E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Camaro Z/28 vs Nissan GT-R

03-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #23
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
And I'd rather listen to Chris Harris over the both of them.

Ok, it's no surprise the Z28 beat the GTR here. The Z28 is strictly a track car, while the GTR is not, despite the one MT used being Track Pack Edition. Which btw is a sorry excuse for what Nissan calls a track version of the GTR. I'll paraphrase what Chris Harris says about the Track Edition GTR and that is, there isn't a long list of equipment for the Track Pack because there's barely any shit added on top of the base GTR.

The only thing that bothered me about this Head2Head was how biased the review was in favor of the Camaro. Someone earlier mentioned how Chevy sponsors MT. No surprise there. This reminds me of the review they did of the Cadillac and Lexus. Anyways, the review seemed too much like an advertisement for Chevy. They constantly talk about the inclement weather to make it sound like the GTR is going to win. They make the Track Pack equipped GTR sound like it's similarly assembled like the Z28 (which is not the case because the Z28 is a proper track car). And they spend significantly greater time with the Z28.

MT tends to overlook a lot of things in reviewing, especially in their Head2Head. I like their 'Ignition' segment more because there's less chance for them to be biased. Otherwise, Chris Harris still remains the best, most objective automotive journalist in my opinion.
They spent more time with the Camaro because it was the first time anyone had driven it. I don't think its some giant conspiracy.

Autoweek tested the Z/28 vs the GT3(which should be on the internet here soon) and pretty much echoed much of what was said by other reviewers. The GT3 was .5 quicker on the track but Andy Pilgrim was extremely impressed with the Z/28.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #24
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i'm surprised nobody has brought up that chevy is a huge motor trend sponsor and they also favored the chevy volt over tesla.

... just saying

actually, i couldn't help but look into this more so i looked for nurburgring numbers rather than the track and driver they used.

2014 Camaro Z28: 7:37.40
2013 Nissan GT-R: 7:19.1

source:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...urburgring-lap
http://www.caradvice.com.au/199112/2...me-in-history/
Yes, you're right, but the only problem is the Z/28 did that time in the rain.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #25
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I read the Motor Trend test and the GT-R came in last place due to its really harsh ride. The Z/28 was much better off the track than the GT-R. And the Z/28 tied a Ferrari 458 Italia in the figure eight!

I can tell you from personal experience - the GT-R is very harsh. I've driven a 2009 and a 2014 (both Premium models). The ride in the 2014 is better than the 2009, but not great at all.
Let me put it this way. My buddy who traded the 2009 in for a 2014 GT-R sold the 2014 after this winter. His back is killing him and he couldn't take it anymore, so he traded for a G37x. I joked with him saying that he's old LOL!

The laptimes that the Z/28 is putting down is not in ideal conditions. When it gets warmer, the tires will come into their own.

We'll see how it fares against the GT-R NISMO and GT3 at Laguna Seca. I think the GT-R and the GT3 will be quicker.....for a price. Both the NISMO and the GT3 will be more than double the price of the Z/28 and in the end, they won't be that much quicker than it.

Well done GM. I can't wait to see what the new Z06 does.

Last edited by TSM330i; 03-27-2014 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Updated
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #26
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Glad to see american cars holding there own against much more expensive cars.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #27
-Wingman-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
They spent more time with the Camaro because it was the first time anyone had driven it. I don't think its some giant conspiracy.

Autoweek tested the Z/28 vs the GT3(which should be on the internet here soon) and pretty much echoed much of what was said by other reviewers. The GT3 was .5 quicker on the track but Andy Pilgrim was extremely impressed with the Z/28.
Never claimed it was a giant conspiracy.

And yeah, I get the GTR is already been reviewed before, but this was a Head2Head challenge, and this isnt the first time MT spent more time on the car they favored over the competing cars.
Appreciate 0