E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > PlayStation Now powered by gaikai

01-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
steveMizdaman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335ix M Sport

PlayStation Now powered by gaikai

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/...laystation-now

This will be bigggg for Sony and a possible game changer, if all goes well with it. But whatever the cost is, I am sold on it and want in.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I definitely like the idea. I'm curious how much it will cost though, and if picture quality will be affected by the fact that you're streaming the entire game.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
steveMizdaman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune sama View Post
I definitely like the idea. I'm curious how much it will cost though, and if picture quality will be affected by the fact that you're streaming the entire game.
I am curious too...they will also have a rent fee also I believe if you do not have the subscription. My opinion is at least $100 for yr. Ps plus is $50 for a yr and that gives you multiplayer and ps store discounts. So for an entire library of all playstation games back from ps one up to ps3! They can't make it a crazy price that will scare customers off but I think its worth $100-$200 a yr and I would be a loyal subscriber at that price range.

Sony said you need only 5mbps connection to stream at 720p for when its released over the summer. 1080p will come later and probably require little faster speeds.

They said there are very minor picture glitches on bigger tvs VS the same game on a ps vita.( the last of us the picture glitch wasnt noticeable at all on vita due to size of the screen)

And the fact Sony went out of the box for the first time, they said they are working with other brand Tvs not just their new bravia tv's, to bring PlayStation Now to all tvs, basically like netflix. Sony was always just for Sony products. Now any smartphone any tablet and hopefully most new 4k tvs will support the service.

Sony
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

I'm with you, without knowing the price, I'm intrigued but if they don't price it right they will scare off a good amount of their customers. Given that more and more people have access to high speed internet this could catch on, but Sony shouldn't forget about the markets that don't have access to high speed all the time. I'm thinking people like soldiers that just want to be able to play some halo or CoD while they are on base.

If they can get this to a point that they will make games downloadable so you can also play them offline (even if it's only a set amount of time before you need to get back on the internet), I'm in.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveMizdaman View Post
I am curious too...they will also have a rent fee also I believe if you do not have the subscription. My opinion is at least $100 for yr. Ps plus is $50 for a yr and that gives you multiplayer and ps store discounts. So for an entire library of all playstation games back from ps one up to ps3! They can't make it a crazy price that will scare customers off but I think its worth $100-$200 a yr and I would be a loyal subscriber at that price range.

Sony said you need only 5mbps connection to stream at 720p for when its released over the summer. 1080p will come later and probably require little faster speeds.

They said there are very minor picture glitches on bigger tvs VS the same game on a ps vita.( the last of us the picture glitch wasnt noticeable at all on vita due to size of the screen)

And the fact Sony went out of the box for the first time, they said they are working with other brand Tvs not just their new bravia tv's, to bring PlayStation Now to all tvs, basically like netflix. Sony was always just for Sony products. Now any smartphone any tablet and hopefully most new 4k tvs will support the service.

Sony
Ah okay. Another thing is, for multiplayer games at least, is how fast of an Internet connection you would need to not only stream the game, but to also compete in a multiplayer session as well. I'm assuming that the 5 mbps is the minimum for the whole experience.

I could see myself paying about $100/year for the subscription, that's not too bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
steveMizdaman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
I'm with you, without knowing the price, I'm intrigued but if they don't price it right they will scare off a good amount of their customers. Given that more and more people have access to high speed internet this could catch on, but Sony shouldn't forget about the markets that don't have access to high speed all the time. I'm thinking people like soldiers that just want to be able to play some halo or CoD while they are on base.

If they can get this to a point that they will make games downloadable so you can also play them offline (even if it's only a set amount of time before you need to get back on the internet), I'm in.
it is actually very hard to price a service like this. And im sure they did research and probably found that a good amount of people are running on at least 5mbps I mean that's probably like the new 56.6k dial up speed lol well at least for me. I had 25mbps for at least 10 yrs but about a year ago I boosted to 50mbps D/L and 30mbps U/L. Best $10 a month I've spent lol might actually go $10 more a month for 75mbps dl and 45mbps u/l. After that it starts getting more expensive.

and you brought up a good point with ability to play offline. But I guess that's not the point in a stream/cloud service so I doubt they would do that, but anything is possible
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
steveMizdaman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah okay. Another thing is, for multiplayer games at least, is how fast of an Internet connection you would need to not only stream the game, but to also compete in a multiplayer session as well. I'm assuming that the 5 mbps is the minimum for the whole experience.

I could see myself paying about $100/year for the subscription, that's not too bad.
Yes the 5mbps would be the entire package of streaming the game for single player campaign or multiplayer. But I am not too sure if I would really get into multiplayer games from streaming. I mean there is bad lag and what not from playing actual disc based games imagine streaming combined with playing multiplayer, I don't know but to me that seems like a recipe for a lag feast.

Just think what you will have access to, ability to play all these games from start to finish, games you never bought but wanted to play, games you loved and can play again, all by simply having the subscription. Like I said before, that is hard to put a price tag on. For me they can price that at $200+ a yr, me being a serious gamer for 20 yrs that is worth every penny. Satellite radio for a year is like $200 plus I believe with access on your computer and phone. So good luck Sony on pricing that just right lol
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
it is actually very hard to price a service like this. And im sure they did research and probably found that a good amount of people are running on at least 5mbps I mean that's probably like the new 56.6k dial up speed lol well at least for me. I had 25mbps for at least 10 yrs but about a year ago I boosted to 50mbps D/L and 30mbps U/L. Best $10 a month I've spent lol might actually go $10 more a month for 75mbps dl and 45mbps u/l. After that it starts getting more expensive.

and you brought up a good point with ability to play offline. But I guess that's not the point in a stream/cloud service so I doubt they would do that, but anything is possible
I agree, in most of the developed world (which is most of their market) everybody has high speed for the most part. I agree with you on high speed, though everything seems slow now that I have experienced Google Fiber. I want GigE to my other houses now.

I'm sure they will tell those who want to play online that they will need to continue to buy the PSX for those services and can use the streaming service on that when they are able to find an internet source.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes the 5mbps would be the entire package of streaming the game for single player campaign or multiplayer. But I am not too sure if I would really get into multiplayer games from streaming. I mean there is bad lag and what not from playing actual disc based games imagine streaming combined with playing multiplayer, I don't know but to me that seems like a recipe for a lag feast.

Just think what you will have access to, ability to play all these games from start to finish, games you never bought but wanted to play, games you loved and can play again, all by simply having the subscription. Like I said before, that is hard to put a price tag on. For me they can price that at $200+ a yr, me being a serious gamer for 20 yrs that is worth every penny. Satellite radio for a year is like $200 plus I believe with access on your computer and phone. So good luck Sony on pricing that just right lol
I think a major selling point would be same day streaming for new games, especially for major titles. I think it cut down a lot on crowds of people waiting outside stores at midnight for games (considering that there isn't a special edition that would be worth buying).
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #10
steveMizdaman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree, in most of the developed world (which is most of their market) everybody has high speed for the most part. I agree with you on high speed, though everything seems slow now that I have experienced Google Fiber. I want GigE to my other houses now.

I'm sure they will tell those who want to play online that they will need to continue to buy the PSX for those services and can use the streaming service on that when they are able to find an internet source.
how is the google fiber? like a gagillion gigs fast?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #11
steveMizdaman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think a major selling point would be same day streaming for new games, especially for major titles. I think it cut down a lot on crowds of people waiting outside stores at midnight for games (considering that there isn't a special edition that would be worth buying).
good idea but me personally for new games, id still rather play disc games...the main reason being the streaming way will slightly lose detail. If its a brand new PS4 game like infamous for example, I don't want any slight change or decrease in graphics and gameplay but if its an old ps2 or ps3 game ill live with slight change in graphics due to the fact its streaming. You know what Im saying?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #12
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
how is the google fiber? like a gagillion gigs fast?
Gig up and down. I have no complaints except I can't get it in the states I spend more of my time. Plus, for how much they actually charge for their service, I would love to be able to get it everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #13
steveMizdaman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Gig up and down. I have no complaints except I can't get it in the states I spend more of my time. Plus, for how much they actually charge for their service, I would love to be able to get it everywhere.
that is fast man. im over here talking how great 50mbs is and I would like to go to 75mbs and you have a gig down and up lol. what does that cost if you don't mind me asking? And I thought It was available in like the mid west somewhere lol. no pun intended haha
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #14
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
that is fast man. im over here talking how great 50mbs is and I would like to go to 75mbs and you have a gig down and up lol. what does that cost if you don't mind me asking? And I thought It was available in like the mid west somewhere lol. no pun intended haha
I get TV with all the movie channels and the internet for $160 a month. I can't complain about that price for what I'm actually getting.

You are only able to get it in Kansas City MO and KS and Provo, UT at the moment. They are also talking about moving in to the Austin market but are just in the building stages of that at the moment. Because of CLEC and ILEC dealings, they have a lot of issues that they deal with trying to get into new/more markets.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #15
steveMizdaman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I get TV with all the movie channels and the internet for $160 a month. I can't complain about that price for what I'm actually getting.

You are only able to get it in Kansas City MO and KS and Provo, UT at the moment. They are also talking about moving in to the Austin market but are just in the building stages of that at the moment. Because of CLEC and ILEC dealings, they have a lot of issues that they deal with trying to get into new/more markets.
wow that is amazing price, yes that's right, I remember seeing Kansas City now. Wish that would come to NY
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 11:27 PM   #16
MidwestGolfBum
North Korea
Rep

Quote:
wow that is amazing price, yes that's right, I remember seeing Kansas City now. Wish that would come to NY
Yeah, I would love to be able to get that in most places and at that price. I know there have been a few others that have been fairly upset about the fact that Google came in and started selling blazing fast speeds for next to nothing when everybody else is charging more and more for mediocre speeds that they give out.
Appreciate 0