E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbocharger VSR Balancing information-

11-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #23
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupepr View Post
Hey Rob, any group buy or discounts for christmas? Please
We have no plans for any group buy or holiday discounts at this time as our products are continually in extremely high demand. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Neither is road force balancing, but 99% of the people actually using those machines daily don't have a clue about: what they do, how they do it, or what they're actually capable of. Doesn't mean that you, as a consumer, can't learn more about the process in order to understand what to look for when looking for a shop to do quality work.
Agree. This thread was meant to be an information share. Consumers can do as they wish with it. We however are certain our products will continue to speak for themselves and that the fruits of utilizing this technology will help in doing as such. Although VSR is not new technology, the equipment is often not utilized in the aftermarket and ultimately the product reliability can and does suffer. Knowing what we've learned this past year, we'd accept nothing less than utilizing this process for every product offering. It is really simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 08:43 PM   #24
335coupepr
US Navy Veteran
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2007 3351 coupe

VTT is giving a 10% Black Friday Discount and it sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #25
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupepr
What a lovely off-topic post.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #26
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
What a lovely off-topic post.
If he requests CHRA performance reports to ensure dynamic balancing, it's on topic.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #27
MM Performance
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT

Ok I have some meaningful technical questions about this graph, maybe Rob or Pure could answer.

I have seen the Y axis show units of root mean square acceleration g's ranging from 0 to .05. I have seen a unit reported as Gpk, which I assume means peak G's, I don't know. I have seen g, as in this graph, ranging from .0 to 1.5 which stands for gm according to rob. All these units on the y axis were from VSR machines balancing turbos. How do all these units relate to one another?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #28
deltalima0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
You should run and buy some VTT turbos then. If your near Columbia SC I will run you with my VSR balanced RBs

N54 World Record ET: 10.721 | Best MPH 130.92
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 06:11 PM   #29
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

lets push Rob for group buy discount he did it ones that means its not impossible to do it again
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #30
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSilver View Post
Ok I have some meaningful technical questions about this graph, maybe Rob or Pure could answer.

I have seen the Y axis show units of root mean square acceleration g's ranging from 0 to .05. I have seen a unit reported as Gpk, which I assume means peak G's, I don't know. I have seen g, as in this graph, ranging from .0 to 1.5 which stands for gm according to rob. All these units on the y axis were from VSR machines balancing turbos. How do all these units relate to one another?
It is a good point to relate data to one machine or another, and to understand that there is of course some likelihood of variance amongst them (machine to machine, manufacturer to manufacturer, etc). Before getting too wrapped up in that though your best making sure that your turbo builder of choice is actually using a true VSR with dynamically balancing capability in the first place, as many (most) do not. If they do you can really only rely on the bottommost sensitivity and accuracy of the machine… and trust that the specs provided by the manufacturers of said machine are accurate and/or ideal.

Having a nice "low" flat-as-possible line across the entire turbocharger RPM range is what you want to see, although it can very often be extremely difficult to achieve. Low measurements such as this relate to the sensors inability to feel vibrations in the mechanical CHRA unit as it is accelerated. It is important to dynamically balance as what vibration levels you may have at 10,30, or 50k rpm could be entirely different than it is at 70, 90 or 110k rpm (etc), and dynamically balancing gives you the ability to view the entire spectrum. There is VSR equipment that only show a portion of the RPM range (non-dymamic), which essentially does very little to ensure the CHRA is balanced correctly.

Regardless of how the y-axis is labeled (which is typically referred to as G's/Gpk/G-Peak and all the same)… our perspective is to try to get each unit to the lowest possible level of vibration we can achieve and measure on this machine per unit. We have been extremely happy with our results thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54CherryHill View Post
lets push Rob for group buy discount he did it ones that means its not impossible to do it again
Selling more product (ie. lower prices and group buys) does increase revenue (good) but also creates more backlog and undelivered products (bad). So if a group buy were to happen it would require some down turn in real life ordering as we are constantly trying to get "caught up" on ordering backlog and continued demand as is. For this reason we can not predict when we will have another at this time.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #31
MM Performance
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickSilver View Post

It is a good point to relate data to one machine or another, and to understand that there is of course some likelihood of variance amongst them (machine to machine, manufacturer to manufacturer, etc). Before getting too wrapped up in that though your best making sure that your turbo builder of choice is actually using a true VSR with dynamically balancing capability in the first place, as many (most) do not. If they do you can really only rely on the bottommost sensitivity of the machine and trust that the specs provided by the manufacturers of said machine are accurate and/or ideal.

Having a nice "low" flat-as-possible line across the entire turbocharger RPM range is what you want to see, although it can very often be extremely difficult to achieve. Low measurements such as this relate to the sensors inability to feel vibrations in the mechanical CHRA unit as it is accelerated. It is important to dynamically balance as what vibration levels you may have at 10,30, or 50k rpm could be entirely different than it is at 70, 90 or 110k rpm (etc), and dynamically balancing gives you the ability to view the entire spectrum.

Regardless of how the y-axis is labeled (which is typically referred to as G's/Gpk/G-Peak and all the same) our perspective is to try to get each unit to the lowest possible level of vibration we can achieve and measure on this machine per unit. We have been extremely happy with our results thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54CherryHill View Post
Selling more product (ie. lower prices and group buys) does increase revenue (good) but also creates more backlog and undelivered products (bad). So if a group buy were to happen it would require sometime down turn in real life ordering as we are constantly trying to get "caught up" on ordering backlog and continued demand as is. For this reason we can not predict when we will have another at this time.

Rob
Rob,

I'm not sure this is a complete answer bc the units on the Y axis can be made to skew the results a lot of grossly out of scale. See my VSR report attached with totally different units/significant digits. Can you please answer, just trying to learn here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #32
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I can not make out that attachment, nor do we use a Schenck VSR. You can feel free to email a readable copy to rob.rbturbo@gmail.com and I can take a look.

Definitely agree though, the units of the y-axis can definitely skew what are good and what are not good results. On our machine anything measuring around .05-.1g is absolute perfection though, which is entirely legible on the 1.5g scale (which we use).

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #33
MM Performance
Major
Rep

Rob, Why is there 3 lines on the report?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #34
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Good way to show consistency of final passes, quality of machinery.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #35
MM Performance
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo
Good way to show consistency of final passes, quality of machinery.
Ok so it's 3 seperate runs. I thought maybe it had something to do with the phase of the imbalance on this machine.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #36
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Performance View Post
Ok so it's 3 seperate runs. I thought maybe it had something to do with the phase of the imbalance on this machine.
We use a very high quality and repeatable machine as top tier tooling is very important to us. Considering not all are created equal it is worth mentioning, as some can vary greatly across passes (which is not a good thing).

The point is as you stated to see that there are no anomalies across a few passes (post balancing), and that the conclusiveness of the unit being balanced to the levels as shown in the printout thus is guaranteed.

Rob
Appreciate 0