E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Calling all soldiers... questions...

12-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Calling all soldiers... questions...

To our members who are or have been soldiers in the US Armed Forces (any branch, but specifically Army):

I want to join the Army. I need your input on your feelings before, during, and after service. I want to know your reasons for joining, your reasons for leaving, whether your would re-enlist, and your regrets.

I'm looking at joining the Army in a non-direct combat role, something which would give me training and experience more widely usable in the real world. Computer sciences, communications, etc. I will also be attending college concurrently, and using my G.I. Bill afterwards...

Help me out, brothers. (and sisters!)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Wow, never thought you'd be the one making this thread.

I joined back in 99' and it was the best decision I made. I graduated HS with a 3.7GPA, but fell into the wrong crowd, drugs, etc. My father was in the military, so I figured that would be best shot to fix my life. Originally it was only going to be one enlistment, but when my window opened, I looked at everything. Yeah I could get out and go to college for free, but by the time I'd graduate, I would have been 26ish. That and I wanted to go back to germany since I grew up there.

When you're in the military, they take care of you. You never have to worry about rent, medical bills, food, etc. Get stationed in countries most people will never see in pictures. Its all covered. You just have to realize that you're on call 24/7.

As far as the job goes, you probably wanna get in the Signal branch, which is what I'm in.

Listen to me, not your recruiter. If you want to deal strictly with Computer networks you go with MOS 25B. If you want to deal with Satellites you go with MOS 25S. If you want to be challenged and deal with all aspects of communications, you go with MOS 25U.

As far as staying in and getting out. Well, if you do more than one enlistment, its stupid to get out. By that time you'll almost be at 10 years with 10 more to go. If you do get out though, make sure you have certifications to go with that experience. People think that college alone will get them there, but I was offered big money jobs a couple years ago when my time was almost up. Experience in the military and certifications do more for you than a degree will. Having all three? You'll be set.

If theres anything else, just ask.

By the way, there's no such thing as non combat anymore. I know what you're refering to, infantry etc. Maybe you should look at the airforce. Safer, shorter time in iraq, more technical.
      12-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
To our members who are or have been soldiers in the US Armed Forces (any branch, but specifically Army):

I want to join the Army. I need your input on your feelings before, during, and after service. I want to know your reasons for joining, your reasons for leaving, whether your would re-enlist, and your regrets.

I'm looking at joining the Army in a non-direct combat role, something which would give me training and experience more widely usable in the real world. Computer sciences, communications, etc. I will also be attending college concurrently, and using my G.I. Bill afterwards...

If you join the Army, you're a soldier (grunt) first. There is no such thing as an Army non-combat role.

I was in the Air Force for almost 23 years. Here's my advice: Get a degree before going into the military, either by yourself or ROTC. An officer's pay is much more substantial than enlisted. And then join either the Air Force or Navy.

PM me with specific questions if you'd like....
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

I'll chime in here.

I was in the army from 2003-2005. I was first planning on doing ROTC in college and becoming an officer. However, 9/11 happened and I felt compelled to enlist. I wanted to go into the rangers, but the only contract I could get at the time was for artillery or a cook. I passed, and went airborne infantry. I attended Infantry school at Ft. Benning Georgia for 14 weeks, and once I graduated from there, went to airborne school for 3 weeks to train for static line jumps from C-17s and C-130s. IMO, I thought basic was a joke and easy as hell. But each guy is different. We had a few guys who couldn't handle it, as they were the type who never lifted a finger during their whole teen lives.

I served with the 173rd Airborne Brigade based in Vicenza, Italy. I spent 1 1/2 years stationed there, and loved it. I saw many, many sights all over europe. I toured Italy, Germany, and ski trips in Austria. We trained constantly, with physical training being at the top. Many weeks we would run at least 30 to sometimes 50 miles. However, while in garrison, we had our free time. It was just like another job. We did numerous trips to areas of Germany and Italy to conduct training jumps, ranges, live fire excercises, etc. Sometimes we trained alongside the Italian Airborne.

Unfortunately, I deployed to afghanistan in 2005 and was seriously wounded in May 2005. I was shot 3 times, one leaving me paralyzed from the waist down. Spent many months rehabing, but I got through it. Now I am enjoying "retired" life at 23. As for compensation, I drive a new 335i, so its not that bad. But I would trade it all back to be 100% healthy and back in my unit.

I enjoyed being in the military, there was its ups and downs like anything else. From what you listed as your possible MOS's, I'd recommend something in signals or something of that sort. I've met some signals guys and they get to mess with some pretty high speed equipment. The army is looking more and more into UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) so that would be a good field to possibly get into IMO. Ask me any questions you have, and I'd be happy to answer them the best I can!
      12-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RokX View Post
I'll chime in here.

I was in the army from 2003-2005. I was first planning on doing ROTC in college and becoming an officer. However, 9/11 happened and I felt compelled to enlist. I wanted to go into the rangers, but the only contract I could get at the time was for artillery or a cook. I passed, and went airborne infantry. I attended Infantry school at Ft. Benning Georgia for 14 weeks, and once I graduated from there, went to airborne school for 3 weeks to train for static line jumps from C-17s and C-130s. IMO, I thought basic was a joke and easy as hell. But each guy is different. We had a few guys who couldn't handle it, as they were the type who never lifted a finger during their whole teen lives.

I served with the 173rd Airborne Brigade based in Vicenza, Italy. I spent 1 1/2 years stationed there, and loved it. I saw many, many sights all over europe. I toured Italy, Germany, and ski trips in Austria. We trained constantly, with physical training being at the top. Many weeks we would run at least 30 to sometimes 50 miles. However, while in garrison, we had our free time. It was just like another job. We did numerous trips to areas of Germany and Italy to conduct training jumps, ranges, live fire excercises, etc. Sometimes we trained alongside the Italian Airborne.

Unfortunately, I deployed to afghanistan in 2005 and was seriously wounded in May 2005. I was shot 3 times, one leaving me paralyzed from the waist down. Spent many months rehabing, but I got through it. Now I am enjoying "retired" life at 23. As for compensation, I drive a new 335i, so its not that bad. But I would trade it all back to be 100% healthy and back in my unit.

I enjoyed being in the military, there was its ups and downs like anything else. From what you listed as your possible MOS's, I'd recommend something in signals or something of that sort. I've met some signals guys and they get to mess with some pretty high speed equipment. The army is looking more and more into UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles) so that would be a good field to possibly get into IMO. Ask me any questions you have, and I'd be happy to answer them the best I can!
I feel for you man. I'm glad you got through it. If you dont mind me asking, what do you do now workwise? 173rd should be back by May next year. Lots of people waiting for them. When they come back, my old unit leaves at the exact same time.
      12-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
I feel for you man. I'm glad you got through it. If you dont mind me asking, what do you do now workwise? 173rd should be back by May next year. Lots of people waiting for them. When they come back, my old unit leaves at the exact same time.
Right now I am not employed, really no need at the moment, being financially secure. People have offered me jobs, but I don't want a "job", I want a career. I will go to school, as soon as I figure out where I will be living for more than a few years. Through my VA benefits, I get school paid for, I just don't know what I want to do yet.
      12-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Right now I am not employed, really no need at the moment, being financially secure. People have offered me jobs, but I don't want a "job", I want a career. I will go to school, as soon as I figure out where I will be living for more than a few years. Through my VA benefits, I get school paid for, I just don't know what I want to do yet.
What did you train for in the service? I know I'm always looking for military trained guys in my field. I'll take The University of Uncle Sam over any trade school, and the experience coupled with a 4 yr BS is killer. I've got two guys trained in networks and electronic repair, and they can do stuff no one else on my team can touch. Some of my best HVAC mechanics were Navy trained.

I did Mechancial Engineering w/ a guy that went through Navy nuke school. We were studying our asses off, he'd study the bottom of a beer glass. Fucker set the curve every time

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

Signal Corp is a good field for IT, CS, CIS deal stuff. This is combat support roles and everyone is a soldier. Oh and I must warn you if you do go army, you will be deployed.

The air force has great computer based MOS stuff but there is a lot going on in today's era with the air force. I use to always want to be in the air force when I was younger, than I didn't like what what going on and I went to the green machine.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

I was airborne Infantry. Although contrary to popular belief, we were not a bunch of "dumb grunts" haha. I scored very high on my ASVAB. At least in the 173rd Airborne Brigade, if you didn't have brains, you were pretty much gone or stuck in a corner job somewhere. We always joked around and called ourselves "The Lost Ranger Battalion" because of all the ex-rangers and the training we did. They wouldn't put up with incompetence. We trained constantly with light and heavy weapons, explosives, IR and night vision sighting systems, satellite and radio communications, GPS units, Javelin ATW, TOWs, airborne operations such as fixed wing aircraft jumps and helicopter insertions, plus everyone was certified combat life savers and some were certified EMTs. I am very proud to have served in such a prestigious unit. I miss those guys.

Since I have gotten out, I have attended several Cisco Systems certification courses. I just have one class to go and then a few tests to get my CCNA certification.
      12-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

RokX, I could use your skills right now. I've got some heavy iron I need "blowed up".

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
sgt_gman2005
G-MAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 528i

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
1985 535i  [0.00]
i was born and raised in the philippines. when my whole family migrated here in the states, life was so rough, thats why i enlisted in the army. the army for me is a solid stepping stone. i came-in as an APACHE LOHGBOW crewchief stationed in ft hood texas, germany and a combat tour to afghanistan. being deployed is not that bad, i learned a lot of technical stuff about my job, paid off all bills and still have money to buy a e90 325i. then i got bored fixing aircraft....thats why i applied to become an officer (i attended Officer Candidate School), be an aviator, and fly the most lethal, deadliest, bad-ass helicopter in the world. now im 2LT in flight school learning to fly helicopters.

for short the military will make your dreams come true. as long as your committed and focused.

2LT annual gross - $50,000
apache longbow - $30,000,000
flying an apache around taliban land and seeing running for their lives - PRICELESS
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_gman2005 View Post
i

flying an apache around taliban land and seeing running for their lives - PRICELESS
haha, nice. a couple of you guys were around the valley where my firefight was the day I was wounded. Loved seeing those things running through the valley over our heads. Then the A-10s and AC-130s showed up.......
      12-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #13
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_gman2005 View Post
i was born and raised in the philippines. when my whole family migrated here in the states, life was so rough, thats why i enlisted in the army. the army for me is a solid stepping stone. i came-in as an APACHE LOHGBOW crewchief stationed in ft hood texas, germany and a combat tour to afghanistan. being deployed is not that bad, i learned a lot of technical stuff about my job, paid off all bills and still have money to buy a e90 325i. then i got bored fixing aircraft....thats why i applied to become an officer (i attended Officer Candidate School), be an aviator, and fly the most lethal, deadliest, bad-ass helicopter in the world. now im 2LT in flight school learning to fly helicopters.

for short the military will make your dreams come true. as long as your committed and focused.

Do me a favor - don't mistake the IR flash on a friendly combatant as muzzle fire and chase them across a mountainside with your cannon. Some rook helo pilot nearly ended my buddies life less than 1 week in-country.

But, THAT'S COOL AS HELL that you're flying the apache. That is one kick ass piece of hardware. Thank you for your service to our country. All of you.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #14
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
haha, nice. a couple of you guys were around the valley where my firefight was the day I was wounded. Loved seeing those things running through the valley over our heads. Then the A-10s and AC-130s showed up.......
I love watching the A-10 do its thing.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #15
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
This thread makes me wanna blow shit up haha

Thanks for serving guys! I have a couple buddies in. 2 were air force, 1 in the army in Iraq right now, 1 is a officer in the marines in flight school in FL, and 2 that are brothers and both attended the naval acadamy; 1 graduates this year the other is in flight school in FL as well. If you're a Navy Basketball fan the one in flight school is Matt Fannin, team captain and winner of the David Robinson award his senior year. He's my boy, we grew up together.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 08:13 PM   #16
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post

Ex-FA officer, now vendor management in the IT division of a Fortune 500 healthcare insurance company. Go figure.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 08:17 PM   #17
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
I have a question for you guys who have been deployed into the middle east... do you feel even more hatred towards those people now that you have been there? It seems like you guys cant wait to blow sht up. Just curious.
      12-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #18
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I love watching the A-10 do its thing.
A10's are my favorite planes. I love hearing them fire. Damn.
      12-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #19
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl4U View Post
I have a question for you guys who have been deployed into the middle east... do you feel even more hatred towards those people now that you have been there? It seems like you guys cant wait to blow sht up. Just curious.
I've been there twice. Whenever you go over there, get blown up in a vehicle, have to go and pull the body parts of your friends from a vehicle that was blown into 3 pieces, tell me how much you like there people there, please. Ironically that day was Sept 11, 2006
      12-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #20
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
A10's are my favorite planes. I love hearing them fire. Damn.
Sound like someone ripping one.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #21
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl4U View Post
I feel more hatred towards the extremists and taliban, yes, they are the ones that shot me. Not the people of afghanistan. The problem is, they are hard to tell apart because they live amongst the population for the most part. IMO people who haven't been there and seen it, and experienced it themselves, have no idea what kind of evil we are facing. I don't want to turn this into some debate, but I will tell you when I was there we always recieved reports of taliban insurgents going into the mountain villages on a regular basis, threatening villagers lives or beating them if they aided NATO or the Afghani government in any way. They would tell school children if they went to school they would come back in the dark of night and slit their throats, they tied a teacher to two motorcycles and pulled him apart, and the way they treat women would make you vomit.

I don't want to get off topic, but I feel I had share.
      12-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #22
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taittinger View Post
Sound like someone ripping one.
So true.......

The sky is farting, the sky is farting!!!