E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Galaxy Note 4

11-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #67
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
Question: when I text a video, it says file is too large and it compresses it, but my recipient says quality of video is poor. Any solutions?

When I texted videos on my old iPhone, I never had this issue.
iphone's use imessage which sends media over the data network instead of using the american standard mms.

if you send a video from your iphone to another phone that isn't, you will get the same unfortunate quality. mms sucks imo.

there are a lot of other options but i personally would just send a dropbox link since you have a free account with them now.
Oh I see. Well you have to hand it to apple on that one, they win.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #68
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
i guess if you're using an apple to apple application then that works but that's the same as using android to android application (which you can optionally do). apple to anything else doesn't work.
      11-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #69
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
i guess if you're using an apple to apple application then that works but that's the same as using android to android application (which you can optionally do). apple to anything else doesn't work.
so based off that, if I text a video to an android phone, the quality will be great or crappy as if I had sent it to iphone?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #70
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
so based off that, if I text a video to an android phone, the quality will be great or crappy as if I had sent it to iphone?
if you are using an application that does not use mms such as imessage then it will be great.

gosh, how do i explain this without describing the multimedia messaging service standard.

if you're using your iphone and you send a video to someone that does not have an iphone it will use the multimedia messaging service which has size limits and it will be crappy. it will fill it with green dots. it's not really sending text messages with video, you're using an application to send a video to other apple users. if you use your iphone to send a video via text message (mms) it will be crappy and coming from iphone.

there are several android apps that do the same thing. i guess where apple does win is that the application (imessage) is installed on all apple phones.
      11-06-2014, 10:27 PM   #71
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep

Garage List
ps- speaking of iphones, tons of malware was just found tons of apple devices. remember when they use to claim they were secure? there's alerts almost everyday now that they have a nice chunk of the market share.
      11-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #72
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
if you are using an application that does not use mms such as imessage then it will be great.

gosh, how do i explain this without describing the multimedia messaging service standard.

if you're using your iphone and you send a video to someone that does not have an iphone it will use the multimedia messaging service which has size limits and it will be crappy. it will fill it with green dots. it's not really sending text messages with video, you're using an application to send a video to other apple users. if you use your iphone to send a video via text message (mms) it will be crappy and coming from iphone.

there are several android apps that do the same thing. i guess where apple does win is that the application (imessage) is installed on all apple phones.
makes sense
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #73
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ps- speaking of iphones, tons of malware was just found tons of apple devices. remember when they use to claim they were secure? there's alerts almost everyday now that they have a nice chunk of the market share.
Yeah I heard of this, apple fanbois should be quick to deny haha
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #74
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Noob question: so the phone has TouchWiz on top of Android. Lollipop is eventually going to be available for the Note 4. Is it possible to remove TouchWiz and just have Lollipop? Please educate me on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #75
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

Quote:
Noob question: so the phone has TouchWiz on top of Android. Lollipop is eventually going to be available for the Note 4. Is it possible to remove TouchWiz and just have Lollipop? Please educate me on this subject.
yes, just need to root the phone and install a different ROM
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #76
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Another question: how do I get email to stop pulling emails? It will eat up my data and I do not want to go over. I unchecked a "sync account" but then email would not refresh at all and it says email sync disabled.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #77
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund
Another question: how do I get email to stop pulling emails? It will eat up my data and I do not want to go over. I unchecked a "sync account" but then email would not refresh at all and it says email sync disabled.
download new Gmail 5.0 many options now finally.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #78
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

changed my mind gonna go drive my new car

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #79
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #80
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEMR View Post
download new Gmail 5.0 many options now finally.
Gmail is a all in one for imap or pop. Or just go to sync settings and set it to pull based on your settings
Attached Images

11-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #81
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Google question: Phone has Google Hangouts, which is Google's Imessage??

Also, Google released Messenger today, is this a replacement for Hangouts??
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #82
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

Quote:

i guess you can say hangouts is like imessage but you can use hangouts on an apple product as well and use it for video chatting. messenger is just a new app for text messages. i just downloaded it and prefer over sms in hangouts or the stock samsung or android sms app. interface on messenger is extremely slick and i like how i can send pics through the app without leaving it and having to open the camera app.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #83
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkM3
Quote:

i guess you can say hangouts is like imessage but you can use hangouts on an apple product as well and use it for video chatting. messenger is just a new app for text messages. i just downloaded it and prefer over sms in hangouts or the stock samsung or android sms app. interface on messenger is extremely slick and i like how i can send pics through the app without leaving it and having to open the camera app.
So if I want to text a video to someone without video quality being compromised, which one would you suggest?

I tried Hangouts and I tried to text someone, but it says they have to have hangouts as well. Maybe I'm doing this wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 06:53 AM   #84
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

Quote:
So if I want to text a video to someone without video quality being compromised, which one would you suggest?

I tried Hangouts and I tried to text someone, but it says they have to have hangouts as well. Maybe I'm doing this wrong?
You have the choice of using hangouts for sms or mms. If you want sms through hangouts you need to go the hangout settings and activate sms. (I personally don't use hangouts for texts). For the video to go through you have to be using the messaging (not texting) part of hangouts. You sign in with your Gmail address and the other person should do the same. What I do for people who don't have hangouts is send videos via whatsapp
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #85
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkM3
Quote:

You have the choice of using hangouts for sms or mms. If you want sms through hangouts you need to go the hangout settings and activate sms. (I personally don't use hangouts for texts). For the video to go through you have to be using the messaging (not texting) part of hangouts. You sign in with your Gmail address and the other person should do the same. What I do for people who don't have hangouts is send videos via whatsapp
I downloaded Textra, and it seems to do everything I need pretty well. I like the customization options for the display.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #86
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

going on week 3 with the new Note 4 and I am now loving the multiscreen feature
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #87
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep

I was going to download Nova launcher, but I'm reading on forums that it disables some S pen features, which sucks. So I'm still on the fence about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #88
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was going to download Nova launcher, but I'm reading on forums that it disables some S pen features, which sucks. So I'm still on the fence about it.
Myself I just like to stick with the stock Android stuff, next couple weeks were getting lollipop, that change has a few cool features. It seems if someone writes software for these androids, shortly there after Google incorporates it into their updates to be apart of their realm of built ins to android, i.e. swipe keyboard. I just cant imagine NOT having choices for keyboards, opening of apps, schemes, colors etc etc like that of Iphones. 2 choices, really with just the phone itself? Theres 212 carriers and 3772 different type phones that are registered worldwide and are apart of the android system and currently being updated.

Appreciate 0