E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Ask an asian

11-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #67
wangxy83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C350 4matics

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie335 View Post
really? i don't see how it's offensive to call a black person black... people try to be politically correct by calling them "african american", but what if they're canadian, or live anywhere else in the world? african american only refers to black people who are AMERICAN, but a lot of people still call them that regardless of whether they're actually american or not. politically correct my ass.
Actually, they call them African Canadian now on CBC radio!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #68
wangxy83
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halB View Post
They prefer lily white skin appearences because in the old world tanned skin is for farmers, workers and laborers. Those who have money stayed indoor and didn't have to go ouside to do work for a living.
I am a FOB, I didn't even know that one. I thought it was because they think white is prettier than dark. My GF (Canadian raise Asian) and I always talk about this, maybe next time I will throw that into our conversation as well! Another reason I found was I think they just don't look good when they tanned, I realize ABC or CBC girls look really hot when their skin color is dark, but some how it just doesn't look right on a FOB's skin, maybe they don't know how to do it right or something!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #69
ho_grayson
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

i am pretty sure they are not from china or taiwan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civ95 View Post
why can't you tolerate alcohol? sorry if I'm generalising a bit, but my asian friends tend to go overboard with very small quantities...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #70
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho_grayson View Post
i am pretty sure they are not from china or taiwan!
A lot of Asians are deficient in aldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme in their liver, which makes them more susceptible to the effects of ethanol's metabolite (ethanal aka acetaldehyde), including cutaneous flushing. My cousin can only drink one beer before he's all flushed.
      11-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #71
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Sum ting wong?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #72
Soni
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Just a car

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
san q
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #73
Well Marbled
And slathered in sauce.
Rep
Drives: Like an escaped convict.
Location: Just off the information SuperHighway.I'm in the parking lot of the Strip Club w/ one of the dancers

Wow! This thread could get dangerous but....gotta ask.

A lot of asian homes have kind of a formaldehyde type smell. What is that?

How come smoking is on the rise in Asian countries when it is going down everywhere else in the world?

When we see pictures on TV or in newspapers etc of Chinese citizens they are either incredibly wealthy or incredibly poor. Is there a middle class there or is it just have/have not? If there is a middle class there, how does their standard of living compare to ours?

Why do so many asian girls walk pigeon toed and shuffle their feet? And run really, really goofy?

Why do I get hungry again in an hour? (real question, not smart ass).

Oh and by the way, I love those crazy hair cuts. Beats the hell out of the John McCain white boy look anyday.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #74
Evolution_GT
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08A22E93N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMA View Post
Most Asain girls that I have seen or met are damn near gorgous
Why are all asian girls tight and hairless?? Finding an asian girl was probably the best thing that ever happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #75
wangxy83
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Marbled View Post

How come smoking is on the rise in Asian countries when it is going down everywhere else in the world?

When we see pictures on TV or in newspapers etc of Chinese citizens they are either incredibly wealthy or incredibly poor. Is there a middle class there or is it just have/have not? If there is a middle class there, how does their standard of living compare to ours?

Why do so many asian girls walk pigeon toed and shuffle their feet? And run really, really goofy?

Oh and by the way, I love those crazy hair cuts. Beats the hell out of the John McCain white boy look anyday.
About the formaldehyde type smell, I don't know what you are talking about, how come I never realized that?!
When you see pictures of China on television, I realized that most western journalists only report the dark side of China (Dirty streets, Horse wagon, Poor fellows that can't affort good house, food, and med-care etc.). To be honest with you I haven't seen any horse wagons for at least ten years, I always wondering where they got the pictures taken at. And I can't recall when was the last time I saw a drity street like the ones on television. When the journalists are in China, I guess only the extreme poors interest them the most and they also report the extreme riches to make you realize there is a huge gap between the poors and the riches. Also in comparsion to other race, Asians are more lowkey, so even there are some middle class people, they tend to make themselves sound not as rich, it is very hard to get a asian to admit he/she is rich!
About their living standard, they live fairly good, they eat similar food as North american do, beside they cook it differently, in big cities, basically every family has at least one car. Med-care is a big problem, China has similar med-care system as America, which cause middle class people suffer the most (Riches don't care, poors got taken care of by the goverment.). But when the middle class people come to America, they become lower class, that is not because their living standard is low, it is because money purchasing power is higher in China (That is also a reason why US goverment always want chinese currency to raise, it is suppose to be three times stronger than now, if that is the case, middle class Chinese will also be middle class in America with the same amount of money.).

About how girls walk and run in here, that really annoy me as well, don't know what to tell you!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #76
TheDarkone
T H E D A R K O N E
Rep
Drives: its fast

i have a question....

what's the deal with the pacific mall parking lot? Why is it so full of bumper cars?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #77
f30Seth
Futuristic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: f30 328i AW

Quote:

Why do I get hungry again in an hour? (real question, not smart ass).

You're kidding right? and You live in Vancouver where there are PLENTY of Asians to resolve your curiosity from.

Smell -> hm.. maybe the food Asians cook regularly have something to do with the smell. So, I guess there would be different kind of smell in every houses.
Smoking -> I have no idea where you managed to find this from. I gotta say it sounds really vague.
Middle-class -> Never been to China, but I read off some magazine that the number of population who can afford German motors in China is almost equal to the population in Korea. I could be wrong, but hey at the rate China is doing right now. I am not surprised. (Around 50 mil people in Korea) I guess affording a BMW can be considered as Middle class here, and High Class in China, considering the price difference? You decide.

Girls shuffling feet, hm.. last time I checked it was called high-heels maybe it's called differently now. Have you tried running in high-heels? lol
As for the food question(I'm assuming you're asking about food), it's probably because your body is used to digesting protein-fat diet rather than veggies/rices etc.

I hope I did it for ya.
      11-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #78
shimajer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135 View Post
why all asians are ballers? why do all asian kids have rich parents? haha....shimajer is one well known baller of all bmw forums.
i even heard his name before i got my bmw.
I understand how you're jealous when you have a car like this. I am a manager at a customer relations company and full time in school. OF COURSE my mom pays for everything. Don't all MOMs do that? hahahahah

EDIT: Did you finally graduate after 6 years in University? You're Chinese too. Did you mommy buy your 135 ? hehe.
Attached Images

Last edited by shimajer; 11-15-2008 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #79
Well Marbled
And slathered in sauce.
Rep
Drives: Like an escaped convict.
Location: Just off the information SuperHighway.I'm in the parking lot of the Strip Club w/ one of the dancers

Thank you for the couple of answers so far. Yes, there are a lot of Asians here in Vancouver but our communities are not nearly as integrated as we should be. We may live side by side but for a lot of us that really is as far as it goes. I'm self employed, so I have no co-workers to ask. As a result I saw this thread as an opportunity.

As for the smell, in my work I go thru a lot of homes of all cultures. I find a distinctly mothball type smell in many Asian homes. I never smell this in any restaurants, so I doubt it's food. And yes, despite my 1 hr question my dining tastes do go beyond sweet and sour to the more authentic flavours.

The pigeon toed thing ain't high heels. Loves me the high heel girls and the white chicks dont walk like that. Many Asian girls could do it in ballet flats. Definitely a pigeon toed, heel draggy thing.

As for smoking stats..for just one example check out the World Health Organization smoking atlas:

http://www.who.int/tobacco/en/atlas5.pdf

Thanks for the answers re middle class and standard of living. It makes total sense that the media is just playing to stereotypes and sensationalism. Its hard for a guy like me (I'm 43, grew up in BC) to get much of a handle on what life in Asia is like other than in Japan. China, Korea, Vietnam etc were fairly closed off to journalists when I was young and seem to have changed so quickly in recent years. Totally shocked to find out that China has an almost American medical system. Seriously cool Olympic buildings tho.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #80
f30Seth
Futuristic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: f30 328i AW

Quote:
As for the smell, in my work I go thru a lot of homes of all cultures. I find a distinctly mothball type smell in many Asian homes. I never smell this in any restaurants, so I doubt it's food. And yes, despite my 1 hr question my dining tastes do go beyond sweet and sour to the more authentic flavours.

The pigeon toed thing ain't high heels. Loves me the high heel girls and the white chicks dont walk like that. Many Asian girls could do it in ballet flats. Definitely a pigeon toed, heel draggy thing.

As for smoking stats..for just one example check out the World Health Organization smoking atlas:

http://www.who.int/tobacco/en/atlas5.pdf
Smoking- Hm.. maybe it's the level of stress people think they are in?
conceptions on smoking as life-coping product(pain/stress reducer), price of cigarettes(2~3 dollars/pack in Korea and Japan), tolerance level of smoking in social activities(i.e. Smoking infront of close friends, but I don't mean smoking in restaurants with strangers around) can be few of my guesses on increasing consumption of cigarettes. I can't really give insights on why people would smoke in Asia since I don't smoke But my older brother is a smoker and my father is an ex-smoker. That's 2 out of 4 member family.

Smells- Could it be the amount of blankets pumping dust into air causing the kind of smell you mentioned? haha I really don't have a clue on this. But, taking each smell individually would be a better idea. I'll definitely seek for the source of the smell!

I'll look harder for the pigeon toe girls too, Maybe they think they look cute?
      11-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #81
BMWdmk
*Rollin 3rd*
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something fast

answer me this:

...wtf...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #82
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkone View Post
i have a question....

what's the deal with the pacific mall parking lot? Why is it so full of bumper cars?
No kidding... omg, I try to avoid pac mall like a plague... if i have to go there, i just make sure you park somewhere that has the least traffic

Actually, the mall at Leslie and finch is even worse.
      11-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #83
shimajer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Leslie and Finch? is that where Asian Legend is at?
Worse mall to drive around in, Highway 7 Golden Plaza...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #84
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimajer View Post
Leslie and Finch? is that where Asian Legend is at?
Worse mall to drive around in, Highway 7 Golden Plaza...
Yeah...

Golden is not bad at all.
      11-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #85
alexhjs
The Muscle Milk.
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
I got my old A4 bumper hit at Pacific Mall..

The person who hit me just took off.. and I was inside for 10 minutes..

I never park anywhere with much traffic. I'd rather just walk far than getting my car hit again.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #86
SSD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 328xi

To me, the tiny plaza at the north east corner of Sheppard and Kennedy has the worst parking. It's just as narrow as parking in HK
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #87
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

why is asian girls have a small booty?
why is asian mom always drive on a FAST lane?(but they are going 30 on a 50 zone)
why is asian mom always buy such a fast car (Exp:ML63 ...etc....) but drive so slow?
why do ppl think mid 20's asian always get their car from their family?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #88
bolty
/r/trees
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

re: that mothball smell in houses. It might be the traditional herbal medicine that they brew up at home. Smells like SHIAT!
Appreciate 0