Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter tires 205/55/16

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SRT 392

Garage List
Winter tires 205/55/16

Hey guys so I'm preparing for winter already so I'm looking for winter tires, right know I'm between the bridgestone blizzak ws70 and the Michelin x-ice xi3. I wonder which one has better performance for a e90, I have all seasons atm and even though they work on the snow its not the best performance. So go ahead and throw some opinions/recommendations

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamPT View Post
Hey guys so I'm preparing for winter already so I'm looking for winter tires, right know I'm between the bridgestone blizzak ws70 and the Michelin x-ice xi3. I wonder which one has better performance for a e90, I have all seasons atm and even though they work on the snow its not the best performance. So go ahead and throw some opinions/recommendations
Those are both going to be extremely good on snow/ice. I've use xIce on a previous 330xi, and have performance Blizzaks on my current 335d. The difference between no-season tires and true snows is so large, the difference between those two will not be discernible unless you run back-to-back instrumented tests. Have you checked tirerack's reviews and feedback?

It's relatively easy to notice the difference between true snows and performance snows (mostly on dry roads), but between premium tires in the same class it's silly close.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Those are both going to be extremely good on snow/ice. I've use xIce on a previous 330xi, and have performance Blizzaks on my current 335d. The difference between no-season tires and true snows is so large, the difference between those two will not be discernible unless you run back-to-back instrumented tests. Have you checked tirerack's reviews and feedback?

It's relatively easy to notice the difference between true snows and performance snows (mostly on dry roads), but between premium tires in the same class it's silly close.
Thank you for your reply, and yes i read the reviews and the feedback, and apparently the michelin is better, but I'm not sure of the tires performance on an e90 vs the blizzak. I guess it makes no difference then.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Both are great choices. Between the two, the Michelin Xice Xi3 has a bit better dry road grip and quicker steering response while being just as good as the Blizzak WS-70 on packed snow and ice. In loose or deeper snow, the WS-70 has more traction.

You may want to check out the replacement tire for the old WS-70, which is the WS-80.

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...nter/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Both are great choices. Between the two, the Michelin Xice Xi3 has a bit better dry road grip and quicker steering response while being just as good as the Blizzak WS-70 on packed snow and ice. In loose or deeper snow, the WS-70 has more traction.

You may want to check out the replacement tire for the old WS-70, which is the WS-80.

Winter http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...nter/index.jsp
Thank you for your reply. So the ws80 is superior to the ws70 right? I drive a lot in deep snow and hills, i use my car everyday on winter. Last year i used my sailun atrezzo sh 402(no idea how good this brand is. The car came with those brand new to me) on every snow storm, i did get stuck here and there, but i was always able to get traction after a while. I don't want to go through that again lol i want good winter tires that won't leave me stuck here and there, I'm positive that if i have winter tires i won't have a problem. Since i only got stuck a couple times with all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Yes, given those driving conditions I would lean towards the WS-80.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Man I wish Tirerack carried the Nokians
Appreciate 0