E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > How important is interior design to you?

03-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
CarReviewBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

How important is interior design to you?

This has been my biggest issue with BMWS. Their interior really does feel like it's 20k cheaper than the actual price. But some people don't really care that much about it, so how important is interior to you?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
This is the same crowd that cannot moved past the interior of the Mustang and Corvette so my thinking is that they think it's pretty important.

My priorities change depending on the vehicle. My Exige was as spartan as you can get, this side of an Ariel Atom, but thatwasn't important to me at the time - I bought it for other reasons. The Mustang and Vette are similar stories. You don't buy one because the interior is a work of art, you buy it because it excels in other aspects.

When I had my 135i, I was always baffled that some folks thought that interior was cheap as I found it quite nice (simply, with a feeling of quality). I always heard about Audi interiors being so great, but I don't think my S4 interior is anything to write home about.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Desmo85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 / E87 / E89

I dont get it why everyone is complaining about BMW interiors, I think the E89s interior is one of the best looking interiors currently...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Very important. Two things I don't tolerate very well: 1) Bling (Cadillac); 2) Hard plastics (the standard F30s).

This has me excited (the new infotainment screen design will take some getting used to):

Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
This is the same crowd that cannot moved past the interior of the Mustang and Corvette so my thinking is that they think it's pretty important.

My priorities change depending on the vehicle. My Exige was as spartan as you can get, this side of an Ariel Atom, but thatwasn't important to me at the time - I bought it for other reasons. The Mustang and Vette are similar stories. You don't buy one because the interior is a work of art, you buy it because it excels in other aspects.

When I had my 135i, I was always baffled that some folks thought that interior was cheap as I found it quite nice (simply, with a feeling of quality). I always heard about Audi interiors being so great, but I don't think my S4 interior is anything to write home about.
I agree with everything you said. And I think interior design and materials is most important on luxury cars. I'm not extremely picky about the interiors of my sports cars as long as it is functional and made of pretty good looking materials. I think the e90 interior is a little bland but the materials are decent and the car is a great all round performer.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

interior is a huge deal for me. I need to enjoy what I am sitting in or else I will hate being in the car. I mostly focus on layout and flow....followed by quality and material

with that being said, when i was shopping back in 2008, Infiniti G vs 3 series....the G had me, one of the reasons being its interior.

BMW has stepped up its game TREMENDOUSLY for the 5,6 7 series.......but messed up on the 3. I like how the center of the dash slides into the center console on the 5,6,7....i especially LOVE the 6 series and the way it just makes you feel like the interior fits around you like a glove. The 3 series interior however sucks. 1) its all plastic...2) the components dont flow as nice as its larger relatives.

as of right now the BMW 6 series and Jag XJ are my favorite interiors of all time

with that being said....i dont like the Audi A4/6/7 interiors. its very cold and uninviting for me. Mercedes E class has the worst interior of all the germans. the C class is so close to being a winner...if it wasnt for that stupid floating navigation screen. it seems so out of place and an afterthought, very disappointing.
      03-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #7
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post

Gorgeous interior. I wonder if the number of break-ins will skyrocket if bums/thieves look inside and think it's an iPad attached to the dash of the Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

The interior is one of the most important factors for me when buying a car. I'd almost rank interior styling as more important that exterior styling to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 12:09 AM   #9
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

I can overlook the interior if the performance is too good to turn down.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #10
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

For me it just has to hit a certain level of quality, then after that I just don't care. For example, I love the Fiesta ST but it's too cheapo inside for me to want to live with it for years-to-come.

It's also why I like the ATS over the F30. The F30 interior is better, but the ATS is good enough that it becomes a non-factor. It's all about how it drives after that.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
it depends. if you're getting something that's close to a track car and that's what you want, then an interior that is less might be more (reference porsche gt3).

otherwise, it's huge imo. i love to fall in love with the inside of a car. i like pictures and sitting in it.

regarding bmws, they should have nice interiors and some classes do. i loved all my 3's but they did not have nice interiors. my 5, is slightly above okay. i love 6 series interiors. just down right beautiful imo.

all my opinion of course.
      03-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

On a daily driver its one of the biggest factors towards my favor. Car A might somewhat handle than car B, which has a better interior, but what do you spend doing 90% of the time in your daily driver? Its definitely a matter of individual priorities and some might spend more time corner carving than others but when you're on commuting on highways and slow moving streets the only thing you have to enjoy is your interior and its features.

When it comes to interiors there are two main criteria to compare on, aesthetic and material quality. 370z's have a cool looking layout though materials are cheap, whereas the current Mustang is both cheap looking and cheaply made. So, I while the 5.0's are much quicker than the 370's, I wouldn't have one any more than I would have a 370.

Personally, I think the new generation of BMW's both look fine and are made with acceptable materials. I drove a loaner base 528i and everything felt only average for the price except for the steering wheel. Even though it was the base wheel, whatever fabric it was wrapped in felt exceedingly cheap. I do feel the F30 looks really downmarket even compared to its older competition. I'd much rather spend time in the aging A4/S4 cabin than in the F30's. BMW interior design is heading in the right direction, but they really need to fix the F30's interior for the LCI.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

I think BMW interiors age better aesthetically and Mercedes interiors are much more impressive when new.

Most cars have good enough interior quality for me for their price except the 350Z.
Interior design does not bother me so much except for when it starts affecting function such as in renaults where they put the USB input in a weird place.
      03-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Functionality and durability are at the top of my priority list. Don't create a beautiful looking interior that after a year is peeling at edges, worn out at key spots or makes me cringe everytime i have to buckle a seat belt or plug my iphone in.

I like bmw interiors because they are not over the top and achieve in the two areas that I mentioned. My dad has a 1989 bmw 735i and the interior is still fantastic. Everything functions the way it did when he first got the car. My only other experience is with a 2011 e90. BMW seems to have kept with the same formula they used back in the day and I think it will work in their favor.

If they start going to overboard, that is only asking for problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
AstonKarim
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi RS5 Sportback

m6 gran coupe with full merino leather and ceramic controls, looks lovely and quality of materials used is up to par if not better than other manufacturers.

SOLD 2013 BMW 335i M Sport Xdrive / MPPK / MPE / Alpine White / Black Dakota Leather / M Sport Brake / 19"Style 403m / M Perf Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #16
Chocolate Apocalypse
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

My e92 interior is fine except for the center stack, the radio and HVAC are pretty ugly, though functional. My Equinox which is a year older and MSRP'd for just under half that of my e92 and to me has a better interior design/look. Dont get me wrong, the rest of the car is great but the interior is a bit of a letdown, especially considering the price.
Appreciate 0