E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > F1 - double points idea

12-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #23
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Is it April 1st already?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Ferrari have now come out against the rule; hence it's doomed. Thankfully
Bish
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
Drew10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM3DCT View Post
Dumbest rule I've ever heard. If anything they should implement the rule for the first race of the season.
Agree 100% If it has to be done, do it for the first race.
      12-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #26
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Bernie now wants double points for the last 3 races!
At least for the last 3 races is not as bad as just for the last race.
Towards the end of the season, teams that would have no mathematical chance of winning under the old system might still be in the game with the new....would keep the less dedicated viewers interested I suppose.
And its the same for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Personally I still against this concept of rewarding more points towards the end of season.

The principal of those teams better prepared in Winter were being penalized with less winning points during the season opening.
And rewarding the catching up ones with more points in the last three races.

(Pointless change for RBR in 2011 and 2013, since they've won it all anyways~ )

For example Team A won the first 5 races, and Team B won the last 3 races. The 9 races in between they both shared the same points, and Team A scored more podiums, and the score difference in the last three races is about 50 points or so. They've both done the great job at different stages of the season, but the one had done a better preparation and won more races won't win the championship because of this rule.

(OK, there might be flaws in this scenario, but I'm trying to paint the picture of how messed up this scoring system could end up.)

Quote:
Bernie Ecclestone wants Formula One's controversial double points rule to be rolled out over the final three races of the year or be dropped all together.

Earlier this month the FIA announced that next year's season finale in Abu Dhabi would be worth double points in order to increase the chances of the title going down to the wire. The rule has not gone down well with fans and earlier this week Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo predicted it would last just one year before being scrapped.

Ecclestone, however, says Formula One's strategy group (featuring representatives from the FIA, FOM, Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, Mercedes, Williams and Lotus) may choose to scrap the rule as early as January.

"Personally my preference would be for the final three races to be worth double points," Ecclestone told The Daily Telegraph. "But it may well be that the rule is cancelled altogether at the next [strategy group] meeting in January."

The rule was supported by television companies which suffered disappointing viewing figures at the end of the 2013 season dominated by Sebastian Vettel. Ecclestone thinks the final three races should award double points or none at all.

"I think it should be the final three races or nothing. The final three races would mean the championship is kept interesting for everyone - fans, press and television - right until the end."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/s...gHiy7foMUbc.99

Last edited by E90SLAM; 12-23-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #28
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

That is just silly. An interesting idea would be to divide the complete season into four sectors for example and offer some sort of points bonus for the points leader in that sector.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #29
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

f1 used to be in my blood and now I care more about why Amanda retired. the new points scheme is the least of f1 problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #30
tuj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Well think about the business aspect of the sport; they need to keep people attending races and if the championship is already decided halfway through the season, that could lead to less viewership and race attendance. Bernie is always thinking about the $$$....

I don't really like the idea either, although I also suspect that Vettel's dominance last year was not entirely due to his phenomenal driving....