E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) can make it impossible to speed

03-08-2024, 12:21 AM   #23
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
It would probably be more helpful if they just enforced laws on not texting and driving rather than speeding.
Well, they are enforcing the laws that exist...the speed limit laws, by the cheapest and most efficient means possible.

But what exactly do you mean by "enforce" the texting laws? How are they going to determine that someone was texting? Because they are holding their phone? How do you prove it? Does the fact that the phone sends data prove it? Phones send and receive data all the time, updating apps, mail, etc.

Do you outlaw those dip**** phone mounts that you see everyone using? It seems it's either that or some idiot HOLDING their phone and talking in a vehicle that very obviously has bluetooth phone connectivity where it's not even necessary.

So how exactly do you "enforce" this? Do you make it mandatory for phone companies to install software that shuts off the phone if it detects movement? What about if they are passengers, or on a train, plane or boat?

If there's a reasonable chance you aren't going to get caught, it doesn't really matter, there is effectively no enforcement. Because everyone has a phone in the car now and quite literally, "everyone is doing it", the cat is out of the bag. How do you get it back in? How do you prove the things I was saying above, you going to let the police pull your personal cell data, see your text messages and such? Even then it'd be hard to prove, since you'd need to show while a text was sent a vehicle was being operated, that comes down to the seconds of when a text was sent.

Given all of this, the thing that makes accidents worse is excessive speed, so they are going in the place that will have the most payoff for the effort.

I think there should be recurrent driving tests, not some BS written test every 15 years, but an actual driving test with standards and you have to actually stop at the stopsign/light, not 10 feet out in the intersection, you have to use your blinker, you have to set your mirrors correctly, and so on. But ARP would never stand for that and people think the are way better than they are, including the politicians. When it comes down to it, most people don't want this.

It's going to take a pretty radical solution at this time to get that cat back in the bag now and any way it's done, it's going to impact on "personal freedoms"...
      03-08-2024, 01:24 AM   #24
baron95
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

"Attention all residents, your Hawaiian beach town is being overrun by fire - evacuate at once as fast as you can" - Followed by a stream of cars driving slowly at the speed limit while the firestorm approaches.

News alert, news alert, news alert. Some teenagers have used a cheap Chinese GPS spoofer/jammer AND changed the speed limits signs on a stretch of Texas highway from 80MPH to 30MPH, causing vehicles to decelerate rapidly resulting in a massive pile up.

The headlines will be endless.

Me? I'd just tape over the speed limit recognition cameras in my car, and tin foil the GPS receiver.
      03-08-2024, 03:58 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Do you outlaw those dip**** phone mounts that you see everyone using? It seems it's either that or some idiot HOLDING their phone and talking in a vehicle that very obviously has bluetooth phone connectivity where it's not even necessary.
My favorite are the people who use a phone suction windshield mount when their car has big screen TV and Apple/Android car play.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1301.50
      03-08-2024, 06:01 AM   #26
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
It's a done deal in the EU so I guess we will see.

Speed ​​brakes in all new cars: ISA driving assistant mandatory from summer
2/7/2024
Speed ​​assistant ISA will be mandatory in July: How does the system work?
The system will be mandatory in all new cars in the European Union (EU) from July 7, 2024.
It warns the driver of excessive speed and is intended to ensure greater safety on the road.
Unlike some driving aids, the ISA cannot be switched off permanently.
The assistant has been mandatory for newer vehicle types since July 2022.
From July, a black box will also be mandatory in all new cars.
If the car detects a speed limit, the ISA adjusts the speed.

Thanks to traffic sign recognition via camera or GPS positioning (including comparison with current maps), the ISA always knows what speed is currently permitted.
Together with the cruise control and speed limiter, the driving assistant can adjust the speed.
Speed ​​assistant reduces speed: driver can overrule it
If the vehicle is too fast, ISA reduces engine power and gently brakes it until the permitted speed is reached.
If you still want to drive faster, you can do so by stepping on the gas or deactivating the system in the settings before each trip.
https://newsrnd.com/tech/2024-02-08-...JMUpH0Wjp.html

Sounds like a nightmare
Wow, the complete and utter destruction of the EU sportscar market in sight, crazy. Guess how long you'll be able to deactivate it? Sports car drivers better plan their next purchase carefully.

Last edited by Weather Man; 03-08-2024 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2024, 09:54 AM   #27
BlkGS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Well, they are enforcing the laws that exist...the speed limit laws, by the cheapest and most efficient means possible.

But what exactly do you mean by "enforce" the texting laws? How are they going to determine that someone was texting? Because they are holding their phone? How do you prove it? Does the fact that the phone sends data prove it? Phones send and receive data all the time, updating apps, mail, etc.

So how exactly do you "enforce" this? Do you make it mandatory for phone companies to install software that shuts off the phone if it detects movement? What about if they are passengers, or on a train, plane or boat?

If there's a reasonable chance you aren't going to get caught, it doesn't really matter, there is effectively no enforcement. Because everyone has a phone in the car now and quite literally, "everyone is doing it", the cat is out of the bag. How do you get it back in? How do you prove the things I was saying above, you going to let the police pull your personal cell data, see your text messages and such? Even then it'd be hard to prove, since you'd need to show while a text was sent a vehicle was being operated, that comes down to the seconds of when a text was sent.

Given all of this, the thing that makes accidents worse is excessive speed, so they are going in the place that will have the most payoff for the effort.

I think there should be recurrent driving tests, not some BS written test every 15 years, but an actual driving test with standards and you have to actually stop at the stopsign/light, not 10 feet out in the intersection, you have to use your blinker, you have to set your mirrors correctly, and so on. But ARP would never stand for that and people think the are way better than they are, including the politicians. When it comes down to it, most people don't want this.

It's going to take a pretty radical solution at this time to get that cat back in the bag now and any way it's done, it's going to impact on "personal freedoms"...
I think having phone locked above 10mph is a start. You're a passenger? Sucks. Use a tablet.

I'm for a much higher standard for driving tests. You should have to recertify annually for the first 5, and then every 5 years going forward. There should also be classes of licenses, broken up by vehicle size and performance. The requirements to move up should be a mix of education, experience, and driving ability. You don't get to give your 16 year old kid a 500hp car to start off with just because you have money. They would have had to be training and studying for it beforehand. If a kid turns 16 and has had verified experience racing go karts, doing car handling classes, etc, they put in the work understanding the physics of a car, fine. The same goes for mid life crisis Fred, just because "I've been driving longer than you've been alive" doesn't mean you know what you're doing and can handle a 500hp.spprts car.

It will never happen, sadly.
Appreciate 1
lakefront560.50
      03-10-2024, 10:27 AM   #28
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Great idea, which will also cost more money, you could sell it as saving emergency response money, but up front it would cost a lot more than the current system, so more taxes, and then selling it to people that would then have the chance of failing said tests and being banned from the road.

Most of out congress people are geriatric to start with…
Appreciate 0