E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > OT: Street racers cars crushed by police

06-21-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
M3 Piotr
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Frozen Black F87 M2 LBB

Garage List
OT: Street racers cars crushed by police

Check out the link....not related to BMW but interesting anyhow.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19339955/

Follow me on Insta: M3Piotr
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:05 AM   #2
GraphiteBrawler
Elton John Impersonator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 LCI M3

thats just wrong....
      06-21-2007, 12:10 AM   #3
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphiteBrawler View Post
thats just wrong....
Because you don't live in CA... In San Diego alone, the death rate from street racing is tremendous. That's where the DRAG NET got started first. Now they're even going to your house to arrest you if they can find you were street racing. Also not only are the racers breaking the law, the watchers are as well.

I'm glad to see they're reinforcing this again. This is nothing new here, but they haven't really crushed cars in a while. I believe the first story that has a crushed car was an old school Mustang.

In addition to this, SoCal is filled with mobile smog stations where they 'randomly' pull over cars to test you for smog..so all you with no cats are going to fail and the machine is linked to the DMV. Cops can also pull you over for suspicion of having a modified car and send you to the ref where they check every single inch of the car. So if you did an engine swap or turbo'd a car that wasn't turbo'd from the factory...you better take it off.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:13 AM   #4
M3 Piotr
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Frozen Black F87 M2 LBB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
Because you don't live in CA... In San Diego alone, the death rate from street racing is tremendous. That's where the DRAG NET got started first. Now they're even going to your house to arrest you if they can find you were street racing. Also not only are the racers breaking the law, the watchers are as well.

I'm glad to see they're reinforcing this again. This is nothing new here, but they haven't really crushed cars in a while. I believe the first story that has a crushed car was an old school Mustang.

In addition to this, SoCal is filled with mobile smog stations where they 'randomly' pull over cars to test you for smog..so all you with no cats are going to fail and the machine is linked to the DMV. Cops can also pull you over for suspicion of having a modified car and send you to the ref where they check every single inch of the car. So if you did an engine swap or turbo'd a car that wasn't turbo'd from the factory...you better take it off.
So extensive mods in CA state are illegal? Just curious....just moved to Cali.

And when they talk about illegal street racing, they mean organized events where tons of them meet and race ala Fast and Furious?

Follow me on Insta: M3Piotr
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:18 AM   #5
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

good thing I dont live in cali. NY is where its at. We might have crappy roads, but no one dies around here in street racing really.

I forgot when a broken tailight gave the cops permission to make you open your hood and search every last bit of your car for that stolen K&N intake filter...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:21 AM   #6
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Because So if you did an engine swap or turbo'd a car that wasn't turbo'd from the factory...you better take it off.
Oh ok so the guys with the turbo'd f430's and lamborghini's are going to have to take them off? What about all the s/c'd M3's? Its bullshit to say that you cant modify a car legally. So then lets just tell Dinan, ACS, Hamann,Brabus, CEC, ABT, Gemballa, Mansory, Lingenfelter, GMG, Vishnu, GIAC, AA, VF engineering, and every other after market tuner, along with their vendors like Jlevis, MB, mod city, and so on......That they need to pack their bags and head out of CA becuase its illegal to modify your car? Yea right, CA has one of the STRONGEST car modifing crowds anywhere in the world, from gay ass ricers all the way up to high end exotics. As long as a car can pass smog and isnt too loud then wtf else is there to be wrong? But saying that cars have to stay stock is BS. However, im down to get all those stupid rice cars off the road.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Peoples Kommunist Republic of Kanada

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...ars-seize.html

We just had a tragic incident in Toronto, 3 idiots were racing on a highway and a trucker got killed while trying to avoid killing others when he was cut-off.

These idiots were driving a Stanger and Grandam....so the political reaction after the trajedy was now the police can crush cars if they suspect they have been modified for "street racing".....they can crush the cars even if criminal charges have not been charged.....

I wonder how on earth they are going to determine what cars have been modified for street racing.

Street Racing is dumb but the political reaction is borderline insanity for property rights.
      06-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #8
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i Piotr View Post
So extensive mods in CA state are illegal? Just curious....just moved to Cali.

And when they talk about illegal street racing, they mean organized events where tons of them meet and race ala Fast and Furious?
This is why I bought the 335i and got rid of my Evo. I loved that car, but I think I got pulled over 8+ times in the 1.4 years of owning it. All while doing legal speed. In California, modifying anything before the cat is not permitted unless it has a CARB sticker. So if a cop is anal enough, he can ticket you for that loud VTA BOV you just bought. I've seen cops pull up the measuring stick and measure to see if your drop is legal...

They mostly target Japanese cars though. I rarely see BMW, Porsche, Benz get pulled over.

And street racing is all up to the police. It doesn't have to be organized or anything. Just to give an example..the car prior to my Evo was a Honda Accord...catback, lowered, wheels..nice cruiser. There was a Civic trying to make me bite while I was driving home, he was revving at me and slowing down and such. Police took both of us in as he said "I was in the progress of street racing"...

This is why you see me so anti-street racing..it gives all car hobbyists a bad name..regardless of what you drive.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:25 AM   #9
EHDEN
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [7.00]
damn rice racers...
      06-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
Oh ok so the guys with the turbo'd f430's and lamborghini's are going to have to take them off? What about all the s/c'd M3's? Its bullshit to say that you cant modify a car legally. As long as a car can pass smog and isnt too loud then wtf else is there to be wrong? But saying that cars have to stay stock is BS. However, im down to get all those stupid rice cars off the road.
LOL at 'not too loud'..the 'legal' limit is around 92 dB. I've had friends got pulled over because of a dirty bumper..which gives the police probable cause that they're running illegal exhaust. In short, they had to take off the Gt35 turbo and went back to stock to pass the ref station.

And FYI, there is more than one test. Just because you pass smog, doesn't mean shit. There is a visual inspection in which they make sure everything is stock down to the boost and vacuum lines.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:28 AM   #11
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

We have it easy here. We don't have to worry much except for not having front plate or tints. Peep out some of the threads here....most of these guys were pulled over while driving like other folks.

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?board=32.0
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #12
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is a visual inspection in which they make sure everything is stock down to the boost and vacuum lines.
But why? Who the fuck are they to tell us that we cant put that brabus exhuast on our SL, or lower that e92 on KW's, VF engineering super charge our M3, put HRE, iForged, DPE, BBS, or whatever wheels on, or whatever else quality mods are out their. If they expect cars to be TOTALLY stock in cali then the entire CA police adminstration can take my cat-back and fuck themselves with my tips. If this is the case then FUCK CALI POLICE

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:39 AM   #13
murellus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 x3m40i

what is the legality of this? i'm surprised that nobody has ever tried to take this higher. im not saying street racing is right but this is not the way to handle the problem...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:39 AM   #14
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
But why? Who the fuck are they to tell us that we cant put that brabus exhuast on our SL, or lower that e92 on KW's, VF engineering super charge our M3, put HRE, iForged, DPE, BBS, or whatever wheels on, or whatever else quality mods are out their. If they expect cars to be TOTALLY stock in cali then the entire CA police adminstration can take my cat-back and fuck themselves with my tips. If this is the case then FUCK CALI POLICE
You're safe with your catback Anything after the cat is ok..hence catBACK.

And feel our pain. Most of the Evo guys are some of the better car hobbyists I've seen. For instance, you will get banned if you talk about a 'kill'. There have been attempts by members to talk to police chiefs and such...all to no success.

It's times like this I'm glad I drive a stock 335i. There were some parts of SoCal I was scared to drive my Evo down to because of super anal police, ie Moreno Valley.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 12:45 AM   #15
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

I dont have secondary cats though, but whatever. I do think its really only the japanese cars that are getting all the shit from the cops.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 01:08 AM   #16
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

That's a mighty fine bill for street racing.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 02:46 AM   #17
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

its one thing to meet up somewhere to have and bet for illegal street races but its a different thing if your at a light in a 997 turbo and then a Z06 pulls up beside you......

but then again, i know its both illegal street racing.

good that these cars were crushed though.......
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 02:56 AM   #18
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

13 deaths in socal since march. Real number is probly 2-3, any car that crashes while speeding was street racing, any car with mods that crashes was street racing. So realistically 2-3 people killed from street racing since march. Somehow I think socal has bigger things to worry about than that. Even though the number is staggering...

As a car enthusiast, I will never live in cali, it's just not worth it. What suprises me too, is that no where did it say the cops had to prove they were knowledgable about receiving stolen property. So some kid buys a shift knob from a guy, turns out it's stolen and his car is destroyed? such bullshit..

Street racing is dumb, but it sounds like nazi germany for enthusiasts in socal the last few years..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 03:02 AM   #19
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillac Johnson View Post
So some kid buys a shift knob from a guy, turns out it's stolen and his car is destroyed? such bullshit..

Street racing is dumb, but it sounds like nazi germany for enthusiasts in socal the last few years..
I agree, its bullshit...........fuck my socal cops

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 03:25 AM   #20
Cadillac Johnson
Free taco with stolen base
Rep
Drives: 335i? GTR? RS5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post
nah the real number IS really around 13 deaths, believe it or not. it's always just a bunch of teens loosing control of the car or something close to that.

i would have to disagree with you on the not living in california part and being a car enthusiast, i mean if your a TRUE car enthusiast im sure you are into muscle/classic cars or european or exotic cars, not imports. i mean, look at these guys, hondas and acuras, for sure they will get busted, because they're young and drive these "not so worthy" cars, and yes im saying in socal that if you drive a nice car cops arent as hard on u as if u were driving a fixed up civic or something, i can even prove that. it mostly depends in what city your in too and if theres a lot of illegal street racing going on, meaning people meet up at a certain time late at night or early in the morning and go race for money or pink slips, kind of like fast and the furious style.

plus........ where else in the US have you seen a charity run (11-99 foundation) sponsored by the CHP with cops closing off the freeway so ferraris/lambos/porsches can go cruising at 110+ with camaro and crown victoria cop cars right in front of them in a safe, controlled environment?
Loosing control doesnt mean they were racing. Cops are VERY quick to say someone was street racing without knowing the whole truth. How could they unless they were there? Like I said, speeding and loosing control is not street racing. Having springs and exhaust and crashing is not street racing. Cops ASSume, that's what happend.

It shouldn't matter what kind of car they're driving. Most of these kids cant afford a classic muscle car or an exotic. They work with what they can. Should their financial situation make a difference?

I agree, Cali has the biggest aftermarket community in the world. The have some of the best roads in the world too. Plus awesome tracks everywhere. I just think it would be better if the cops focused more on murder, gangs, rape, drugs etc than whether some 17yr old kids Civic is an 1/8th inch too low.

This is just another reason why I HATE the fast and the furious, that movie has given a negetive stereotype to an entire culture. Everyone not familiar with the scene just eats it up.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 03:35 AM   #21
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

The problem with these cheap performance cars is that they are affordable. The younger crowds have more readily availible access to them, and it's statistically proven that younger drivers take more uncalculated risks that put themselves and others in danger on the road.

The lancer evo and WRX STI are major contributers to this, police know it. Compare that with a $50-55k BMW. Not so many younger people are going to have access to that. Ferrari? Lambo? Corvette? There's a reason police aren't as concerned about those vehicles.

Unfortunately, there are idiots out there that are going to ruin everyone's fun. Maybe there are some of you out there that drive/have driven evo's/sti's and never raced anyone, took it to the track, etc. Sorry, but you're going to either have to deal with the shit or get a new car. Life sucks, get used to it.

P.S. I'm quite glad to see these cars taken away from these kids. You and I both obviously know that they were most likely participants in illegal street racing. Why else would anyone mod their car towards performance? These aren't track cars, these are just road cars. It's an educated guess, not an assumption, that most of these kids should not be driving these vehicles because of illegal reasons. Stolen parts is just the scapegoat to the bigger issue that the law enforcement cannot catch them with; illegal street racing.
      06-21-2007, 06:53 AM   #22
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

They are cracking down on the illegal part not because they have aftermarket parts? THe article stated:
"They must prove that the serial or identification numbers on a vehicle or its parts are removed, altered or destroyed."

SO the reason they can crush the cars is cause they find stolen parts on the car, or the vin numbers are removed so they can'r rightfully claim ownership of the vehicle.
so its not like you put an exhaust race and get your car crushed, its a little deeper then that, from my understanding.