E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 512 earthquake - no supporters on this forum

06-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #67
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
Are you linking to a crazed lunatic website to try to prove a point or just to show how ridiculous some people's belief's are? (Not that that thread is crazy, but the website overall is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #68
BMW!
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska View Post
Due....Taiwanese is just Chinese with a diff. accent
but yea...the RRRRRRRR is so country
I really cant stand the R
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #69
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
I know there're quite a few Chinese members here and I have yet to see a topic about the earthquake.
Did a search and found a thread showing no sympathy....pretty sad

If you don’t care that’s fine, but please don’t criticize the Chinese government and its people.

If you do care...please show your support, donate your mod money
I am Serbian and I donated to the Red Cross. There are plenty of non-Chinese people who are aware of the human tragedy and do care. Some people like to help without making a big scene about it. Take the Russians for exapmle they flew in dropped of tons of aid and never once critized the Chinese government.
      06-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #70
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I am Serbian and I donated to the Red Cross. There are plenty of non-Chinese people who are aware of the human tragedy and do care. Some people like to help without making a big scene about it. Take the Russians for exapmle they flew in dropped of tons of aid and never once critized the Chinese government.
no no..don't get me wrong when i just mention "Chinese"...
I was just suprsie on how some chinese-americans...etc dont even give a shit about their motherland.
and there were some people here just bashing on the chinese ppl/earthquake.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #71
fermion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

of course, the chinese government will try to paint the tibet invasion in the favorable light. will the chinese government, or any government for that matter, admit that they invaded a country for territorial gain and natural resources? the answer is no.

however, is this actually ever the truth? the answer is also no. it is pretty easy to draw parallels to the american invasion of iraq where the stated goal was to remove the WMD threat. now, the iraq war is being painted as bringing freedom and democracy to the iraqi people while the actual reason for the invasion was probably to increase american influence in the region. this was done in the 19th century as well when the european powers colonized the world under the guise helping save the "heathens".

so what is the difference then between china and the democratic free world people ask. the difference is the toleration of dissent. in china, people who have a different opinion than the official party line and are also brave enough to speak up are punished or branded as terrorists.

in the western world, toleration of dissent led to the decolonization of india and africa. today in the US, this same dissent is forcing us to rethink our flawed strategy in iraq and confront our mistakes. dissent opens up the possibility for change and better solutions.

i'm not going to argue anymore as this is rather off topic, but i think people should comtemplate the significance of the fact that in china, this discuss would not have been allowed to occur.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #72
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
how is it that the US invadtion of Iraq opens up the possibility for change and better solutions?
so when the americans invade another country...they're heros? LOL

Last edited by ska///235i; 06-02-2008 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #73
fermion
Private First Class
Rep

of course they're not heroes.

i think you misinterpreted what i said.

what i mean is that because dissent is allowed in america, people can protest against the war and point out to the people in power that the occupation of iraq is wrong. because dissent is allowed in america, the politicians in power must heed the voice of the people. this has led to strong factions within the government to advocate for a withdraw. thus, because we allow dissent, america can move away from its current flawed strategy in iraq towards seeking a better long term solution to the problem.

this is why in america, great disasters like Mao's great leapt forward can be avoided because people who disagree can speak up and have their voices heard.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #74
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thats because Americans DO dissent the war in Iraq, no Chinese dissent including Tibet in the chinese border.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 03:56 AM   #75
rdsport323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
Thats because Americans DO dissent the war in Iraq, no Chinese dissent including Tibet in the chinese border.
Think you misinterpreted him... He's saying that Americans have the right to protest and speak their minds on certain subjects like the war in IRAQ, whereas in China, since everything is censored, you don't have the freedom to voice your opinions and let it be heard on any subject or particular matter. That's why you don't hear much about Tibet, and everything you do hear is what China wants you to hear... (thats what Fermion is trying to say).

I know China censors its internet... it only lets you read or research what the government wants you to see... I'm sure any anti-China websites don't make it past the firewall. It would suck to not be able to access certain websites or blogs in order to gain a different perspective on things. Without the freedom to know the truth or find out the facts, or the freedom to make your own judgement or opinion, or the freedom to voice your thoughts or to make changes to the government... must kind of suck... But, I'm guessing it doesn't bother most people in China since they wouldn't know any better anyways. They were never taught or given the option to make changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #76
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
In what way does Taiwan's survival depend on the PRC? I would think that the PRC is the largest threat to their survival.

So, you are saying the PRC invaded, pillaged, and continues to oppress the Tibetans for their own good?
Pillaged?? They might have done that when china first became a republic, i'm not excusing them for that. But are they Pillaging tibet now? oppressing, give an example of how the chinese government oppresses tibet. They brought mass transit to tibet, and people see it as flooding the region with han population, rather than boosting the economy of the area. I dont know why you think china would try to oppress one of it's own proveniences, it's like saying the us wants to oppress Alaska.
The government isn't handling the situation very well, putting protesters into prison. But it is not pillaging. When i think of pillaged, i think of the vietcongs pillaging villages in vietnam. This is no where near that.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #77
Alpine335TT
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 M-Sport 335i

Quote:
I'm not here to argue politics and government. I was born in Hong Kong and don’t support communist in anyway, but denying your blood is just silly my friend.
Yea, you’re right…if your great grandparents left China to Africa…then you’re black…ahahahaha

If you stand as Taiwanese...thats great, value your country..but don't look down on other people.....at the end, you're still Chinese.

I'm going to call myself Americanese from now on ...or maybe hongkongese
+1

MISCHIEF.TV
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #78
Alpine335TT
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
Yes, after reading and watching from the mostly unbiased news from the some Western media and news from China. Just don't get your sh*t from CNN.

The Chinese are very friendly people. I've never met anyone who visited China and didn't like it. I'm talking about Americans and Canadians.
I grew up with lots negative thoughts with regard to China.. but visited 2 summers ago and loved it.. less all the poverty..

MISCHIEF.TV
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #79
Alpine335TT
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit523 View Post
hallo? if u dun want to donate or support this thread
and all u want to talk about is Taiwanese and Chinese, culture, government system and problems...."WE DUN FUCKING CARE....AND GET THE FUCK OUT OF THIS THREAD AND MAKE UR OWN THREAD"
:threadjacked ::thread jacked:: offtopic:: offtopic:
PS.. my family donated

MISCHIEF.TV
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #80
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermion View Post
of course they're not heroes.

i think you misinterpreted what i said.

what i mean is that because dissent is allowed in america, people can protest against the war and point out to the people in power that the occupation of iraq is wrong. because dissent is allowed in america, the politicians in power must heed the voice of the people. this has led to strong factions within the government to advocate for a withdraw. thus, because we allow dissent, america can move away from its current flawed strategy in iraq towards seeking a better long term solution to the problem.

this is why in america, great disasters like Mao's great leapt forward can be avoided because people who disagree can speak up and have their voices heard.
hmm, i seem to remember some collections of islands in the pacific that the US colonized and later made it part of our country. Isn't that invading, and how is that different from what's happening in tibet? The us flooded the Hawaiian islands with mainlanders that diluted the hawaiian heritage. Made sugar cane plantations which became their main source for income. I don't know, no one country is perfect, it's what they are trying to do in the present. And the Chinese government's response to this horrendous disaster shows us what they are made of.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #81
fermion
Private First Class
Rep

i don't know of any hawaiians getting throw in prison for protesting. i also don't know of any hawaiians having their religious rights limited. i think the situation is a little bit different.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #82
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
i don't know of any hawaiians getting throw in prison for protesting. i also don't know of any hawaiians having their religious rights limited. i think the situation is a little bit different.
What I heard was a bunch of Japanese Americans (many 3rd generation native born Americans IN HAWAII) got thrown in concentration camps for doing NOTHING but being Japanese. They had their human rights violated in the name of national security...ya i think the situation is pretty much the same shit...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:08 AM   #83
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Tibet has been a part of China since the imperial dynasties, definitely by Qing Dynasty, but could be earlier. UK invaded Tibet in the early 1900s and "freed" Tibet from China. Tibet has never been an independent country at all. People just don't get it.

By the way, I worked for the Hong Kong Red Cross and I donated to the HKRC relief fund.
      06-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #84
nyczyang27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0si / 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
without china, taiwan would crumble. End of story.
Please elaborate.

2007 Z4 3.0si Step/Premium/Xenon/HeatedSeats/AutoTop/M6Wheels
2007 328xi Step/Premium/Sport/Xenon
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 01:20 AM   #85
samwoo2go
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyczyang27 View Post
Please elaborate.
1) China is Taiwan's biggest trading partner.
2) Taiwan accounts for less than 5% of China's trade.
3) Taiwan is an island, they have very limited natural resources. They depend on China for a vast majority of raw materials including rocks believe it or not.
4) Taiwan could import raw material from other nations but China is the cloest "big raw material nation" to them geographicaly therefore cheapest cost.
5) Taiwan businesses have thousands of factories in China where if China refused these factories, majority of these businesses would fail.
6) Taiwan stock market ties in closely with Shanghai Index often mimiking its trends.
7) Cheap agricultral imports from China sustain the Taiwan food source, Taiwan domestic food production only account for 1.76 percent of GDP.
8) Taiwan could import food from else where, but will be more expansive, therefore lead to sharp increase to food prices and causes civil unrest.
9) China AND the US provided protection to Taiwan from foreign invasion due to fact that Taiwan is not yet fully capable of protecting themselves.
10) Taiwan NEED China to not shit on them so hard (in the case of declaration of independence) that everyone on the island will be drowning in shit...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #86
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Tibet has been a part of China since the imperial dynasties, definitely by Qing Dynasty, but could be earlier. UK invaded Tibet in the early 1900s and "freed" Tibet from China. Tibet has never been an independent country at all. People just don't get it.

By the way, I worked for the Hong Kong Red Cross and I donated to the HKRC relief fund.

so its Taiwan...since Ming Dynasty

Taiwanese is prbly 80% Fujian or Guangdong Chinese

minus the Gov. issues....you chiggas are chinese
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #87
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
hmm, i seem to remember some collections of islands in the pacific that the US colonized and later made it part of our country. Isn't that invading, and how is that different from what's happening in tibet? The us flooded the Hawaiian islands with mainlanders that diluted the hawaiian heritage. Made sugar cane plantations which became their main source for income. I don't know, no one country is perfect, it's what they are trying to do in the present. And the Chinese government's response to this horrendous disaster shows us what they are made of.
yea...
what about California...wasn't that the Mexicans
and now everyone complaining about the Mexicans crossing the border...man, its theirs to begin with

it's funny how ppl look at all Chinese as communist...thats like saying all Germans are Nazi
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #88
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
if this happened in the U.S. we would need alot more help then them...
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0