E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions > Regarding Forum Rules/Guidelines

04-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Regarding Forum Rules/Guidelines

I've noticed that only 150 members have viewed the notice on forum rules. I think that those rules should be required reading when joining this forum and the new member should sign-off on a statement that reflects they have read and understand the rules.

There was a reason why the moderators needed to reiterate what is considered common courtesy in a civilized society and I too have noticed the degradation of the quality of posts on the forum.

This forum was created to help fellow BMW enthusiasts and more and more, I see put downs and mean spirited communication between members. If we continue to let the offenders overrun the founding basis for creating this forum, we become no better than the animals in this world that are destroying the concept of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I don't want anyone to think that I am against free speech, but hurtful, demeaning posts do not serve the forum well. Just like you can't yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater, we should be mature enough to refrain from posting words that are destructive, not constructive.

OK, I said what I felt I had to say....

....now back to our regular scheduled program....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Monaco E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
I've noticed that only 150 members have viewed the notice on forum rules. I think that those rules should be required reading when joining this forum and the new member should sign-off on a statement that reflects they have read and understand the rules.

There was a reason why the moderators needed to reiterate what is considered common courtesy in a civilized society and I too have noticed the degradation of the quality of posts on the forum.

This forum was created to help fellow BMW enthusiasts and more and more, I see put downs and mean spirited communication between members. If we continue to let the offenders overrun the founding basis for creating this forum, we become no better than the animals in this world that are destroying the concept of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I don't want anyone to think that I am against free speech, but hurtful, demeaning posts do not serve the forum well. Just like you can't yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater, we should be mature enough to refrain from posting words that are destructive, not constructive.

OK, I said what I felt I had to say....

....now back to our regular scheduled program....
"Scr*w You!" Why do they have this smillie then ?

okay, okay.....I'll go read it right now!
Nov 26th she has made landfall in NYC.
Now the wait for PCD begins! Scheduled for 12.21.07
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
335inSC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I mean - you make a good poing and all, but pratically speaking there isn't much we can do about it. Making someone sign-off that they've read the rules will end up being nothing more than another level of bureaucracy that accomplished nothing more than another required click before joining the forum.

I think the fact of the matter is that (as someone else just put nicely in the "Richards" post) people who are too big of whimps to speak up in the real world get their jollies off on coming here and flaming people from a very safe distance. In my opinion, you should be man enough (or woman) to either provide help to what may seem like a stupid post or simply move on without posting a degrading rant but that's just not what some people do.

I honestly get the feeling that there are people who sit around all day and troll the forums just waiting on someone to tee themselves up and then they promptly get a hard-on and rant away. It's sad really.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
ahcjar103
Private
Rep
Drives: dodge stratus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inSC View Post
I mean - you make a good poing and all, but pratically speaking there isn't much we can do about it. Making someone sign-off that they've read the rules will end up being nothing more than another level of bureaucracy that accomplished nothing more than another required click before joining the forum.

I think the fact of the matter is that (as someone else just put nicely in the "Richards" post) people who are too big of whimps to speak up in the real world get their jollies off on coming here and flaming people from a very safe distance. In my opinion, you should be man enough (or woman) to either provide help to what may seem like a stupid post or simply move on without posting a degrading rant but that's just not what some people do.

I honestly get the feeling that there are people who sit around all day and troll the forums just waiting on someone to tee themselves up and then they promptly get a hard-on and rant away. It's sad really.

i'm not so sure it's a bunch people who are big whimps, moreso i think it's a bunch of people with 43875175891045 posts (no offense steve) that have been around here so long that get tired of seeing the same queries over and over and over and expect new people to immediately assume that every question in the world has been asked already. these people probably aren't in the HR/training depts of their respective workplaces.

so instead they make fun of other people who don't have a lot of posts because they have real lives that don't involve 20 hours of internet per day.

dodge stratus - european delivery in 6/08. i can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

You are absolutely correct stating that it is not practical and probably not realistic to think that signing off on a document will curb the barbs that fly around here.

What might be more practical is that when an offender makes derogatory comments, they are not acknowledged and maybe then they will cease. Sort of like if you don't fan the flames the fire will go out.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
I think your intention is spot on, I just don't think its practical as others have said; it would just be another check box people would check without bothering to read it all. I think enforcement of the rules is the only solution, and I can only enforce fully with everyones help, the best way to help is not to make a post slapping another member for violating the rules. That only makes it worse. I encourage you to report posts using the reporting button!
      04-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #8
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahcjar103 View Post
i'm not so sure it's a bunch people who are big whimps, moreso i think it's a bunch of people with 43875175891045 posts (no offense steve) that have been around here so long that get tired of seeing the same queries over and over and over and expect new people to immediately assume that every question in the world has been asked already. these people probably aren't in the HR/training depts of their respective workplaces.

so instead they make fun of other people who don't have a lot of posts because they have real lives that don't involve 20 hours of internet per day.
F1 was correct in way, that's the reason we have smilies like ..

What I was alluding to were the attacks on personal opinions, regardless of the # of posts a person has accumulated. There is way too much intolerance in this world to have a meaningful peaceful existence and if we can demonstrate on this forum that we can cut a fellow member some slack, then maybe there is hope for the human race.

Peace has to start somewhere and if it can be attained on this forum, then we will all benefit from it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3 View Post
I think your intention is spot on, I just don't think its practical as others have said; it would just be another check box people would check without bothering to read it all. I think enforcement of the rules is the only solution, and I can only enforce fully with everyones help, the best way to help is not to make a post slapping another member for violating the rules. That only makes it worse. I encourage you to report posts using the reporting button!
Good Point, Question though, who moderates the e90 side of the house? Why aren't they more active? There is a great deal of housecleaning done which is very cool, Threads moved to appropriate topic and such, but I see very little "moderating" being done. Though I've not been here too long...

It's not a fun thing I know that though...
      04-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #10
ahcjar103
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

What I was alluding to were the attacks on personal opinions, regardless of the # of posts a person has accumulated. There is way too much intolerance in this world to have a meaningful peaceful existence and if we can demonstrate on this forum that we can cut a fellow member some slack, then maybe there is hope for the human race.

Peace has to start somewhere and if it can be attained on this forum, then we will all benefit from it.
agreed. completely.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #11
ahcjar103
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I encourage you to report posts using the reporting button!
caution: smart people will figure this out on their own. i wouldn't put this idea in the heads of idiots who will abuse that feature as well.

nothing like getting 38927643978349780436 reported posts everytime you login.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #12
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:

Screw you Hippie!
      04-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #13
e92sam
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [0.00]
Hall of Fame

Hard to argue, but from what I've read its hopeless.
My suggestion is start a 'hall of fame' thread and people can keep adding the "classics". Maybe someone with the "Master control Button" will read it some day and nuke a few people.
      04-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #14
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Do a newbie

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #15
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Actually it's all from me, I've read it 150 times.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:11 PM   #16
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahcjar103 View Post
caution: smart people will figure this out on their own. i wouldn't put this idea in the heads of idiots who will abuse that feature as well.

nothing like getting 38927643978349780436 reported posts everytime you login.
I dont mind it, report away, id rather stuff gets over reported to me then underreported, anything to keep the site running as well as possible
      04-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #17
ahcjar103
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I dont mind it, report away, id rather stuff gets over reported to me then underreported, anything to keep the site running as well as possible

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #18
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge View Post
You always beat me to it as well
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #19
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep

Steve,
.......you know was kidding around, right? I got your back. Seems like some things do get a bit out of hand. Not sure which got you to start this particular thread, but you would be right to encourage everyone to revisit the rules every now and then, especially since it seems many people lack the good sense God gave a goat! I do still like this one though ...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
Mr.F1 Fan
Loyal Tifoso since 1986
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Screw you Hippie!
I've read it like five times now and each time I still laugh.....priceless.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #21
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335inSC View Post
I think the fact of the matter is that (as someone else just put nicely in the "Richards" post) people who are too big of whimps to speak up in the real world get their jollies off on coming here and flaming people from a very safe distance.
+1

Its very easy to play tough guy when you sit safely behind that monitor.

People deliberately pick on others just to make themselves feel better. And I am not even talking about the newb posts and whatnot. I am talking about people belittling others for the type of transmission they choose, the options they have (or don't have), the body style of their car, the color of their car or anything else they can find to discriminate against or insult. Some people just lead unhappy lives and figure they can get even by spreading the hate around to others.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge View Post
Appreciate 0