E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Yet another thread on SLR

07-19-2008, 01:34 AM   #23
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
Thanks for the advise guys. I wanted to reply sooner but my internet was out last night. Anyhow, I looked up Broadwayphoto and that place seems very shady and you guys were right, a lot of that stuff are gray market items.

Haha thanks- I guess this post is for you since most people on here are already very knowledgeable about DSLR.

I don't know about Sony. They seem to have good ratings but I was only interested in Canon and Nikon (pretty much set on Canon now).

I've been looking around a few sites researching for comparisons as well as prices since I'm looking to purchase one in about a week now. Basically it boils down to the XSi having the most features and is a true upgrade from the XTi. The XS has some new features but all has some functions detuned. So it's like XS=XTi and XSi>XTi.

I found the XSi on Amazon for $776 + $6 for shipping (no sales tax) while the XS is on pre-order for $699 at local electronics stores. For for another $80 the XSi seems like a no brainer. The only thing is that the XS is likely to be cheaper than $699 on Amazon. The XTi is current $630 on Amazon with free shipping and no tax but it's going to drop even lower when the XS comes out (the XS is pretty much the replacement for XTi).

I was only looking at the XS because it has Digic III instead of II on the XTi, Live View and most importantly for me, Image Stabilization lens. What I found was that you only need IS lens in low light shooting conditions so it might not be big factor anymore (still nice to have it rather than not though). Personally I was going to go with the XTi if the price drops a lot (e.g. $500-$550). If it doesnt drop too much or if the XS is cheaper on Amazon I will go with the XS. If I had the cash I would go with the XSi but personally I think I will go with a lower model and get better lens(es) for it.
I am one of those DSLR noobs, heh. I am new to photography and really am interested in learning and picking out the right DSLR.

I am looking at the XTi as well, unfortunately the XSi may be a bit out of my price range. The XTi off of www.bhphotovideo.com with the IS kit lens is $675, whilst the XSi with the IS kit lens is $810.

I still need to do more research, however it is definitely difficult for me to understand a lot of the stuff in the reviews as I am not familiar with much of the jargon. Tomorrow I am headed to Best Buy to hold a few of these cameras: Nikon D40, Nikon D60, Canon XTi, and Canon XSi to see which fits me best.

I'm into any type of photography, to be honest it all interests me. This is going to be my first camera. Can anyone please explain what a "nifty fifty" is? If anyone has any advice for me it will be greatly appreciated. I am looking into getting a few books on photography soon so I can read up. Also is it pretty much a must to have a tripod?

Canon XTi review: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...el_xti-review/

Canon XSi review:
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...rebel+xsi+450d

Last edited by DougLikesBMW; 07-19-2008 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:51 AM   #24
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

^ Apparently "nifty fifty" refers to the 50mm lens(es) that Canon makes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_E...0mm_f.2F1.8_II).

Personally if I had the budget I would go with the XSi. But like I said, I'm not sure if I need all of that features for a beginner. That's why I'm trying to choose between the XTi and the XS (which is essentially the replacement for the XTi). If the price on the XTi drops when the XS comes out making the difference between them about $150 or more I will go with the XTi. I think starting out the XTi will suit my needs just fine. I could use it for a year or two and then upgrade if I need to (more money saved on body= better lenses).

Note: the kit lens on www.bhphotovideo.com does NOT have IS.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #25
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
^ Apparently "nifty fifty" refers to the 50mm lens(es) that Canon makes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_E...0mm_f.2F1.8_II).

Personally if I had the budget I would go with the XSi. But like I said, I'm not sure if I need all of that features for a beginner. That's why I'm trying to choose between the XTi and the XS (which is essentially the replacement for the XTi). If the price on the XTi drops when the XS comes out making the difference between them about $150 or more I will go with the XTi. I think starting out the XTi will suit my needs just fine. I could use it for a year or two and then upgrade if I need to (more money saved on body= better lenses).

Note: the kit lens on www.bhphotovideo.com does NOT have IS.
Looks like you and I are kind of on the same page , but perhaps you have more cash to throw around than I.

When does this XS camera you speak of come out? I will wait for this price drop on the XTi if that is the case. And thank you for pointing that out to me that the kit lens with the XTi does not come with IS, I guess I was not paying attention. Would my best bet then be to buy the XTi body only and then buy a lens with IS?

Thanks for the link on the nifty fifty, but I still don't understand why so many people say you should get one, is it like the jack of all trades lens or something? Sorry I am such a noob to all of this, I am trying to learn.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #26
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep

I honestly don't know what "nifty fifty" reall means but I'm sure others will chime in here.

The XS is shipping on August 4th. I'm not sure how long until they hit the stores though.

From what I've seen, if you're planning on buying an XTi body and an 18-55mm IS lens, you might as well go with an XS. This is because the body itself is at least $500+ brand new and the 18-55mm IS lens is about $170. Since the XS is listed at $699 brand new with the IS lens, why not go with the XS?

From what I've heard, you only need an IS lens in low-light conditions. For most shooting conditions, non-IS lens is perfectly fine (unless of course you have shaky hands). Like I said, if the price difference between the XTi and the XS is about $100 or so I will go with the XS. This is simply because I would rather have the IS lens in case I need it rather than carrying around 2 lenses (or even buy an additional IS lens which would cost around $150 more than if I were to buy the XS in the first place- not to mention pointless because you'd end up with virtually 2 of the same lens).

Here are my findings for those are that deciding between the XTi and XS:

XTi (with standard 18-55mm NON-IS lens)- $630 including shipping and no tax on Amazon
XS- priced at $699 (I'm sure you can get it for this much or lower on Amazon with no tax and free shipping)

XTi body only- $509 + 169 for 18-55mm IS lens= $678
XTi with 18-55mm IS lens- $750 here
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #27
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Quote:
I honestly don't know what "nifty fifty" reall means but I'm sure others will chime in here.

The XS is shipping on August 4th. I'm not sure how long until they hit the stores though.

From what I've seen, if you're planning on buying an XTi body and an 18-55mm IS lens, you might as well go with an XS. This is because the body itself is at least $500+ brand new and the 18-55mm IS lens is about $170. Since the XS is listed at $699 brand new with the IS lens, why not go with the XS?

From what I've heard, you only need an IS lens in low-light conditions. For most shooting conditions, non-IS lens is perfectly fine (unless of course you have shaky hands). Like I said, if the price difference between the XTi and the XS is about $100 or so I will go with the XS. This is simply because I would rather have the IS lens in case I need it rather than carrying around 2 lenses (or even buy an additional IS lens which would cost around $150 more than if I were to buy the XS in the first place- not to mention pointless because you'd end up with virtually 2 of the same lens).

Here are my findings for those are that deciding between the XTi and XS:

XTi (with standard 18-55mm NON-IS lens)- $630 including shipping and no tax on Amazon
XS- priced at $699 (I'm sure you can get it for this much or lower on Amazon with no tax and free shipping)

XTi body only- $509 + 169 for 18-55mm IS lens= $678
XTi with 18-55mm IS lens- $750 here
Good point - I think I will just wait for the XS w/ IS lens @ $700 on Amazon...even though I really don't want to wait and lose out on like 1.5 months of play before I go to college. Out of curiousity where did you see the XTi body only for $509? Lowest I have seen it is at $569 and that was on bhphotovideo.com.

I went to Circuit City today and held the Canon XTi, XSi & Nikon D40, D60.

I must say the XSi feels better in your hand and the LCD screen on the back is just huge! I liked the feel of the Canon cameras in my hands over the Nikon's. XSi would be a dream to get, but I think I am going to get the XS when it comes out, we shall see if I can be patient that long.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #28
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep

I couldn't find the link to where I found the XTi body for $509 but here's a place that sells it for $519- US1photo.com. They seem very legit to me. Also the XTi with kit lens also goes for about $585 on that site too. You can also buy the XTi with the IS lense for about$750 or so.

The're also selling the XSi with kit lens for $740 (free shipping). I'm not sure if they charge sales tax though.

I went to Circuit City a few days back to checked out some Nikons as well as the XTi and the XSi and found the Canons to fit better in my hands. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the XSi now since it's just $40 more than the XS.

Note- I suggest you pick up the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson as others have suggested to you in the other thread. I just picked up a copy yesterday and I'm 1/3 done with the book. It offers a lot of insights as well useful tips on taking great pictures.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #29
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

You're right about the nifty fifty. It's a very open (lots of light gets in when it's fully open), very cheap, pretty much perfected lens. (They've been making them forever) The advantage to the 50mm is that it's more or less an accurate reproduction of what your eye sees. Or at least that's how I've always understood it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #30
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Hmm - I did some research on US1Camera.com and it seems they have a 4/5 review with most customers, and were given a satisfactory rating by the BBB.

At $740 the XSi seems like a really good deal, considering that the XTi is around $690 with the kit lens ($520 body + $170 IS lens), however my dad is making me feel like $740 is an absurd amount to spend on a camera, considering this is my first. I dunno what to do...I am wondering if I should wait for the XS to come out so the XTi will have a price drop? But thinking like that you could wait forever for prices to keep coming down.

I just purchased Understanding Exposure and The Digital Photography Book off of Amazon for about $28 so they should be here on Tuesday I'd think.

Does anyone have a link to a "Nifty Fifty" that would work with the XTi/XS/XSi? I can't tell if I am looking at the right/wrong lens.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #31
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

EDIT: DON'T SHOP HERE

If you don't mind refurbished cameras, here's a site that sells the XTi body for

$315.00 with free shipping.

http://www.cameraaddict.com/viewprod...&l=ShopCartUSA

Or new for $411.00 body or $479.00 with 18-55mm EF-S lens kit

The XSi is $526.00 body or $586.00 with 18-55mm IS lens kit

http://www.cameraaddict.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=9952380

Last edited by number335; 07-20-2008 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #32
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by number335 View Post
If you don't mind refurbished cameras, here's a site that sells the XTi body for $315.00 with free shipping.

Or new for $411.00

The XSi is $526.00

http://www.cameraaddict.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=9952380

That place seems shady as hell. If a deal seems too good to be true it usually is.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #33
number335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe

I've never personally shopped there, but here are the reviews for that site: CameraAddict.com

http://www.shopcartusa.com/cameraadd...tails/#reviews

Seems like there are 2 different review sites. One has all positive reviews, one all negative. After doing further research, it does seem those guys are shady. Bait and switch tactics.
Appreciate 0