E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > The New BMW S1000RR HP4

08-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #23
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

In the realm of sportbikes, "promoting" to a litre bike from a capable 600 SS bike isn't always a promotion. At times it can be a step backwards or sideways.

You car folk won't understand
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Liter-bikes for the street and 600s for the track.

That BMW is BEAST. But I'll probably go green and save some money. Bavarian tax is redonkulous.
      08-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #25
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

I bought my first motorcyle last year in June. A 2011 Suzuki GSX-R 600. I loved that bike. I heard both ends of it. Don't start with a 600, because that is too powerful for a beginner. The other side was, don't get the 600 because it is weak and you will tired of it in a month.

Ultimately, I believe that the rider's experience will vary individually depending on their level of maturity and respect for the variables. I practiced with that 600 a LOT before taking it on the hwys. After many weeks/few months, I felt comfortabe with her on any road and dealing with less that fair conditions/driving hazards... NYC area, lol.

Sadly, I was heartbroken when my Suzuki was stolen in June 2012. But when insurance came to the rescue, a friend of mine pointed out S1000RR to me because of my car and knew I was a BMW fan. I couldn't say no. I have had my S1000RR for about 6 weeks now, and with racking up 800 miles already, although I had plenty of fun with the GSX-R, I must say that BMW bike is a marvel. Handling, power, braking, electronics... what a difference!

I can admit that I was a little bit nervous about going from a 600 to a 1000 with only a little bit over a year's worth of riding experience, but to be honest, the S1000RR has 4 different settings that can work for a beginner to gradually feel out the bike and "self promote" when they as an individual feels ready.

I have to agree with most on this thread, and say that it not a good idea to start out on a 1000cc motorcylce.... but if you feel you MUST, the BMW S1000RR would be the one to do it on. Just my 3 cents, lol

In any case, drive/ride carefully to us all
      08-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #26
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Great perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I bought my first motorcyle last year in June. A 2011 Suzuki GSX-R 600. I loved that bike. I heard both ends of it. Don't start with a 600, because that is too powerful for a beginner. The other side was, don't get the 600 because it is weak and you will tired of it in a month.

Ultimately, I believe that the rider's experience will vary individually depending on their level of maturity and respect for the variables. I practiced with that 600 a LOT before taking it on the hwys. After many weeks/few months, I felt comfortabe with her on any road and dealing with less that fair conditions/driving hazards... NYC area, lol.

Sadly, I was heartbroken when my Suzuki was stolen in June 2012. But when insurance came to the rescue, a friend of mine pointed out S1000RR to me because of my car and knew I was a BMW fan. I couldn't say no. I have had my S1000RR for about 6 weeks now, and with racking up 800 miles already, although I had plenty of fun with the GSX-R, I must say that BMW bike is a marvel. Handling, power, braking, electronics... what a difference!

I can admit that I was a little bit nervous about going from a 600 to a 1000 with only a little bit over a year's worth of riding experience, but to be honest, the S1000RR has 4 different settings that can work for a beginner to gradually feel out the bike and "self promote" when they as an individual feels ready.

I have to agree with most on this thread, and say that it not a good idea to start out on a 1000cc motorcylce.... but if you feel you MUST, the BMW S1000RR would be the one to do it on. Just my 3 cents, lol

In any case, drive/ride carefully to us all
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #27
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
But I'll probably go green and save some money. Bavarian tax is redonkulous.
I dont know, in this instance, I actually feel the pricetag on the Bimmer is actually somewhat *gasp* reasonable.

With how much the Jap bikes have shot up in the past years due to the strengthening of the yen, you have to really look at what your getting.

For example,

2012 GSXR 1000- MSRP $13,799

2012 BMW S1000RR- $15,995 (includes ABS, DTC, and Quickshifter)

When you start comparing specs on these, side by side, the amount you would have to put into the Suzuki to make it on par or outperform the BMW Stock, is sort of ridiculous.

The BMW is a LOT of bike for the price. And the quality of components is pretty much second to none. This is a ready to go, out of the box, straight up race bike.

And I want one so bad.
      08-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #28
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I REALLY want an S1000RR!!! It's just that for the track SS bikes can be alot better and more fun. Even on the street an SS bike is plenty enough.

In the end a bigger bike cannot compensate for lack of skill and experience. I gaurentee that throwing out a 250 and really wringing its neck on the twisties and track is more fun that being sub-par on a SS bike.

I much rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.

Ps: SS (supersport) bike = your typical 600cc sportbike
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #29
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
In the end a bigger bike cannot compensate for lack of skill and experience. I gaurentee that throwing out a 250 and really wringing its neck on the twisties and track is more fun that being sub-par on a SS bike.
Ps: SS (supersport) bike = your typical 600cc sportbike
Cant count the number of times I have been passed mid-corner by some 15 year old on a 250 at Jerez Circuit. Im no slouch either.

Wish I could have started this at the age these Spanish kids over here start.

Also, am tempted to pick up a Ninja 250 to track out when i get back to the states. Im a big dude but I just feel like it would be so fun to just go flying through the damn corners without hardly touching the brakes!
      08-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #30
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
I dont know, in this instance, I actually feel the pricetag on the Bimmer is actually somewhat *gasp* reasonable.

With how much the Jap bikes have shot up in the past years due to the strengthening of the yen, you have to really look at what your getting.

For example,

I meant a ZX-10R ("green"). The only current bike on the market right now that can touch the S1k is the Kawasaki. But I agree, with the difference so small now that I've checked, it's worth it to buy the Bavarian. That's MSRP, though. In reality, there's always more room to work with on the Kawasaki while the BMW is sold pretty much at full tag so that's a factor as well.

I guess it all comes down to feel and ergonomics, whichever is more comfortable gets my vote.
      08-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #31
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Cant count the number of times I have been passed mid-corner by some 15 year old on a 250 at Jerez Circuit. Im no slouch either.

Also, am tempted to pick up a Ninja 250 to track out when i get back to the states. Im a big dude but I just feel like it would be so fun to just go flying through the damn corners without hardly touching the brakes!
Spain is spending a lot of money in its youth when it comes to motorcycle racing. Just look at the current crop of premier class riders in MOTOGP. The italians on the other hand are in the decline.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #32
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:

For example,

When you start comparing specs on these, side by side, the amount you would have to put into the Suzuki to make it on par or outperform the BMW Stock, is sort of ridiculous.

The BMW is a LOT of bike for the price. And the quality of components is pretty much second to none. This is a ready to go, out of the box, straight up race bike.

And I want one so bad.
I agree with this 100%. My 2011 Suzuki GSX-R 600 was $11,500.00 MSRP last year. My 2012 BMW S1000RR was 15,300.00 MSRP. The difference in price caught me off guard because it was not as wide a gap as I would have expected.

Talk about more bang for your buck. The monthly payments I make on the BMW is a little less than $30 more a month compred to my Gixxer-Sixxer. The upgrade was a no brainer, lol.
      08-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #33
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:

You ain't the only one my man. I am still fairly new to riding a motorcycle, so even though my bike is powerful, I have been passed up by more experienced riders on less powerful machinery.

I am no hater, I humble myself, and just say... you are nice on that thing!

(one day i will catch up!)

Be safe on the roads, fellas.