E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i 2009 Quick M Performance Exhaust Review

03-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible Montego Blue

335i 2009 Quick M Performance Exhaust Review

I have a 2009 E93 and got a Dinan S2 software update last year. The difference was night and day between stock and S2. After almost one year, last week, I got the BMW M Performance Exhaust installed.

I immediately noticed an increase in performance. I drove the exact same manner I usually drive and went from 93 octance to 91 octane since I am stuck in California for the time being. I drove the car for a couple of hours as I said before in the same manner I usually drive...and the wheels skidded much more than before the exhaust install. When I give it gas on the freeway, the S2 turbo "hitting the chest" phenomenon happens and pushes you into the seat, especially when you get higher and higher into the red line area.

I didn't expect to feel any difference and installed it to get a more aggressive sound, so this increase is a pleasant surprise. I was so pleased with the increase that I pulled the trigger and ordered a Dinan Cold Air Intake to be installed next week. I will come back with an update to report if there will be any additional noticeable increase in performance after the intake is installed.

I do not think that gains would be as noticeable if I did not have the Dinan S2 update so I would not be surprised if owners without the S2 installed the exhaust and did not see any gains. I have to guess that the secret to getting the most out of these mods like intake and exhaust is to have complimentary software to take advantage of all that freed up air.

Inside the car, sounds only a little louder at idle...barely noticeable, except for startup...you know it's not stock. The car seems more eager to jump forward with throttle. Highway sounds little bit louder but very comfortable, until you mash your foot and/or downshift...then the sound makes your face smile. Very addicting.

One complaint is the cheap looking tips. They just look cut off. But Akropovich tips are absurdly priced even though they look dope. Cyba tips look decent but don't know how much they are or if they will fit the 80mm tips. If anyone has bought aftermarket tips to use on their Performance Exhaust, please let me know which one.

Personally, I have to say, I should have added this exhaust on much sooner. That is how much I like it.

My 2¢. Happy Driving Everyone.

VT
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Nice, when the time comes think im a do PE too.
      03-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_enthusiast_1 View Post
Nice, when the time comes think im a do PE too.
You can get them for around $1149.00 with free shipping on ebay from out of state...I got mine from BMW of Newton somewhere in NJ. No tax and no shipping...can't beat that.

If I would've bought them from BMW of Beverly Hills, they would have been around 1150.00 or so plus tax...no way. I got them installed at BMW of Monrovia for $152...which was surprisingly cheaper than the local BMW shops I called for quotes. They ran from $175 to $230 at local shops. One shop even told me they don't install customer supplied parts...too bad for them.

Anyways, never order from BMW website. Just look online on ebay or tischer or google prices and order out of state with free shipping.

VT
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Yes, there is nothing like the PE exhaust sound. Happy motoring

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Congrats! Been running the PE for a while now, n love it more everyday...get some downpipes if you want it to sound a little more aggressive.

Congrats on the Dinan intake, I love mine too
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give_Em_The_DD View Post
Congrats! Been running the PE for a while now, n love it more everyday...get some downpipes if you want it to sound a little more aggressive.

Dope! So did you notice any difference after intake installation? Which Stage do you have installed? 1,2, or 3?

I am curious as to what I should expect after the Dinan intake installation with the s2.

VT
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by matreyia
Quote:

Dope! So did you notice any difference after intake installation? Which Stage do you have installed? 1,2, or 3?

I am curious as to what I should expect after the Dinan intake installation with the s2.

VT
I love the intake.

I opted to not go the Dinan flash route, instead went with a custom eTune through jake @ PTF.

My experience may be a bit different, but with my PE I felt performance wise it was negligible, but the sound made it worth it. To my understanding, our exhausts aren't too restrictive to begin with regardless of PE/stock, and being just an axel back.

Although the intake is a sealed box, when I got up in the rpm range I was able to hear the turbos a bit more, and it did feel like it was enjoying the denser, colder air.

I also have the Dinan fmic + cp-e downpipes. Those made the biggest differences in combo with the tune in my honest opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I love the intake.

I opted to not go the Dinan flash route, instead went with a custom eTune through jake @ PTF.

My experience may be a bit different, but with my PE I felt performance wise it was negligible, but the sound made it worth it. To my understanding, our exhausts aren't too restrictive to begin with regardless of PE/stock, and being just an axel back.

Although the intake is a sealed box, when I got up in the rpm range I was able to hear the turbos a bit more, and it did feel like it was enjoying the denser, colder air.

I also have the Dinan fmic + cp-e downpipes. Those made the biggest differences in combo with the tune in my honest opinion.

So you are getting me primed to get that dinan intercooler!! hot damn!

VT
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Frenk
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i X-Drive M-Sport

PE is night and day on 328 also
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 01:00 AM   #10
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep

Here is the installation "pre-re-assemble the car back to one piece phase". Some interesting details that I have not seen posted in forums. Overall, a very good product. And it totally works as advertised. The intake works awesome with the Dinan S2 and Performance exhaust.

Appreciate 0