E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > F56 MCS Impressions

04-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

F56 MCS Impressions

I have been agonizing over selling my '08 E92 M3 for something more economical but still fun and I wanted to check out the '14 MCS. Stopped by a Mini dealer yesterday and asked the sales person to drive the car for the 1st leg of the test drive and I would take the second. This was by far the best test drive I have ever been on. He drove the car like he stole it!

Car was a 6 speed with H/K audio, no 8" screen. The audio system was very impressive, surprised me how clear everything sounded and the bass sounded very good. Music was played through a thumb drive. Exterior was black on black (17" wheels) and looked outstanding. BMW really out did themselves with this new design. Interior was black on black with the leather/alcantara trim. Much to my surprise everything inside felt very solid. Seats are perfect for my frame (5' 11" - 170lbs) and I felt very secure in both the drivers and passenger seats during some very aggressive driving. The rev matching is very quick. I was surprised how quick it was. This is very different clutch/shifter than what I have been driving for the past 5 years so I understand it takes some getting used too.

I'm almost sold on making the switch however there were some slight concerns that I need to either get used too or hopefully try and address after I make the purchase. Please provide feedback on the below if possible:
1. Brakes felt very soft. Coming from a car that can stop on a dime this has me a little concerned. It could be that the was 300lbs heavier (passengers) so I am hoping that it stops better with just me in the car which will be 95% of time.
2. Clutch was extremely soft. Clutch in the E92 M3 IMO has a nice feel but it's predictable for me. My concern with the Mini is that it's so soft I stalled on a couple of take offs. I understand that new cars take some getting used too but would love to hear other impressions of the clutch.

I also got to sit in a car with the full technology package and it is worth the investment IMO. Very slick and useful. Also got to experience the auto parking which was very impressive. All in all it's a lot of car for $32k and I am really close to pulling the trigger.

It's obviously no M3 but given my needs this just might fit the bill. My car is up in the FS section if anyone is interested.
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

You will not get the level of clutch or brake feel as the M3 has....obviously without being a tool.
The shift action was very solid in mine and torque steer can be wristy if you don't pay attention.
I had an 08 and loved it. I have been watching out for 14' but they are just trickling in. S hatchback.
Mini has a horrible record for reliability but I had NOTHING disappoint me. At the end of my lease the head gasket gave and she would spit some oil when I got on it. Car was out of warranty and they changed it for free. The 3 year maintenance is nice too.

I put Eibach's on it soon after I got it. Don't do this if you plan on road tripping. ..it will wear you out. In town it was stiff but limited seat time made it bearable and fun. Super urban run around vehicle. You fold the rears down and you can stuff a lot of gear in there and it sips gas. I averaged around 24ish and I drove it hard.
Resale is crazy high.

Sleep on it. I will have another at some point.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Had the same experience. I wore a smile the whole time in both the base and S model. I was surprised to see how balanced it was, it drove like a MINI and had refinement very close to a BMW.

The clutch was soft but only took a few minutes to adjust to but at the same time, it complemented the the car. Do I wish it was stiff as the R56 or even BMW's? Yes but it's hard to care when you're having so much fun!

At times I kept thinking that the 3-Series should drive and feel like this. Maybe that's not fair but it speaks volumes of how much of an upgrade the F56 is over the R56 and shows that if BMW really wanted to build a fun car they still can and they did with the new MINI.
Appreciate 0