E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Choosing the right processor

12-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Choosing the right processor

It almost seems as if choosing the proper processor is one of the most important factors when it comes to the purchase of my laptop. I am a computer noobie when it comes to processors. I was wondering if anyone who is knowledgable with processors can help me choose some processors that would suit me. Right now I have a HP G62 Notebook with the Intel i5 M430 processor. Just like any human, my laptop is getting old & tired. And It's time for a new one.

I use my laptop 99% for internet purposes. No gaming whatsoever. All internet. For example, I'll have the google map broswer open as well as 4 or 5 other folders from various websites all open at the same time. When I use google maps I want the time it takes between going from the satellite view to the street view of whatever I'm looking at to take place within seconds, not 12 seconds, but like 3 seconds. I might have microsoft word or excel up at the same time. I hope my description of how I use my laptop is good enough. I am thinking the Intel i7 processor would be good. I'm just not sure which one, as there are 15+ to choose from. Maybe it doesn't even matter for me? Maybe 1 or 2 suggestions - one where the price is no budget and another where price/value somewhat lineup with each-other. Or intel is not even the right one for me? AMD? Help!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

Sounds to me as though you really just need to clean up your computer of programs running in the background that you just don't use. This is something typical that hampers all computers over time. When's the last time that you defragged the hard drive? Do you have antivirus software or some other type of software that has a optimization utility like say Norton? Quite honestly, for what you use it for, you don't really need a new computer, just a good cleaning. The Intel i5 is a decent processor.
      01-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

I agree. For your use, i5 should be nailing it hard. Probably slow hard drive or not enough memory.

If you're content on getting a new computer anyway, maybe its time to restore your laptop to factory image so it's back what it's like out of the box. Will probably be plenty fast.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

For those type of things, processor will probably be the least of your worries.

For google maps, maybe you need faster internet??
For application performance, try installing an SSD or increasing the RAM.

I upgraded my moms 2008 macbook to a 128i gig SSD and 8 gigs of Ram (she had 250 5,400 rpm HD and 2 gigs of ram) and now her laptop pretty much boots up instantly
      01-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Cool, thanks guys. So i5 should be plenty. I'll make sure the pc has plenty of RAM.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
The SSD allows for faster access to data (i.e. programs on the drive, startup for windows, etc). The RAM and processor are more for multitasking and are more involved in the actual performance of various programs when running.

What is your OS and how much RAM does the laptop have? I'd agree with others that your system is probably bogged down with unnecessary software. Do you have anti-virus and/or anti-malware software? If you use it for mostly web browsing, there is a chance you have some spyware/malware or maybe a virus hogging resources.

Scan your PC, clean it up, then use disk defrag, delete some unused programs and features, then see how it runs. If it's still sluggish, it may be time for an upgrade, but I don't think the SSD will really help you that much. Likely the only difference you will see is that Windows loads almost instantly on startup. Not to mention, SSD's are expensive...
      01-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
The SSD allows for faster access to data (i.e. programs on the drive, startup for windows, etc). The RAM and processor are more for multitasking and are more involved in the actual performance of various programs when running.

What is your OS and how much RAM does the laptop have? I'd agree with others that your system is probably bogged down with unnecessary software. Do you have anti-virus and/or anti-malware software? If you use it for mostly web browsing, there is a chance you have some spyware/malware or maybe a virus hogging resources.

Scan your PC, clean it up, then use disk defrag, delete some unused programs and features, then see how it runs. If it's still sluggish, it may be time for an upgrade, but I don't think the SSD will really help you that much. Likely the only difference you will see is that Windows loads almost instantly on startup. Not to mention, SSD's are expensive...

Windows 7, 4GB. I've always used Kaspersky, using Internet Sec 2013 and it seems to work great. I hardly download any programs and/or software. I haven't defragged for a long long time, and you're right I should do that right now. And I haven't scanned Kaspersky for a long time too, and I'm doing that now.

The fans / motor is always running on this thing, running loud loud. Heat also also being generated on the palms of my hands, coming from the pc. One website where my pc struggles is Nike.com. It stops and pauses big time when it tries to load more info on a page as I'm scrolling down.

I'm scanning now, will degrag later and see if I can clean anything else up after. I'll report back.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmer View Post
Windows 7, 4GB. I've always used Kaspersky, using Internet Sec 2013 and it seems to work great. I hardly download any programs and/or software. I haven't defragged for a long long time, and you're right I should do that right now. And I haven't scanned Kaspersky for a long time too, and I'm doing that now.

The fans / motor is always running on this thing, running loud loud. Heat also also being generated on the palms of my hands, coming from the pc. One website where my pc struggles is Nike.com. It stops and pauses big time when it tries to load more info on a page as I'm scrolling down.

I'm scanning now, will degrag later and see if I can clean anything else up after. I'll report back.
I scanned with Kaspersky, nothing found so that's good. Defragged the C Drive. Deleted a few programs and cleaned some files out. Cleaned out temp files and cookies. Rebooted. Went back Nike. Truthfully it does work better, runs a decent amount smoother. I think in the end I'll still want to buy a new pc. But what I did today definitely gave me a little more 'running time' on this pc which is perfectly fine with me. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmer View Post
I scanned with Kaspersky, nothing found so that's good. Defragged the C Drive. Deleted a few programs and cleaned some files out. Cleaned out temp files and cookies. Rebooted. Went back Nike. Truthfully it does work better, runs a decent amount smoother. I think in the end I'll still want to buy a new pc. But what I did today definitely gave me a little more 'running time' on this pc which is perfectly fine with me. Thanks again.
Heat is a killer. Dust collects on fans and heatsinks like crazy and render them almost useless. You may want to take an electronics brush and maybe some canned air and take the case apart and clean it.

RAM might be your problem honestly, as Windows 7 64-bit requires 2 GB of RAM to run alone. I have seen people say on posts online that things will run sluggish on a PC with Windows 7 and 4 or less GB of RAM. You're only allowing yourself roughly 2 GB for use. You may want to upgrade to 6 or 8 GB of RAM. RAM is cheap and relatively easy to figure out.

If you don't really install anything or run any programs, you can always do a total wipe (back up anything you want to keep onto a flash drive or something). It sounds scary, but it will help your system run better probably.
      01-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

If I ever feel that a PC is running slow, I completely re-do it from scratch. I'll DBAN the whole thing, then install the OS, etc. etc. You won't believe how much faster your computer will be. Probably a bit faster than when you first received it from the manufacturer since it will be void of bloatware...

Here are the DBAN instructions:

https://www.it.cornell.edu/security/...tices/dban.cfm
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #11
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Just image your computer with a new ssd and maybe pop in some more ram and youll notice the speed instantly.

You're local, I could help if you wish.
      02-17-2014, 01:16 AM   #12
jersmith
Rep
Drives: My car looks Black beauty B-)

I just read about AMD's Kaveri processor architecture..i think it's monster proccy and Intel is just a baby infront of that processor..
Appreciate 0