E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Calling all soldiers... questions...

12-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #23
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ok, so I really appreciate all the quick responses. =) Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #24
richeerich03
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
I joined the Navy in 2000 right after High School.
I was a Jet Engine Mech on the Hornet and Hawkeye.

If you want to do something not in the combat zone and lean towards a career, I would def go in the aviation field.
There are jobs that range from Engine Mechanics, airframes, electricians, and ordinance.
But mos take advantage of the free education while your enlisted and GI Bill when you get out.

I have no regrets joining, the experience was great for me..

Anyways good luck...
      12-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #25
SPC LV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I joined the Army in 1999. I had a blast and met some of the best people that I know in the Army. I didn't realize how much I really enjoyed it until I got out in 2002. In 2005 I got pulled out of the IRR to go to Iraq after being a civillian for 3 years. Needless to say I was pretty pissed at first but once I got into the swing of things I realized how much I missed this shit.

It might sound crazy, but at the time it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I got back into great shape, saved a lot of money, and broke my drinking habit. The best I've felt in years. I also ordered my 335i while I was deployed and saved a few grand through the military deal.

I'm not sure what type of job youre interested in, but I was a truck mechanic and worked in the motor pool which imo is one of the most fun places to work because a lot of your boys would stop over and we would bullshit and listen to music.

Anyway, the GI Bill is definatelly a great deal. Since I came back from Iraq I joined the National Guard and have them paying for my school while the GI Bill is going right in my pocket. Perfectly legal btw. So in essence I'm getting payed for going to college because of the Army. Check it out. If you make the right moves, the military can afford you a lot of opportunities plus you'll have the time of your life.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 12:18 AM   #26
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks guys.... I'm going to start a new thread, since I've made a decision....
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 02:43 AM   #27
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
I was a Marine for 4 years, just after Desert Storm. I am glad I did it, but there is no amount of money that could entice me to enlist and serve under this fucktard of a "president" that we have.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 12:27 PM   #28
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

To all you who have served, you have my and a he-UGE THANK YOU

Even if it did cost me a little extra in taxes to send you thru school, I'm sure I'll reap the benefits down teh road when true gentlemen (and hopefully ladies) are running corporate America, maybe even continuing to serve their country in the government.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #29
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
If you join the Army, you're a soldier (grunt) first. There is no such thing as an Army non-combat role.

I was in the Air Force for almost 23 years. Here's my advice: Get a degree before going into the military, either by yourself or ROTC. An officer's pay is much more substantial than enlisted. And then join either the Air Force or Navy.

PM me with specific questions if you'd like....
YUP....

If you are after Technical Jobs, High speed low drag education, training, and what is many times a 9-5 with a haircut Air Force or Navy.

If you want to be a shooter, Marine Corps all the way. OR and this is a big OR, Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force SOF.

You DO NOT want to be a Leg/Grunt Bunny/Bullet catcher. It's the bottom of the barrel and you get treated as such... Nothing wrong with being an Army Grunt, but it's not exactly an e-ticket ride.

SOF can get you where you want to be, where you are treated as a professional and will really have the opportunity to develop, and grow as a leader, and a professional.

I recommend Air Force Combat Controller, or if you are really up for a challenge, Pararescue.

Be part of the Elite... SOF leads the way.
      12-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #30
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

For me I did four years Active duty Air Force, then four years as a Civilian Contractor in Tampa Florida.

I have no regrets, I'd do it all over again, it's made me a much better person. Stronger mentally, Physically, and emotionally. I was never home, frequently called away on short or long deployments so it's important that your support structure (wife etc.) be behind you 100%. But over all I look back at what I was before hand, and who I am now, and I would never go back.

You'll never have as many real brothers watching your back as you will while active duty in the armed forces. It's a special feeling and something that I miss.

One Downside... money, You won't have much, EVER. Least not until your a 0-6 at 16 years or so, then you might be clearing $70k a year or so not including differential/incentive/hazard pay. So you do need to come to grips with the financial realities of Service.
      12-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #31
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

i need to join........i need the discipline and the structure

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #32
orangepeelforest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i F30

Garage List
2016 340i  [0.00]
well it sounds like you have made your decision already but i thought i would throw out my opinion. i enlisted in 2004 and the army has definitely shown me parts of the world that i would have never seen. ive been to most of the western European countries and was stationed in Germany for a little over 2 years. ive been to Kosovo also. you will work long hours, be put in situations that you would rather not be in and many times curse your choice to enlist. that being said: today i got done work at 11, you will get more free days off for holidays and 4 day weekends than most civilian jobs get and earn 2.5 days of leave a month. many states offer tax breaks for soldiers also. as it stands right now, i am looking at getting out of the army when my enlistment is up but it has been a good experience and i usually dont regret joining up.

now all of that is non mos specific. what people are saying is true about how every soldier is a "grunt" first and i would agree to a certain extent. my mos is 15R which is an apache longbow crew chief and i think that we as aviation have it a little easier than combat mos's. i still know how to shoot, am a combat life saver, can set up a tent as fast as the next person but my actual job is to fix helicopters. i dont knock down doors and clear buildings and i dont blow up IEDs next to the road. when we go to the field, we usually stay in buildings not tents and most of the time, we get hot chow. now i cant speak for other MOSs because i havent experienced them.

any way before you sign your papers, talk to some one that you trust who is in the military. even bring them to the recruiter with you if you can. good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #33
sgt_gman2005
G-MAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 528i

Garage List
2012 528i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
1985 535i  [0.00]
328zsp,

are you in 2-6 or 6-6 while stationed in germany? i was in d 2-6...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 07:32 AM   #34
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura MDX, 2011 335is Coupe

I definetely respect your plan to wear the uniform. I've been on active duty for 12 years now in the Army.....I enlisted as Airborne Infantry ( 7 years on Jump status ) and now about to become a senior drill instructor. And been pretty much overwelmed by my experience in the Army. Been assigned to great units 173rd Airborne, 82nd Airborne, 101st Airborne, lived in Italy for over 3years and traveled most of europe during that period...good benefits especially when married.

Now a days I would advise you to look into the aviation field this includes UAV operators. Besides the technical skills they get they are not usually engaged in a direct combat ops ( besides helicopter pilots ), they are usually stationed on huge camps (FOB's) with all the ammenities found on a normal military base. They usually carry more personal stuff on deployments since they have their own aircraft. After your initial enlistment and you want out of the service then you can use your tech skill...... I know a lot aircraft mechanics that works in Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan as a civilian that makes tons of money.

If you want more action....patrols, ambushes and raids then go Infantry. I prefer (Airborne or Ranger Battalion) caution: not recommended if youre not into it. Also being in this units or job probably gives you the best foundation if you further enhance your career and wants to join the green berets or delta later.

At this time, there is a lot of enlistment bonuses they are offering with minimal time requirements. If you decide to sign up make sure somebody who has the experience gives you the advise and this includes us on this thread, recruiters tend to not tell everything.....and if ever you raise that right hand please do it not just for the money and education but also for the love of the stars and stripes.....it'll make your life in the military so much easier.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #35
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makoy2 View Post
I definetely respect your plan to wear the uniform. I've been on active duty for 12 years now in the Army.....I enlisted as Airborne Infantry ( 7 years on Jump status ) and now about to become a senior drill instructor. And been pretty much overwelmed by my experience in the Army. Been assigned to great units 173rd Airborne, 82nd Airborne, 101st Airborne, lived in Italy for over 3years and traveled most of europe during that period...good benefits especially when married.

Now a days I would advise you to look into the aviation field this includes UAV operators. Besides the technical skills they get they are not usually engaged in a direct combat ops ( besides helicopter pilots ), they are usually stationed on huge camps (FOB's) with all the ammenities found on a normal military base. They usually carry more personal stuff on deployments since they have their own aircraft. After your initial enlistment and you want out of the service then you can use your tech skill...... I know a lot aircraft mechanics that works in Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan as a civilian that makes tons of money.

If you want more action....patrols, ambushes and raids then go Infantry. I prefer (Airborne or Ranger Battalion) caution: not recommended if youre not into it. Also being in this units or job probably gives you the best foundation if you further enhance your career and wants to join the green berets or delta later.

At this time, there is a lot of enlistment bonuses they are offering with minimal time requirements. If you decide to sign up make sure somebody who has the experience gives you the advise and this includes us on this thread, recruiters tend to not tell everything.....and if ever you raise that right hand please do it not just for the money and education but also for the love of the stars and stripes.....it'll make your life in the military so much easier.

+1. Good advice for anybody.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #36
orangepeelforest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i F30

Garage List
2016 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_gman2005 View Post
328zsp,

are you in 2-6 or 6-6 while stationed in germany? i was in d 2-6...
didnt want to thread jack. pm sent
Appreciate 0