E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Jailbreak Iphone

08-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #23
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Sorry to go OT but I'm curious as to why you do this? I'm currently on the fence. Apparently reception has just recently been upgraded in my area and this was the only deterring factor from getting an Iphone. Now I can't see why I wouldn't buy one but this comment sparks my interest.

I was also considering the BB Tour by Verizon FWIW.
i have had a BB for over 3 years and its a much different phone. I think the iphone is a glorified toy with everything added. Everyone + their grandparents even have one. It does have a lot of cool apps that will get some use. As for the use and learning curve of the BB OS people make caparisons about is BS the BB is not hard at all.

iPhone OS 3.0 is much better then then previous versions thats for sure and jailbreaking it helps give it that extra bump to things the phone should have.

example the jailbroken app statusnotifer puts a little envelope for email, ichat bubble for sms, etc in the upper toolbar. If you dont have that you must go to the home screen to see if you have a new email. The lack of a flash of the iphone is a downer especially on its 3rd revision. I also wish their was a status light like the damn addicting red led on the crackberry which lets me know i have something waiting of non importance, but since its blinking red its very important! <-- BB humor).

one last thing is the ear piece and speaker phone volume on the iphone kinda suck compared to my BB. i cant even use the speaker phone in my car with the window slightly cracked as i cant hear.

the browser on the iphone blows any browser on the BB away by miles, it does handle IMAP email better also

If you never had a BB then you dont have much to compare so it might be an easier choice. I think most first time smartphone users would choose the iphone over the BB for the WOW factor which it is.

i have had 8700g > 8320 > now 8900

i have the BB data plan and swap the sim into the iphone when i think i might want to use it, but since i got the 8900 its been much less.

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 08:13 AM   #24
DrockNJ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoxs203 View Post
one last thing is the ear piece and speaker phone volume on the iphone kinda suck compared to my BB. i cant even use the speaker phone in my car with the window slightly cracked as i cant hear.
Yea i can agree on that. That's pretty much the main complaint i have about the iphone. The speaker on it could use a definite boost. There is an app on cydia that's supposed to raise the volume limit but i haven't tried it out yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #25
chinoxs203
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrockNJ View Post
Yea i can agree on that. That's pretty much the main complaint i have about the iphone. The speaker on it could use a definite boost. There is an app on cydia that's supposed to raise the volume limit but i haven't tried it out yet.
I think its called volumeboost 3.0. I downloaded it last night but have yet to try it.

FOR SALE:
Dropbox - please
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #26
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
volumeboost 3.0.
+1
      08-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #27
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
i have had a BB for over 3 years and its a much different phone. I think the iphone is a glorified toy with everything added. Everyone + their grandparents even have one. It does have a lot of cool apps that will get some use. As for the use and learning curve of the BB OS people make caparisons about is BS the BB is not hard at all.

iPhone OS 3.0 is much better then then previous versions thats for sure and jailbreaking it helps give it that extra bump to things the phone should have.

example the jailbroken app statusnotifer puts a little envelope for email, ichat bubble for sms, etc in the upper toolbar. If you dont have that you must go to the home screen to see if you have a new email. The lack of a flash of the iphone is a downer especially on its 3rd revision. I also wish their was a status light like the damn addicting red led on the crackberry which lets me know i have something waiting of non importance, but since its blinking red its very important! <-- BB humor).

the browser on the iphone blows any browser on the BB away by miles, it does handle IMAP email better also

If you never had a BB then you dont have much to compare so it might be an easier choice. I think most first time smartphone users would choose the iphone over the BB for the WOW factor which it is.

i have had 8700g > 8320 > now 8900

i have the BB data plan and swap the sim into the iphone when i think i might want to use it, but since i got the 8900 its been much less.

Thanks. I currently have the Curve and was thinking of upgrading to the Tour. I definitely would need the envelope icon on the Iphone to alert me of new mail since I'm out in the field quite a bit. Hmm....decisions, decisions.
Appreciate 0