they tracking the car first before actual real life conditions. I could see the reaction times improving as more scenarios added into the programming. It wont be dummy proof for a long time.

It is exciting technology, and seems to be almost here. They estimating production cars by 2020.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I would love to drive to an event, get shat faced hammered and have my car drive me home.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I would love to drive to an event, get shat faced hammered and have my car drive me home.
Yeah no kidding. Could you imagine how drastically accidents would decline.

Then again, drunk ass joe from the trailer park's 89 Bronco probably wouldn't communicate with an RS7.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

1 drunk ass Joe is better than 2.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Has no one seen the Hyundai commercial.....if Audi has the same technology in their cars then it "should" act the same. But IMO, we are still decades away from a self driving car that will function properly.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Most drivers on the road don't function properly. I'll take a C64 over most texting idiots.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Should be fun tracking a driverless car. Can't wait for driverless F1. Idiocy aside, what is the point of having a driverless RS7? Would be enough to have a smelly diesel or numb electric, if anyway you don't drive it, hence you won't even need to buy a premium, if the car is driverless. You only feel how the car drives when you drive it, not as a passenger. Well, that is where future heading, to assisted life. I'm sure handicapped would do everything to be free and not have to depend on other people/tech, but we fully abled people want to be assisted in everything we do, and then wonder why our brain shrinks, our skills decrease, why we overall get dumber and behave like robots without life and soul.

No hope in this world....
Appreciate 0