E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Everest Colleges get SHUTDOWN

07-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Everest Colleges get SHUTDOWN

Finally.

First and foremost I apologize to anyone that graduated or is attending one of the CCi campuses. (Everest, Heald and WyoTech)

This is a victory for us taxpayers!

Interesting data from a recent study about Everest college:

1. The average cost of an associates degree from Everest is $40k

2. The average Corinthian graduate's salary is $17k, roughly $2k more than minimum wage.

3. 1 in 5 students default on their student loans.

4. Federal regulations state that you can only have a student loan forgiven if you we're previously enrolled at the college that shutdown within 120 days. Other than that, you're screwed and your degree is worthless.

I've predicted the For-Profit colleges demise about 3 years ago. There is already word that Apollo Inc. (University of Phoenix) is soon to follow suit. Then hopefully, Devry, ITT Tech, Kaplan, etc...

"Hey you, sitting on the couch!..."

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/consumers_cii_faqs

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/03/up...A18%22%7D&_r=0

Last edited by Uber V8; 07-29-2014 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

OMFG that black dude on the Everest commercials pissed me off so much. I don't know why. Thankfully, there was TiVo.
Why would anyone attend for-profit colleges? Community is cheap as fck and the well-established ones in SoCal gets you into the UC system if you meet the lowly requirements.
      07-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

hahahaha @ this thread.
      07-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Here is the real issue with these programs and I will tell you the same holds for not-for profit universities and colleges.

Quote:
more than 500 students completed the medical assistant certificate program during the 2007-08 and 2008-09 school years. After hitting the job market, they earned an average of $12,553 per year in 2011. Since 90 percent of full-time medical assistants are paid at least $21,080 per year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, this suggests that many of these students couldn’t get jobs in their field at all.
These schools crank out more students with degrees for jobs which do not exist. No school cares if you get a degree and find out there is no one currently hiring for the supposed skills you just completed a degree for. Those 500 people above most likely would not have been qualified to work even if the jobs really existed. They all went to work for McDonald's, why because no one would hire them otherwise.

It is all about the money, the schools want to suck as much out of you as they can and could care less if you can get a job.

I been saying this for years, School should not be allow to offer a degree in any field of study unless they can show companies actually list the degree as a requirement for employment. When the last time you say as job posting which said it requires a history or liberal arts degree (I know you can go and become a lawyer or politician with those degrees).You know if you want to pay the bill yourself go have at it, but you should not be allowed to get federal guarantee loans for degrees that no one is hiring for.

You know that 40% of the students do not have a job within 6 month of graduating colleges, why they have degrees which are useless.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
OMFG that black dude on the Everest commercials pissed me off so much. I don't know why. Thankfully, there was TiVo.
Why would anyone attend for-profit colleges? Community is cheap as fck and the well-established ones in SoCal gets you into the UC system if you meet the lowly requirements.
You should see the parody of those Everest commercials!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
hahahaha @ this thread.
Lots of comedy here:
http://www.thelayoff.com/corinthian-colleges

All the people that got laid off and their threads are starting to get trolled
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I been saying this for years, School should not be allow to offer a degree in any field of study unless they can show companies actually list the degree as a requirement for employment. When the last time you say as job posting which said it requires a history or liberal arts degree (I know you can go and become a lawyer or politician with those degrees).You know if you want to pay the bill yourself go have at it, but you should not be allowed to get federal guarantee loans for degrees that no one is hiring for.

You know that 40% of the students do not have a job within 6 month of graduating colleges, why they have degrees which are useless.
It's not necessarily that they are getting a degree in a field with no jobs available, but the fact most of these institutions aren't really accredited and most employers don't trust any degree from these schools. Many of them offer degrees in fields like accounting or nursing, fields which do require a degree and have demand, but the students aren't told that their degrees aren't worth the paper they are written on. Try applying to a Big 4 or other accounting firm with a degree from Devry or some place like that and you won't even make it past the front door.

These degrees are nothing more than fancy marketing to dumb people who think that they are getting a real degree. Like another poster said, I don't know why these people don't go to a community college for 2 years, get their AA and then transfer to a reputable 4 year state university.
      07-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

They mostly cater towards lower income individuals anyways... It always shocks me when someone would pic say ITT over a community college followed up with time spent at the in-state institution and have the same degree that the kid who broke his back trying to make it in as a freshman has... With about half the student debt for kicks.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Here is the real issue with these programs and I will tell you the same holds for not-for profit universities and colleges.

These schools crank out more students with degrees for jobs which do not exist. No school cares if you get a degree and find out there is no one currently hiring for the supposed skills you just completed a degree for. Those 500 people above most likely would not have been qualified to work even if the jobs really existed. They all went to work for McDonald's, why because no one would hire them otherwise.

It is all about the money, the schools want to suck as much out of you as they can and could care less if you can get a job.

I agree with most of what you're saying. The point you make about these "degree factories" promising jobs after they complete the paper shredding program or massage therapy program are true. The main cause of these colleges being cut off their umbilical cord with Federal funding was their blatant lies about job placement numbers. This is how it worked, I used to work at an Everest for 60 days...

After the poor student gets slapped on with maximum debt and terrible education, they send them to a fake graduation followed by a mandatory visit to their job placement center. Oh, they get you a job alright. What the student didn't know was Everest had an inside network similar to the drug cartels of employers who will hire and then fire these students within weeks of hiring. This was the only way Everest was able to tell the Feds we meet your minimum job placement standards.

I can go on all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
They mostly cater towards lower income individuals anyways... It always shocks me when someone would pic say ITT over a community college followed up with time spent at the in-state institution and have the same degree that the kid who broke his back trying to make it in as a freshman has... With about half the student debt for kicks.
This.

True story. If you show the SLIGHTEST interest in attending their college, your life is over. They will hound you until you specifically tell them to fuk off. There was an admission reps that actually drove to a potential students house to get them enrolled. They target all the low income, poverty stricken neighborhoods. They believe these people can't think for themselves and want the easy fast track to success.

You ever wonder why their commercials would come on only in the middle of the day when everyone else is working?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Are you guys telling me that my Master's in the Artistic Interpretations of Historical Street Corner Orange Sales from Julio's Discount Online Universitylike College is worthless?

Shit.

Time to apply to ITT for their BS in The Art of Turning on A Computer with Two Monitors degree. At least that might get me into the tech field.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
Have a buddy who attended ITT (I told him it was a terrible idea from the get go, but he knew better than I did) to get some kind of project management and IT degrees. Some of what got him there was the structure; they tell you when you need to be there and it's part of the grade and there are no classes to "pick" from you just select your desired path. The other thing that drew him there was the promise of what he would be able to make after he graduated with those degrees (this is where I started to tell him he was a fucking idiot if he believed them on this, mainly because I have been in the IT field for way too long, and nobody makes the kind of money they were talking about).

Once he heard both of those things, he was basically sold. I told him I would help him sign up for classes as well as giving him a much lower interest rate on money if he would go to some CC and transfer to a state school, which he declined. Since he graduated, he has admitted to me that he was a fucking idiot, now has some massive amount of debt and will more than likely not be buying a new home that he was thinking about while he was in school due to the fact that he is making the $30K I told him he would be making instead of the $70K that they told him.

Also talked to some of the "professors", at his request, that he had in the IT classes and it was amazing to me that they knew basically nothing about the field they were supposedly teaching in. Funny how the guy who has actual experience in the field and business knows what he is talking about right?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

^^

Very true. On a more serious note than my previous post, I've interviewed some fresh graduates from DeVry/ITT for various junior tech/developer positions and it was actually sad, but also kind of humorous, as to how little basic stuff they knew. Stuff that a kid in middle school can google and figure out in probably 10 minutes. And these guys didn't know even that much.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #12
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
Have a buddy who attended ITT (I told him it was a terrible idea from the get go, but he knew better than I did) to get some kind of project management and IT degrees. Some of what got him there was the structure; they tell you when you need to be there and it's part of the grade and there are no classes to "pick" from you just select your desired path. The other thing that drew him there was the promise of what he would be able to make after he graduated with those degrees (this is where I started to tell him he was a fucking idiot if he believed them on this, mainly because I have been in the IT field for way too long, and nobody makes the kind of money they were talking about).

Once he heard both of those things, he was basically sold. I told him I would help him sign up for classes as well as giving him a much lower interest rate on money if he would go to some CC and transfer to a state school, which he declined. Since he graduated, he has admitted to me that he was a fucking idiot, now has some massive amount of debt and will more than likely not be buying a new home that he was thinking about while he was in school due to the fact that he is making the $30K I told him he would be making instead of the $70K that they told him.

Also talked to some of the "professors", at his request, that he had in the IT classes and it was amazing to me that they knew basically nothing about the field they were supposedly teaching in. Funny how the guy who has actual experience in the field and business knows what he is talking about right?
My goodness. What was wrong with your friend?! It's like they sell the idea so well that some weak willed people can't say no.

I recall a few of the "professors" at Everest used to be used car salesmen. Matter of fact, the director of financial aid didn't even have her associates degree. She was working on it after her shift at work, wait for it........at Everest.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

My last job was IT admin for a school within the Univ of IL. We had a 3 semester (18-month) masters program that cost (IIRC) $23k. There was a bona fide placement rate above 98%. Average starting salary was north of $72k. Why there wasn't a line down the street of kids trying to get into our program was beyond me.

The demise of these diploma mills is long overdue. They're really just scams to get gov't funds. Their actions should be considered criminal fraud. Throw some of these bastards in jail and it'll stop. Maybe.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
My last job was IT admin for a school within the Univ of IL. We had a 3 semester (18-month) masters program that cost (IIRC) $23k. There was a bona fide placement rate above 98%. Average starting salary was north of $72k. Why there wasn't a line down the street of kids trying to get into our program was beyond me.

The demise of these diploma mills is long overdue. They're really just scams to get gov't funds. Their actions should be considered criminal fraud. Throw some of these bastards in jail and it'll stop. Maybe.
Was it UIC?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

No, UIUC.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #16
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
^^

Very true. On a more serious note than my previous post, I've interviewed some fresh graduates from DeVry/ITT for various junior tech/developer positions and it was actually sad, but also kind of humorous, as to how little basic stuff they knew. Stuff that a kid in middle school can google and figure out in probably 10 minutes. And these guys didn't know even that much.
I laugh when we do some interviews in similar situations now. I can't help but feel a little bad for them as well, however. I mean, sure, they fucked up and went to a 2 bit school, but they were told they knew what they were doing by the people that were "teaching" them.

Some of the certifications that they "help them get" are basically laughable as well. They are, of course, told that they are going to be more desirable because they have a couple Crisco (you can see how much I like that company) certs that basically every kid in high school has now and think it's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
My goodness. What was wrong with your friend?! It's like they sell the idea so well that some weak willed people can't say no.

I recall a few of the "professors" at Everest used to be used car salesmen. Matter of fact, the director of financial aid didn't even have her associates degree. She was working on it after her shift at work, wait for it........at Everest.
Trust me, I tried as hard as I could to get him to go another way, but he was dead set on it. He has told me many, many times since how much he has regretted that choice for my cheap money and going to a real school. The financial aid people will basically make something work for you so that you can see that going back to school is going to be affordable; until you need to pay off that $75+ thousand in debt.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #17
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

After flunking out of EE at UCSB I was resigned to ITT, then a family friend who worked at the local JC got me into the admissions office of a satellite of University of LaVerne. Not top-notch, but at least accredited.

I've managed to make 6 figures as an IT Admin with just my A+ certification in the technical area. Not sure if the MS from USC helped or not. . .
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Oh dear Oh dear.....

I got 12 PhDs' at Everest College.
Just lok at my spalling and gremmer.

*kidding.

These ITT and other "institute" may be a good supplement for current workforce who already has a job to just get more updated software knowledge to be more time efficient. However at the price of tuition, it may be cost effective to just struggle and self learn.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #19
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Bryman colleges and Biohealth just collapsed too.

Quote:
Numerous phone calls to the college administration went unanswered Monday, and founder Sam Shirazi did not respond to interview requests last week. The company's financial troubles came to light in May, when Bryman students arrived to see eviction notices on their former San Jose campus. Its landlord said the company owed $82,000 in rent.

http://www.mercurynews.com/education...se-their-doors
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The company's financial troubles came to light in May, when Bryman students arrived to see eviction notices on their former San Jose campus.
Probably the most useful lesson they learned.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #21
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho
+ infinity! The guys face just pissed me off every time I saw him yelling to go sign up haha. You have to be a complete idiot to choose one of these schools over the great quality and low priced education community college offers.
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #22
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisam135i View Post
+ infinity! The guys face just pissed me off every time I saw him yelling to go sign up haha. You have to be a couple idiot to choose one of these schools over the great quality and low priced education community college offers.
Why man you can get a BA in 48 hours. Why would I waste 4 years on community college. Shit man get your shit straight son. More time for that yeyo and rolling that cali rag ya heard!