E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > are online universities worth it?

08-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #23
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

You must really ask yourself first if you think college is worth it in the first place...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #24
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

You mean online courses at an accredited University or a straight up online university?

Online courses yes. Online university, no. IMO

This may have already been answered but I didn't feel like reading
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #25
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
You must really ask yourself first if you think college is worth it in the first place...
If he does have that question:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...llege+worth+it
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:57 AM   #26
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I think it's worth it to an extent. I really think college gives you experience with many different things that you will need to know how to handle in the real world, but a lot of the curriculum that teaches you things that you will NEVER need, I think is completely useless and is just draining people of hard earned money.

I, myself, really want to go back just so I can finish my Associates for God's sake, just to have a degree of some sort. However, I've found that my real life experience in manufacturing has had a much larger impact on my current career, and probably wouldn't have helped any even if I had a degree.

I'm really on the fence. I think it has pros and cons, but I do see more and more people going into debt from student loans, and not being able to find jobs because they have taken on studies and a major that isn't exactly flourishing in today's society.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #27
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it's worth it to an extent. I really think college gives you experience with many different things that you will need to know how to handle in the real world, but a lot of the curriculum that teaches you things that you will NEVER need, I think is completely useless and is just draining people of hard earned money.

I, myself, really want to go back just so I can finish my Associates for God's sake, just to have a degree of some sort. However, I've found that my real life experience in manufacturing has had a much larger impact on my current career, and probably wouldn't have helped any even if I had a degree.

I'm really on the fence. I think it has pros and cons, but I do see more and more people going into debt from student loans, and not being able to find jobs because they have taken on studies and a major that isn't exactly flourishing in today's society.
all of this
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #28
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
all of this
Not sure if you saw what I did there...

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #29
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if you saw what I did there...

...Now I feel uneducated because I do not see what you did there
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #30
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
...Now I feel uneducated because I do not see what you did there
Better hit up Everest College in that case.
      08-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #31
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Better hit up Everest College in that case.
But they're closed. Maybe I can check Devry
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #32
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I also did not see what he did there.

Then again, I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, either.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #33
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
So we all agree the answer is no, right?
Affirmative. Because the point is to learn, not take shortcuts. It' snot the piece of paper that you get out of college, it's something more.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #34
markus037
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2010 328Xi

well, college would be worth it to me since I would be doing a complete career change. I was just curious to see what you guys through about those online universities. i plan on starting out at a local community college and then transferring. like i mentioned, I have to work full time since I have bills to pay and it would be impossible for me to go to school full time.
      08-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #35
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus037 View Post
well, college would be worth it to me since I would be doing a complete career change. I was just curious to see what you guys through about those online universities. i plan on starting out at a local community college and then transferring. like i mentioned, I have to work full time since I have bills to pay and it would be impossible for me to go to school full time.
I say go for it as long as you go to an accredited, not-for-profit, university.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #36
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus037 View Post
You are essentially the person that I mentioned when I responded before. The reason that more of the not-for-profit universities have started to offer online programs is because they are able to have a larger student body without having to have much more infrastructure in place. You can do things when you have the time with online but still get the same instructor that you would if you were to go and sit in the lecture (typically).
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #37
ncarter124
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A lot of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckedhim View Post
I say go for it as long as you go to an accredited, not-for-profit, university.
This. It also depends on your situation.

For example, I got my AA at a normal college (albeit a Community College, but whatever), and now work in Healthcare. My company is partnered with Western Governors University which is non-profit and accredited. I also (due to this partnership) I get 10% off tuition, and then my company reimburses me 90% of the remaining tuition... in short I am getting my BA for around $400 a term/semester. I also have no intentions of ever leaving this company so the degree will be widely respected among hiring managers from within, plus I make very good money to start with.

The moral of the story? Don't go to a diploma farm, but if it is (as reckedhim said) non-profit and accredited, check it out at the very least.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #38
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Personally, I have ADD so I can't finish a... Oh cool, a 435i just drove in! What are the specs? How much? If I put in 2 hours of overtime a day, how realistic is the car payments?

Seriously speaking, if your online class has a webcam or video, it'll go by a bit faster. If it's "read chapter x and take a quiz / write an essay", it's going to be the most boring thing you've ever gone through in your life. Plus, like others said, no chicks to ogle and the diploma might be a fluke.
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #39
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFARIOUS View Post
Personally, I have ADD so I can't finish a... Oh cool, a 435i just drove in! What are the specs? How much? If I put in 2 hours of overtime a day, how realistic is the car payments?

Seriously speaking, if your online class has a webcam or video, it'll go by a bit faster. If it's "read chapter x and take a quiz / write an essay", it's going to be the most boring thing you've ever gone through in your life. Plus, like others said, no chicks to ogle and the diploma might be a fluke.
The internet is full of chicks but I guess you do have to pay to talk to most of them.
Appreciate 0