E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > A new affordable watch - Zelos (~$380+)

03-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

A new affordable watch - Zelos (~$380+)

Came across this today on a different site. I'm just copying and pasting here because I think they look cool and I don't feel like taking the time to rewrite it myself.

I do think the watches are going to be quite reliable as they have Miyota (Citizen) movements inside. It also seems like a pretty good value as the watches come with three straps: black, tan and black NATO-style.

Reposted content follows.

All the best.

My name is Elshan and I’m proud to announce the launch of my new microbrand, Zelos!

Quick links:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...omatic-watches

www.facebook.com/zeloswatches
Instagram

If anyone might be wondering, Zelos meaning zeal in Greek which expresses my passion for watches just like you guys. Hence I decided to take the scary plunge to join the slightly crowded ranks of microbrands out there.

The debut model is the Helmsman, named for its nautical links with its bronze case and ship deck inspired dial.

I’m sure the specs are crucial in deciding on the purchase, so I’ll just cut the marketing speak and go straight to it

43mm Diameter, 14.2mm height, 52mm Lug to lug
Case in Bronze CuSn8 or Stainless steel 316L
Sandblasted, brushed and polished
Miyota 9015
Sapphire crystal front and back
100m WR
Internal divers bezel
DLC coated bezel (on certain models)
Engraved logo on crown, buckle and rotor
Multi Level Dial
C3 Superluminova
1 Year international warranty

Individually numbered 1-50 for each variant

THREE straps included, plus leather watch roll
-Brown Vintage 4mm thick
-Black 4mm thick
-Black Nato
**PVD rotor if Kickstarter target is met

Prices start at around $420CAD or 380USD for the steel models which are a discount off retail. This price is only for our early supporters as our way of saying thanks!

What you will receive

BRONZE Left to Right: Black, Brown, Grey, Green

STEEL Left to Right: Black, Brown, Grey, Green

BRONZE with DLC Bezel : Black, Brown

Each watch arrives in this leather roll and with THREE straps.
Strap stitching will be reduced in thickness, more photos to come!

How to order

Head over to the link above to visit our Kickstarter page. Once pledged, visit our website to reserve your preferred dial color and serial number at Zelos Watches – Welcome

If you might be particular about the number, you could reserve it before pledging to avoid disappointment. Do note that it will only be held for a day before it becomes available again if no pledge is made.
I will be updating the Kickstarter campaign if any of the colors are sold out!

Full production will finish by late April so expect it to reach by early May!

Giveaway
As a way to give back to F71, I will be offering one Helmsman completely FREE to a lucky member.

All you need to do is reply to this thread mentioning your favourite case/dial combination and you could win it!

Drawing and announcement of winner will be done on the 22nd of March so do get your entries in before that! Multiple entries will not be accepted If the preferred combination is out of stock, the winner will have the option of any other available variant.

If you have pledged already, no worries! I will contact you to have your money refunded while having the exact number you want.

FAQ
Q: Why are the crowns and caseback made in steel not bronze to match?
A: When in contact with the skin, bronze may leave green traces of non-toxic oxide on the wearer which could be unsightly, hence the steel caseback. Also, with the fine tolerances required for a screw down crown, having patina or oxide buildup within the threads might affect its operation.

Q: What happens to our money if the Kickstarter campaign doesn’t reach funding?
A: We are confident in you guys not to let this happen But in the worst case scenario, all funds will be returned to our backers.

Q: What plans are in store for Zelos?
A: Another model is already lined up with the design complete and in the process of prototyping. Expect to hear about it soon and I can promise it will be something totally unique!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Did you pledge for one of these Tony? I think I'm going to get one too.

I'm leaning towards Stainless but it's hard not to get the Bronze, which has so much character and would make it much more unique.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
jspdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Came across this today on a different site. I'm just copying and pasting here because I think they look cool and I don't feel like taking the time to rewrite it myself.

I do think the watches are going to be quite reliable as they have Miyota (Citizen) movements inside. It also seems like a pretty good value as the watches come with three straps: black, tan and black NATO-style.

Reposted content follows.

All the best.

My name is Elshan and I’m proud to announce the launch of my new microbrand, Zelos!

Quick links:

www.facebook.com/zeloswatches
Instagram

If anyone might be wondering, Zelos meaning zeal in Greek which expresses my passion for watches just like you guys. Hence I decided to take the scary plunge to join the slightly crowded ranks of microbrands out there.

The debut model is the Helmsman, named for its nautical links with its bronze case and ship deck inspired dial.

I’m sure the specs are crucial in deciding on the purchase, so I’ll just cut the marketing speak and go straight to it

43mm Diameter, 14.2mm height, 52mm Lug to lug
Case in Bronze CuSn8 or Stainless steel 316L
Sandblasted, brushed and polished
Miyota 9015
Sapphire crystal front and back
100m WR
Internal divers bezel
DLC coated bezel (on certain models)
Engraved logo on crown, buckle and rotor
Multi Level Dial
C3 Superluminova
1 Year international warranty

Individually numbered 1-50 for each variant

THREE straps included, plus leather watch roll
-Brown Vintage 4mm thick
-Black 4mm thick
-Black Nato
**PVD rotor if Kickstarter target is met

Prices start at around $420CAD or 380USD for the steel models which are a discount off retail. This price is only for our early supporters as our way of saying thanks!

What you will receive

BRONZE Left to Right: Black, Brown, Grey, Green

STEEL Left to Right: Black, Brown, Grey, Green

BRONZE with DLC Bezel : Black, Brown

Each watch arrives in this leather roll and with THREE straps.
Strap stitching will be reduced in thickness, more photos to come!

How to order

Head over to the link above to visit our Kickstarter page. Once pledged, visit our website to reserve your preferred dial color and serial number at Zelos Watches – Welcome

If you might be particular about the number, you could reserve it before pledging to avoid disappointment. Do note that it will only be held for a day before it becomes available again if no pledge is made.
I will be updating the Kickstarter campaign if any of the colors are sold out!

Full production will finish by late April so expect it to reach by early May!

Giveaway
As a way to give back to F71, I will be offering one Helmsman completely FREE to a lucky member.

All you need to do is reply to this thread mentioning your favourite case/dial combination and you could win it!

Drawing and announcement of winner will be done on the 22nd of March so do get your entries in before that! Multiple entries will not be accepted If the preferred combination is out of stock, the winner will have the option of any other available variant.

If you have pledged already, no worries! I will contact you to have your money refunded while having the exact number you want.

FAQ
Q: Why are the crowns and caseback made in steel not bronze to match?
A: When in contact with the skin, bronze may leave green traces of non-toxic oxide on the wearer which could be unsightly, hence the steel caseback. Also, with the fine tolerances required for a screw down crown, having patina or oxide buildup within the threads might affect its operation.

Q: What happens to our money if the Kickstarter campaign doesn’t reach funding?
A: We are confident in you guys not to let this happen But in the worst case scenario, all funds will be returned to our backers.

Q: What plans are in store for Zelos?
A: Another model is already lined up with the design complete and in the process of prototyping. Expect to hear about it soon and I can promise it will be something totally unique!
Most of your posts are about watches... Are you on watches forum too?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspdr View Post
Most of your posts are about watches... Are you on watches forum too?
Well, most of my posts are about watches because I bought my E92 new and here seven years later, I don't really have anything new to add to the discussion of that model of BMW. Pretty much everything that needs to be said has been said.

Since it appears BMW folks have a passing interest in watches I like to discuss them here with folks who are generally more open minded than are the folks on some of the watch forums. One or two of the watch sites have memberships comprised of genuinely knowledgeable folks. That's where I post specific questions/look for answers about watches.

The largest one is loaded with folks who rather than being are more consumerists and who have guzzled "the kool-aid" than they are objective collectors who understand the multiple dimensions/factors affecting the watch industry and the hobby of collecting. I participate there because it's entertaining. There are some sensible folks there too, but not nearly as many as elsewhere.

As a result, the discussion here is actually more interesting in that folks here are (as a group) more thoughtful and less biased than are the folks on that other site. I know that's not how it's supposed to work, but that's what the content one sees suggests. Of course, there are "dogma zealots" here too, but even they seem far more well grounded than the ones on that watch forum. We have the same sort of members here too. Perhaps this will help explain what I mean.
  • "Dogma Zealot" = BMW Fan Boy who thinks BMW make the best car in the world and will never waver from that opinion, despite there being objective evidence that there are cars that are better than BMW in many ways.
  • Enthusiast/Collector = BMW Fan who sees BMW as an excellent car, but recognizes and accepts that there are pros and cons associated with them and is keen to give other cars the appropriate credit, regardless of price, brand name and/or other intangible factors.
All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Did you pledge for one of these Tony? I think I'm going to get one too.

I'm leaning towards Stainless but it's hard not to get the Bronze, which has so much character and would make it much more unique.
No, I didn't. It's not that I didn't want to. It's that with over 40 watches, I need to be less liberal about just buying things that come my way.

I posted that here because it seems like a nice watch at a sensible price and that looks just a touch different from the stuff one'll find at the local mall. That strikes me as the sort of thing most folks here appreciate and getting in on the deal before the price jumps up also strikes me as something folks here may like.

I would have chosen the bronze one.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No, I didn't. It's not that I didn't want to. It's that with over 40 watches, I need to be less liberal about just buying things that come my way.

I posted that here because it seems like a nice watch at a sensible price and that looks just a touch different from the stuff one'll find at the local mall. That strikes me as the sort of thing most folks here appreciate and getting in on the deal before the price jumps up also strikes me as something folks here may like.

I would have chosen the bronze one.

All the best.
I decided to go with silver. I went with black for the passages watch, and I don't really have a bright silver watch yet. Too many dark watches.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #7
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I decided to go with silver. I went with black for the passages watch, and I don't really have a bright silver watch yet. Too many dark watches.
All those Zelos look nice.

You like the "get in early" watch deals, don't you?

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
All those Zelos look nice.

You like the "get in early" watch deals, don't you?

All the best.
So far, yes.

If you see any other cool or unique automatic watches for less than $500, keep sending them my way!

Or any really good used watch deals as well. Might be interested.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Stretch Goal #1 UNLOCKED!
0 comments Like 1 like
Amazing support from every single one of you! Stretch goal #1 has been unlocked and all watches will come upgraded with this rotor for the movement. Do check out the actual movement pictures below!

Stay tuned for the next update to unveil stretch goal #2!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stretch Goal #1 UNLOCKED!
0 comments Like 1 like
Amazing support from every single one of you! Stretch goal #1 has been unlocked and all watches will come upgraded with this rotor for the movement. Do check out the actual movement pictures below!

Stay tuned for the next update to unveil stretch goal #2!
Kudos to Zelos. I applaud them for not removing the Miyota name from their movement. It's rare that a watch company will butt heads with the current industry trend of doing as much as they can to hide the fact that their movement isn't something they made on their own.

I'm a huge fan of complete disclosure. I think that's the right thing for consumers and I think that when a company uses a good quality purchased movement as Zelos do, they have no reason to hide that fact.

All the best.

EDIT:
I know you know I like the Zelos watch plenty to begin with. I wouldn't have started the thread if I didn't. <winks>

Last edited by tony20009; 03-12-2014 at 02:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

A few more updates. They are now including a wooden box (along with the leather roll). It will come in the brown shown in the color swatch. People have already complained about the logo being too faint so they are going to bold it up a bit to contrast against the brown.

They also provided a picture of the included warranty card.

On top of that, offered to chemically age the bronze to add a nice patina right out of the box, for those that want it, at no charge. They also struck a deal with Kain Heritage to provide some of his really nice straps at a discounted price. Few examples.

3 days left. Updates can be found here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-watches/posts

Last edited by Devious21; 03-27-2014 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A few more updates. They are now including a wooden box (along with the leather roll). It will come in the brown shown in the color swatch. People have already complained about the logo being too faint so they are going to bold it up a bit to contrast against the brown.
Great update. TY for posting.

Red:
Really? Too faint on the box or the watch? Moreover, why care if the logo is faint or not? Good lord save me. What will folks think of to complain about next?

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Great update. TY for posting.

Red:
Really? Too faint on the box or the watch? Moreover, why care if the logo is faint or not? Good lord save me. What will folks think of to complain about next?

All the best.
Haha.

They were referring to the logo on the box against the brown. They let the backers vote if they wanted to box in the bare wood, grey or brown. Brown ended up winning out - with the condition that the logo have more contrast

You can see what they were talking about compared to the grey(that lost).

The logo kind of got lost in the brown finish and more than one person commented on it, so the Zelos guy said he'd fix it.

Also, the Zelos guy is insanely accommodating. It's gotten to the point where other backers and telling him not to add anymore stuff (he was also toying with the idea of embossing each leather roll with the person's initials). They are worried it's going to push production out too far and that he won't make enough money. Anstead was brought up as an example because the fact that they had their first watch funded and then had to come back to crowdsourcing for their second watch. I guess the implication being that they didn't really make any significant profit to get their brand off the ground.

PS: I voted for Steel watches to get grey boxes and Bronze watches to get brown. That idea didn't gain any traction

Last edited by Devious21; 03-27-2014 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha.

They were referring to the logo on the box against the brown. They let the backers vote if they wanted to box in the bare wood, grey or brown. Brown ended up winning out - with the condition that the logo have more contrast

You can see what they were talking about compared to the grey(that lost).

[pic deleted]

The logo kind of got lost in the brown finish and more than one person commented on it, so the Zelos guy said he'd fix it.

Also, the Zelos guy is insanely accommodating. It's gotten to the point where other backers and telling him not to add anymore stuff (he was also toying with the idea of embossing each leather roll with the person's initials). They are worried it's going to push production out too far and that he won't make enough money. ...
I can see visually what you/they meant. My mind remains dumbfounded why one would care about the logo on a box that will end up in the trash or stuffed in the back of a closet.

It's funny what folks think about packaging. There's a thread on WUS that I started recently about packaging. (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/wa...g-1004198.html) I'm having a good laugh at some of the comments.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I can see visually what you/they meant. My mind remains dumbfounded why one would care about the logo on a box that will end up in the trash or stuffed in the back of a closet.

It's funny what folks think about packaging. There's a thread on WUS that I started recently about packaging. (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/wa...g-1004198.html) I'm having a good laugh at some of the comments.

All the best.
Very interesting thread. Read through the first two pages. I feel similarly to you. My box will probably just end up in my closet with the spare straps and other stuff. I'm actually more interested in that leather roll they're including.

My bet is that most of the draw of those extravagant boxes is the unboxing experience. If you go on youtube, you can find thousands of videos dedicated to unboxing. People just love that "Christmas morning" type experience. I think all that effort into the packaging fills that strange need. I honestly get pleasure from it as well (just not enough to watch other people unboxing their own stuff in videos all day :P)

I think the packaging also speaks to the quality of the product, though. Apple products for example, come in very nice boxes. Not extravagant in any sense. They are actually a very minimalistic design but they are put together well and you can see the thought that was put into designing it, which reflects the thought that goes into their products. At least with those, since they are just thick cardboard, you have no remorse for just tossing it afterwards.

At some point, I think too much becomes overly extravagant like the one you showed in that thread. It does illicit a certain "wow" factor when unboxing it but then you can't help but wonder how much money and effort was redirected into the packaging and your left with a useless box.

Maybe they can setup a core-charge business model and you can send back your extravagant box for a small refund

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 06:54 PM   #16
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I noticed one of the guys in that thread saying he does store his watch in that box when not in use and therefore appreciates a box on par with the watch itself.

If you had 1 really nice watch and you only wore it out on special occasions, I guess maybe that would be nice. You'd basically get a taste of that same unboxing experience I spoke of, each time there's a special occasion and you go to pull it out.

My "collection" is such that my watches will just be stored with my other watches, so boxes have no functional purpose.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I noticed one of the guys in that thread saying he does store his watch in that box when not in use and therefore appreciates a box on par with the watch itself.

If you had 1 really nice watch and you only wore it out on special occasions, I guess maybe that would be nice. You'd basically get a taste of that same unboxing experience I spoke of, each time there's a special occasion and you go to pull it out.

My "collection" is such that my watches will just be stored with my other watches, so boxes have no functional purpose.
+1

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 03:19 AM   #18
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Kickstarter ended today.

Quote:
Project Update #9: A huge THANK YOU to all backers!
Posted by Zelos Watches ♥ Like
The past 30 days has been amazing! All of you guys have shown your support in more ways than one. I would like to thank each and every one of you for helping to fund this project and also sharing the word which has made this project more successful than I could've imagined.

Production is already underway in order to meet the delivery dates and I will continue to update with more pictures when I get them! Most of you have already placed your orders for your preferred dial color and serial but changes are welcome if stock is available.

I'll like to leave you with a snapshot I received this morning of the warranty cards which are on their way to me right now!

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 09:11 AM   #19
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Kickstarter ended today.

+1

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #20
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Looks like watches are being built and getting ready to ship. Here's some photos of the process. Stainless are shipping first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelos
Just wanted to keep you guys in the loop as we are closing in on delivery. The steel models are due to be delivered first with a target of around the middle of May. I have to apologise about the slight delay with the bronze models though as they will only be ready to ship around the start of June.

This slight delay was due to the way the cases were made. Most watches are stamped into a rough shape before being milled to the final product which is also how the steel ones are made.

Here's a shot of the steel case right after stamping. It's got a lot more work to be done!

Quote:
The original plan was to stamp the bronze cases as well but the complicated design of the cases did not work well for this method. Hence the original mold had to be dumped and new methods had to be found. Investment casting was used instead to get the rough shapes.

It doesn't look like much but can you make out the various parts on this 'tree'?

Quote:
Here's the bronze casing right out of casting

Quote:
After one pass of machining. Many more to go!

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #21
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Wow that's nice with its rustic look.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #22
marvin100
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: .

Can't get behind a display back with an undistinguished/undecorated movement. Nothing wrong with a metal back, sheesh.
Appreciate 0