E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Investing In A Dynojet...

01-02-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Cool Investing In A Dynojet...

lately i have been thinking about investing some of my money. i read an interesting article at barns and nobles in a magazine about investing in a dynojet and how it can benefit which gave me an idea.

if you get a dynojet, there is no need for you to own a shop. you can ask tuning shops for space, pay rent, and do your work there. you can even go to the the local oil change places or tire shops, speak with owner about renting space, etc.

like it stated in the magazine once you paid off the dynojet and that thing is yours thats where the real money starts comming. it all comes down to pricing and how you market yourself.

im thinking about the 424x with accessories such as anlog, boost, enviormental module for temp and humidity to run SAE, etc.

the only question i have that wasn't listed in the magazine is people don't dyno car everyday do they? can you really get that many people in the tristate area (mainly NY, NJ and part CT) to pay for it? are there so many evos, subies, bmw and car enthusiasts that are with the right price going to make appoints?

but i really thought about the magazine and it had some sucess stories as well. everyone agreed that after paid off its an amazing investement. most are now retired but still own the dynojet and are making money on the side.

im not saying im going to do this but i am looking into it. what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Call around to local performance shops with a dyno and ask about how much business they get......

But sounds like fun, regardless.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
How much for a dynojet? Like 30,000grand?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 02:48 AM   #4
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged e30 M3

about 90k for 4 wheel dynojet. About $50k for a two wheel dynojet. I have their pricelist so I can look it up the MSRP if you're interested.

I almost bought one on craigslist from a guy in MN closing his shop for $20k. We had issues with shipping and he sold it to someone local. I wanted to put it in my garage. I can make some money on the side. I also have a four post lift so I could also do repair, exhaust work, etc to make money on the side.

I'm currently looking for a TIG welder (econotig or better). My garage will someday be my minishop. When I retire, that's how i'll make some extra cash besides real estate income.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 02:51 AM   #5
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
about 90k for 4 wheel dynojet. About $50k for a two wheel dynojet. I have their pricelist so I can look it up the MSRP if you're interested.

I almost bought one on craigslist from a guy in MN closing his shop for $20k. We had issues with shipping and he sold it to someone local. I wanted to put it in my garage. I can make some money on the side. I also have a four post lift so I could also do repair, exhaust work, etc to make money on the side.

I'm currently looking for a TIG welder (econotig or better). My garage will someday be my minishop. When I retire, that's how i'll make some extra cash besides real estate income.

can you give me the pricing for the 424 and 424xlc2 model and pricing of accessories if you have? wow $50k? i thought dynojets were like 200k+ range. maybe i will hop on this shit.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 02:55 AM   #6
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by L~R~G nor cal View Post
How much for a dynojet? Like 30,000grand?
LOL a tad more than that .

When my friends opened up their shop about 6 months ago..they were looking to buy a used dyno from local shops who weren't doing so well business-wise, but no one wanted to sell. They ended up buying a brand new dyno (not dynojet, but another dyno with actual load so since they were going to use it to tune cars)...it was in the 6 figure range, (AWD dyno by the way).

To the OP, I honestly don't think this is a good idea just to have a dyno by itself, without an actual shop of your own. First off, I'm sure competition is very stiff in your area with other shops with in house dynos. And 2nd off, if you were to hold a dyno day, space may be very limited since you just own a tiny portion. And 3rd..it's going to be very rare to have a customer come in and pay you the $80 for 3 pulls or whatever you're going to charge and leave. Most often, when I see cars on the dyno...they are getting tested. Meaning they do a baseline dyno, go off and install some performance parts and dyno again. Or they do multiple dyno runs to tune the ECU.

You're not going to be getting customers everyday...that's what every shop wants), but it's not going to happen. And also, think about what happens if the shop you're leasing or renting from goes down under? That means that you will either have to move location as well or lease the entire facility yourself.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:17 AM   #7
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
LOL a tad more than that .

When my friends opened up their shop about 6 months ago..they were looking to buy a used dyno from local shops who weren't doing so well business-wise, but no one wanted to sell. They ended up buying a brand new dyno (not dynojet, but another dyno with actual load so since they were going to use it to tune cars)...it was in the 6 figure range, (AWD dyno by the way).

To the OP, I honestly don't think this is a good idea just to have a dyno by itself, without an actual shop of your own. First off, I'm sure competition is very stiff in your area with other shops with in house dynos. And 2nd off, if you were to hold a dyno day, space may be very limited since you just own a tiny portion. And 3rd..it's going to be very rare to have a customer come in and pay you the $80 for 3 pulls or whatever you're going to charge and leave. Most often, when I see cars on the dyno...they are getting tested. Meaning they do a baseline dyno, go off and install some performance parts and dyno again. Or they do multiple dyno runs to tune the ECU.

You're not going to be getting customers everyday...that's what every shop wants), but it's not going to happen. And also, think about what happens if the shop you're leasing or renting from goes down under? That means that you will either have to move location as well or lease the entire facility yourself.
Nicely well put. Like wj4 said, you're not going to get customers all the time, and even if you have customers lined up for a dyno meet, $80/3 pulls..., plus it takes time to do all three - to set up the car, strap it down, line up fans, unstrap, etc... Will take you over 600 customers to break even... not including labor (unless you do it yourself... but you gotta pay yourself a wage).

It makes sense for performance tuning companies to invest in one because it complements their business. They will use it to baseline cars, tune the cars, and re-dyno. I'd go that route... then you can have a wider customer base and you can add the pulls into the cost of the entire job.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:19 AM   #8
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
can you give me the pricing for the 424 and 424xlc2 model and pricing of accessories if you have? wow $50k? i thought dynojets were like 200k+ range. maybe i will hop on this shit.
424x = $60,000
424xlc2 = $79,995
AF monitor = $2995
optical rpm pickup = $300
Rotary four-post lift = $4500
Datalink for ob2 = $1500
Optical rpm pickup = $300
Eddy current load control = $15000
Thermocouple amp = $195

I want the 424xlc2, but will settle for a 248c on a 4 post lift .
Gary
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:20 AM   #9
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Are you thinking of buying for a business or just for a hobby reasons?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:21 AM   #10
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
424x = $60,000
424xlc2 = $79,995
AF monitor = $2995
optical rpm pickup = $300
Rotary four-post lift = $4500
Datalink for ob2 = $1500
Optical rpm pickup = $300
Eddy current load control = $15000
Thermocouple amp = $195

I want the 424xlc2, but will settle for a 248c on a 4 post lift .
Gary

Well... not surprised at the pricing... Retail prices, right?
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:27 AM   #11
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92phreak View Post

Well... not surprised at the pricing... Retail prices, right?
Right.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 05:21 AM   #12
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

there are many installer shops that have very large spaces without a dynojet. so isn't is possible if i work with the owner and work out some type of deal like i put the dynojet for them and the guys there can use it or something like that?

ps: thanks for the prices.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

i don't understand the op sometimes he wants to invest in a dynojet but yet he makes a thread about getting college financial aid help.....
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #14
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
i don't understand the op sometimes he wants to invest in a dynojet but yet he makes a thread about getting college financial aid help.....
lol true but financial aid i just needed to know when to reapply for it. thats all
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #15
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

It's going to take you 3-10 years for it to pay for itself. Add in about 16k in lost investment revenue to make it worse. After that sure you might start making good money. Maybe.
      01-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #16
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
there are many installer shops that have very large spaces without a dynojet. so isn't is possible if i work with the owner and work out some type of deal like i put the dynojet for them and the guys there can use it or something like that?

ps: thanks for the prices.
You can do that, but you will be at their mercy...they would probably want a decent chunk for rent and a decent cut of the money pulled in from the dyno. Why? because what do you really have to offer them? A dyno? As if they can't take out a $100,000 loan on their own and get one without you?

And to give you a more bigger picture...when getting a dyno, you probably would want to make it friendly for cars that are slammed so the best bet is to drill into the ground and lay the dyno in there so cars can just drive on and off...drilling=expensive. And you will need to get some type of insurance as well, for your 'shop'.

And if the shop doesn't already have some sort of ventilation installed, you would need to install some sort of vent to suck out the exhaust fume.

It appears as you are just a young teenager with a get rich quick scheme (no offense), my advice to you is that work on cars first, to see how you like it. Like stated, it's going to take a very very long time for the dyno to make you some money. To give you an example, I used to be really into cars, I was up for installs at 3AM and wake up at 6AM to go to school. I was up for whatever, but now that has died down a bit. I'm still into cars, but I'd prefer to keep it as a hobby. Doing it full time would kill it for me.

And the last thing that I'd like to say, most of the workers at these shops are not living the 'good life'. They make money..enough to live on, but they do it because it's their passion. If you're in it for the money, you need to open a shop that lures in the celebs and high profile clients. Charge them $10,000 for a set of luxury wheels, another $5,000 for custom interior, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #17
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
lately i have been thinking about investing some of my money. i read an interesting article at barns and nobles in a magazine about investing in a dynojet and how it can benefit which gave me an idea.

if you get a dynojet, there is no need for you to own a shop. you can ask tuning shops for space, pay rent, and do your work there. you can even go to the the local oil change places or tire shops, speak with owner about renting space, etc.

like it stated in the magazine once you paid off the dynojet and that thing is yours thats where the real money starts comming. it all comes down to pricing and how you market yourself.

im thinking about the 424x with accessories such as anlog, boost, enviormental module for temp and humidity to run SAE, etc.

the only question i have that wasn't listed in the magazine is people don't dyno car everyday do they? can you really get that many people in the tristate area (mainly NY, NJ and part CT) to pay for it? are there so many evos, subies, bmw and car enthusiasts that are with the right price going to make appoints?

but i really thought about the magazine and it had some sucess stories as well. everyone agreed that after paid off its an amazing investement. most are now retired but still own the dynojet and are making money on the side.

im not saying im going to do this but i am looking into it. what do you guys think?

you need to have a auto shop and place that allow you to have dyno machine. Dyno machine can be very loud .. your neighbor might not like it. YOu need to check with your city about it. They might not approve it. i tried to have my own shop back my garage. just a hydralic lift .. city of Alhambra did not approve my application

some people say it cost about 50K some people say it cost about 100K to install

here what it come with: on Model 224xLC Quick Features

PACKAGE INCLUDES Measures up to 1500 + hp and 200mph
Dynamometer Chassis (drums, shaft, bearings, etc.)
Eddy Current Load Absorption Unit, Torque Cell, and dynamic load control software. Perform loaded tests, including step, sweep, and wind drag simulation.
WinPEP7 Software and Hardware to interface (PC, printer, etc. not included)
Automatic Conditions Measurement (absolute pressure, air temp, humidity)
Ignition Wire Inductive Tachometer Pickup Leads
Auto Tie Down Package (straps, ratchets and ground hooks)
Wheel Chocks
Air Actuated Brake System
Remote Software and Brake Control From Driver's Seat
Installation, operation manuals and software tutorial
One year replacement parts warranty
      01-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #18
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
\Dyno machine can be very loud .. your neighbor might not like it. YOu need to check with your city about it. They might not approve it. i tried to have my own shop back my garage. just a hydralic lift .. city of Alhambra did not approve my application
One time, I was at AutoTalent and they were dyno'ing a Lotus Elise... Man, that thing was SOOO---> loud that Sam and I had to cover our ears and go back inside the office LOL... It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO loud that I can't even describe it!!!! Well, I tried describing it with the O's....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #19
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
One time, I was at AutoTalent and they were dyno'ing a Lotus Elise... Man, that thing was SOOO---> loud that Sam and I had to cover our ears and go back inside the office LOL... It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO loud that I can't even describe it!!!! Well, I tried describing it with the O's....
was it the time autotalent still in somewhere in torrance not in westwood right?
      01-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #20
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
was it the time autotalent still in somewhere in torrance not in westwood right?
Yup... they were in Marina Del Rey, in an area that was kind of industrial. Right now, where AutoTalent is located in West LA, it may be tough for them to get a permit for the dyno because directly behind them are apartments.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 02:01 AM   #21
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup... they were in Marina Del Rey, in an area that was kind of industrial. Right now, where AutoTalent is located in West LA, it may be tough for them to get a permit for the dyno because directly behind them are apartments.
yupe i was there when they first move in.. OMG so empty.. they need remodel their new place... But i have to give it to them. they have bigger place now. i dont think they will dyno any car unless they move to new place.. BY the way. it was used to be a masteriti shop.
      01-03-2008, 02:01 AM   #22
garyhgaryh
Major
United_States
Rep

You can lease/rent to own the dynos. It's a program offered by Dynojet if you are serious about it. But if you are a college student, i think this may be a terrible investment for you unless this its your life long dream.

To another poster about putting a lift in your garage: I never applied for a permit to put a lift in my garage. You talking about those underground hydraulic lifts?

Gary
Appreciate 0