E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > hype kills things...

03-26-2006, 02:05 AM   #1
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

hype kills things...

I swear... soon as I hear about something that becomes hyped, like a movie, or even a piece of clothing that becomes popular fashion, I detest it. Not for the sake of being different, but because I hate trendy things that so many others are into just for the sake of "fitting in" or "having something to say". LoL, it busts me up. For instance, I should have purchased five thousand *Lance Armstrong bands to contribute to his cancer fund, but w/ everyone and their mom wearing one I just couldn't do it, and I should have, my grandmother died of leukemia. I just couldn't participate in something so vain though. But yeh, I hate trendy stuff(for the lack of a better word, as of this moment I stop swearing).

Last edited by E90-4life; 03-26-2006 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

For me, if it's a good movie and I've heard good things about it I would go see it. BUT only if I also think it's good. As for clothes, it's whatever I think looks good. I was never into the fashion trend or shoes trend. I buy what I like and I like what I buy. I think most people over 20 have realized that they dont have to follow the trend just to fit in. I think it's only teenagers that would follow the trends in order to make themselves popular (or at least not an outcast).
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
I think it's only teenagers that would follow the trends in order to make themselves popular (or at least not an outcast).
I don't think it's just teens personally, it's adults too. Largely depend on where you live I think.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
MonacoBlueNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
For instance, I should have purchased five thousand Neil Armstrong bands to contribute to his cancer fund, but w/ everyone and their mom wearing one I just couldn't do it, and I should have, my grandmother died of leukemia. I just couldn't participate in something so vain though.
Where you getting those bands, the moon?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #5
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueNJ
Where you getting those bands, the moon?
eh?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

He's ragging on you because you mistakingly typed "Neil Armstrong" when it is clearly supposed to be Lance Armstrong. Neil was the dude who landed on the moon. Lance is the cancer survivor.
      03-26-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
He's ragging on you because you mistakingly typed "Neil Armstrong" when it is clearly supposed to be Lance Armstrong. Neil was the dude who landed on the moon. Lance is the cancer survivor.
Haha, I just caught that. I can be pardoned since that was 12:05 am I typed the intial post.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
Good catch, it when right by me!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
IMO the only thing more annoying then people that are always all over whatever the latest "cool" thing is, are people that don't like things just because they're popular.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
TD
Carmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT Black Sapphire/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90-4life
I swear... soon as I hear about something that becomes hyped, like a movie, or even a piece of clothing that becomes popular fashion, I detest it. Not for the sake of being different, but because I hate trendy things that so many others are into just for the sake of "fitting in" or "having something to say". LoL, it busts me up. For instance, I should have purchased five thousand *Lance Armstrong bands to contribute to his cancer fund, but w/ everyone and their mom wearing one I just couldn't do it, and I should have, my grandmother died of leukemia. I just couldn't participate in something so vain though. But yeh, I hate trendy stuff(for the lack of a better word, as of this moment I stop swearing).
Then why do you still have a BMW?

2006 330i (E90) - 6MT, Black Sapphire / Terra leather, Sport/Premium
1998 M3 Sedan (E36) - 5MT, Cosmos Black / Black Nappa leather - SOLD March 2006
2001 330i (E46) - 5MT, Steel Grey / Black 'Ette, Sport - SOLD October 2001
1999 323iC (E36) - 5MT, Jet Black / Sand leather, Sport/Premium
1991 318is (E30) - 5MT, Hellrot / Tan - SOLD March 1997
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 07:54 PM   #11
SoCaLNaTiVe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral White X5

You still could have bought the arm band for the cause and not sported the band.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #12
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Then why do you still have a BMW?
BMW isn't a fad, it's an enduring passion.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 09:33 PM   #13
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaLNaTiVe
You still could have bought the arm band for the cause and not sported the band.
True, just didn't feel right in the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #14
Hawkeye3
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, sport

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Have you made any contribution? There are countless ways to donate money and/or time to good causes like cancer research, Habitat for Humanity, etc, without being trendy or vain. Just write a check and don't tell anyone (except the IRS).

If you have yet to donate, ask yourself if the arm bands are the reason you have not contributed or are they just a rationalization for not spending the money? (sounds like cancer research ie- Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation is a good cause for you).

Ultimately, if you decide charity is not for you, it is your decision. The question is not whether the wrist band feels right, the question is does giving to a good cause feel right? You are mixing up buying a band to make a personal statement (whatever that statement means) with paying a dollar to help a good cause.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #15
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

If I knew a way of contributing money to the Lance Armstrong Cancer fund than I for sure would have done it if it didn't require me having to buy one of the arm bands. I have contributed to various charities, including Red Cross to which I've given blood on several occasions, they even sent me a card that I can take into any Red Cross location to verify my info so that I can give blood w/ out having to do all the paperwork that a walk in would have to do. So whether I'm a self centered/self righteous person really isn't the question.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 10:28 PM   #16
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

hype ruins every week of the show Lost. Constantly let down to the point of not watching it anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #17
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
hype ruins every week of the show Lost. Constantly let down to the point of not watching it anymore.
Same, I got into on my own. Once I turned on the radio and started hearing all the interviews and gossip for the next episode my interest in the show fizzled in no time.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 10:53 AM   #18
Squawks
United_States
Rep

That's why you shouldn't follow the hype. I certainly don't waste my time with radio talk shows regarding Lost or paper columns.

Lost is a good show, too - at least better than 99% of the other crap they throw on TV. I watch it on DVD, so I get to skip the heinous commercials. And watch the episodes back-to-back. When is Season 2 coming out on DVD?
      03-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #19
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I currently feel the same way about The Sopranos, though it's starting to improve. I think that with our multimedia blitz life everything gets around and blown out of proportion incredibly quickly..whether it's a TV show, or Lyme Disease or two olympic volleyball chicks patting each other on the butt. It reminds me of the thread last week about Fox news.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #20
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Lost should have been a one season show. The second season is worse than horrible, it's like they're just dragging it on until the ratings finally die out and it gets cancelled. The melodrama about the baby is driving me crazy, someone should just throw the fricking thing in the ocean.

The Sopranos on the other hand is under HUGE pressure to perform, particularly coming back after so long... yet they still put out episodes that live up to the hype. I love that show.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #21
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Good to hear, findtom - as that's the series I'll soon be watching (off of DVD, with episodes going back-to-back). I personally thought Lost was great but that's just me after watching just the first season. The story is deep - I like how the plot doesn't revolve just around idiots actually surviving on an island but it's purely based on all the foibles of human nature. The flashbacks themselves add deeply to the story, and that's what I love about Lost.

You don't watch the show just to see how they escape. That's stupid. You watch the show to unravel the mysteries behind each character and how their identities progress as they attempt to survive - unlike Prison Break where they focus so much on the actual breakout itself.
      03-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #22
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Yes, I agree. The depth of each character is what made that show great. I loved the first season for the reasons you say. There are a few good episodes (okay, a couple maybe) in the second season... but it's nowhere near in the same league as the first.

Basically in the second season they just open up can after can of pointless melodramatic mystery that they give no resolution to whatsoever. I'm sure some people still like it and continue to be intrigued by the mystery of the show... but I think they're also probably the same kind of people that can't wait to find out who is going to win American Idol #22

The first few episodes are worth watching because they tie into the first season, but you'll see what I mean pretty soon into the series. I would suggest you watch Season 1 of Nip Tuck instead if you haven't seen it.
Appreciate 0