E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Driver door won't unlock, even with key

05-01-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
rkhanso
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Garage List
2006 MBW 325xi  [0.00]
Driver door won't unlock, even with key

I've searched the forum and see where fuses and acutators are common problem areas. I'm not sure the issue with my daughter's car is the same though.

2006 325xi

Door won't open with physical key in the outside tumbler/key. Using the physical key, I can turn it right or left, but the driver door won't unlock either way.

When inside the car, pulling on the door handle to open won't unlock or open the door, no matter how many times you pull on the handle.

The key fob/remote will lock and unlock the other 3 doors, but not the driver door.

The interior central locking button will lock and unlock the other 3 doors, but not the driver door. When you push the central locking button and put your finger on the lock plunger at the top rear of the door, you can feel and hear a click, but the plunger won't go up. It's always in the down position.

I didn't think this would be a fuse problem since:
1. all doors except the driver door work with the fob and the central lock button.
2. I can feel and hear a click on the driver door when the central lock button is pressed.

My daughter is coming over tonight with her car again and I will check the fuses.

But, are there any other things I can try? Super secret knock to get it to work? If I can't get the door open, how can I get the interior panel off to look inside to see what's broke or replace anything?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevrolegs

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
This is a good reference site for all things repair:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...front/B9gsExvL
      05-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

It's Difficult but I some how Managed to take the Passenger Door Inside Cover Off once as my Door Lock failed on me but that was in 2014.
You have to pull the door inside cover off to even begin to see what is disconnected.
if you can feel the click, and actuator, are you really sure.

Most Likely some connecting rod has come lose. if you find the issue, make you you secure it..... I had to do mine, with a ZIP TIE.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 11:11 PM   #4
rkhanso
Rep

Garage List
2006 MBW 325xi  [0.00]
Thanks for the input. I'll check out the info tomorrow.

I checked the two 20 amp fuses. They were both OK....and upgraded already from 15A to 20A.

After messing around with it longer, somehow the driver door finally did pop up the plunger when unlocking it with the key from the outside. But not all the time. Also, it started working from the inside.

The remote will lock all doors, but the only one it won't unlock is the driver door.

I suppose that means it's the actuator, right? Even though the key and the inside door handle wouldn't even unlock it? Does that even make sense?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
rkhanso
Rep

Garage List
2006 MBW 325xi  [0.00]
Thanks for all the help.
I replaced the door lock actuator today and it's working great now.
Appreciate 0